Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

AppStFan1
Posts: 4253
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:44 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:24 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:49 pm
Yea t4pizza….. we did underutilize him. I think Coach Clark soured on him and kind of stayed in his doghouse…. he was always the 4th wr even though he was the fastest player…hmm…. I think he has much greater upside…. If he keeps working at his craft. Congrats to Jalen!!
If Virgil was healthy and worked on his blocking, he would have been used way more. He was often injured and his down field blocking was to be desired.
I wondered if perhaps the WR coach did not want to have to work on his routes or for some reason got sour on him due to injury as well. So nobody was upset with him. He was just limited due to blocking and being injured? I still always thought that it would be good to try and get him on 1-2 deep balls every game. Just because he was not a good blocker to me is not a reason to avoid using his speed completely when healthy.

User avatar
AppStateNews
Posts: 1809
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 1308 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:58 pm

Washington didn't work on anybody's routes -- not just Virgils. My understanding is Washington actually pushed for Virgil to get more chances but he usually graded low in his film cuts so Clark and Ponce basically said no.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:17 pm

Just listening to Coach on weekly show.. timely quote when asked which WRs on team block the best. "No Block, No Rock"..if you are a WR with poor blocking skills, you are not seeing the rock...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

User avatar
goapps93
Posts: 3406
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 618 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:46 pm

WE ARE YOSEF!

User avatar
ah59396
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1142 times
Been thanked: 1435 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:14 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:05 pm
AppStfan1 Evans situation isn’t as bad as some… look at the Raiders cut Alex Leatherwood from Bama was a 17th pick in the first round got cut today…. Evans will still catch on… maybe practice squad…
Oh there are definitely worse out there. He should have stayed as well and many said at the time that Alex was drafted too high. He should have gone in the third round. It still would have been as bad as it has been for Evans. Evans should latch on a practice squad though. Luckily there are no longer limits on experience to be on one.
Dude, stop with this nonsense. It’s embarrassing.

Evans was a third round draft pick in the NFL. His dream came true. Staying another year would not have changed his size or his draft stock. Lots of guys make it a couple years and then wash out for a number of reasons.

You don’t know these guys, nor their motivations. And you are not in a position to claim what they should or shouldn’t have done. Stop it.

Support our players, support their choices. Full stop.
YNWA

AppStFan1
Posts: 4253
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:03 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:05 pm
AppStfan1 Evans situation isn’t as bad as some… look at the Raiders cut Alex Leatherwood from Bama was a 17th pick in the first round got cut today…. Evans will still catch on… maybe practice squad…
Oh there are definitely worse out there. He should have stayed as well and many said at the time that Alex was drafted too high. He should have gone in the third round. It still would have been as bad as it has been for Evans. Evans should latch on a practice squad though. Luckily there are no longer limits on experience to be on one.
Dude, stop with this nonsense. It’s embarrassing.

Evans was a third round draft pick in the NFL. His dream came true. Staying another year would not have changed his size or his draft stock. Lots of guys make it a couple years and then wash out for a number of reasons.

You don’t know these guys, nor their motivations. And you are not in a position to claim what they should or shouldn’t have done. Stop it.

Support our players, support their choices. Full stop.
I get what you are saying and of course there could be motivations we don’t know about. With NIL though we should see less players jump before ready since they now have access to money legally. You are right that they made the choice and as long as they don’t regret their decisions then good for them.

Returning isn’t always about draft stock though. Sometimes a player could use another year to refine their skills. Would you rather be a second round pick who is a bust and out in 2 years or a 7th round pick who plays for a decade? I don’t think he would have gone any higher but he would have been more ready.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:46 am

Evans was a 3rd round pick. Nothing else needs to be said about readiness. He was on another roster for a year or two and behind one of the games best. One more year at App or being an NFL roster consuming football 24/7. That is a no brainer decision.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

The Rock
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 808 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:35 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:03 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:05 pm
AppStfan1 Evans situation isn’t as bad as some… look at the Raiders cut Alex Leatherwood from Bama was a 17th pick in the first round got cut today…. Evans will still catch on… maybe practice squad…
Oh there are definitely worse out there. He should have stayed as well and many said at the time that Alex was drafted too high. He should have gone in the third round. It still would have been as bad as it has been for Evans. Evans should latch on a practice squad though. Luckily there are no longer limits on experience to be on one.
Dude, stop with this nonsense. It’s embarrassing.

Evans was a third round draft pick in the NFL. His dream came true. Staying another year would not have changed his size or his draft stock. Lots of guys make it a couple years and then wash out for a number of reasons.

You don’t know these guys, nor their motivations. And you are not in a position to claim what they should or shouldn’t have done. Stop it.

Support our players, support their choices. Full stop.
I get what you are saying and of course there could be motivations we don’t know about. With NIL though we should see less players jump before ready since they now have access to money legally. You are right that they made the choice and as long as they don’t regret their decisions then good for them.

Returning isn’t always about draft stock though. Sometimes a player could use another year to refine their skills. Would you rather be a second round pick who is a bust and out in 2 years or a 7th round pick who plays for a decade? I don’t think he would have gone any higher but he would have been more ready.
Boone isn't Clemson or Baton Rouge. I don't think any of our guys are getting NIL deals that are more lucrative than being a 3rd round draft choice. These guys have bet on themselves their entire lives. I would guess that if you give any of the guys a choice to be drafted in the third round and give them an opportunity to showcase their talent, or stay in college an extra year an possibly get hurt, they would go NFL 10/10 times. Think about Jalen Moore. Bet he wished he would have left a year earlier and gotten a chance to be an UDFA

AppStFan1
Posts: 4253
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:11 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:35 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:03 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:25 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:05 pm
AppStfan1 Evans situation isn’t as bad as some… look at the Raiders cut Alex Leatherwood from Bama was a 17th pick in the first round got cut today…. Evans will still catch on… maybe practice squad…
Oh there are definitely worse out there. He should have stayed as well and many said at the time that Alex was drafted too high. He should have gone in the third round. It still would have been as bad as it has been for Evans. Evans should latch on a practice squad though. Luckily there are no longer limits on experience to be on one.
Dude, stop with this nonsense. It’s embarrassing.

Evans was a third round draft pick in the NFL. His dream came true. Staying another year would not have changed his size or his draft stock. Lots of guys make it a couple years and then wash out for a number of reasons.

You don’t know these guys, nor their motivations. And you are not in a position to claim what they should or shouldn’t have done. Stop it.

Support our players, support their choices. Full stop.
I get what you are saying and of course there could be motivations we don’t know about. With NIL though we should see less players jump before ready since they now have access to money legally. You are right that they made the choice and as long as they don’t regret their decisions then good for them.

Returning isn’t always about draft stock though. Sometimes a player could use another year to refine their skills. Would you rather be a second round pick who is a bust and out in 2 years or a 7th round pick who plays for a decade? I don’t think he would have gone any higher but he would have been more ready.
Boone isn't Clemson or Baton Rouge. I don't think any of our guys are getting NIL deals that are more lucrative than being a 3rd round draft choice. These guys have bet on themselves their entire lives. I would guess that if you give any of the guys a choice to be drafted in the third round and give them an opportunity to showcase their talent, or stay in college an extra year an possibly get hurt, they would go NFL 10/10 times. Think about Jalen Moore. Bet he wished he would have left a year earlier and gotten a chance to be an UDFA
I don’t know what money our guys are making. That would be a good question to find out if any are making six figures, which could make it easier to stay. Moore just had a bad injury and you can’t play the what if game there because it can happy any time before the pros. Hampton could have come out last year and gone in 3 or 4 but he knew he needed to improve in some areas so he made the right choice. Can’t look at hindsight if he gets hurt because he absolutely needed another year and if healthy it will pay off big for him.

Here is an interesting thought. When you grew up half your childhood playing NCAA Football video game it is a dream to be in it. Could that, along with NIL, sway some to stay who otherwise would go?

BambooRdApp
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:03 am

No. The dream is to be in the Madden game which is based upon being a professional athlete
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

Black Saturday
Posts: 9733
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 669 times
Been thanked: 686 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:58 pm

Demetrius Taylor Earns Spot on Lions 53-Man Roster

Undrafted rookie free agent has earned a spot on the Lions roster.

Every season, players who went undrafted are able to showcase their skills in training camp, in an effort to defy the odds and secure a spot on an NFL team's 53-man roster.

For the Detroit Lions, defensive tackle Demetrius Taylor has performed well above expectations.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Taylor has earned a spot on the Lions' initial 2022 53-man roster.

The 23-year-old went undrafted out of Appalachian State.

Detroit's coaching staff immediately took to Taylor, who consistently found himself in Detroit's backfield during camp practices.
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall
Posts: 3777
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1941 times
Been thanked: 1718 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 pm

Jolly made the Browns practice squad.I wonder where Sam Martin will land.Buffalo?

AppStFan1
Posts: 4253
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 895 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:12 pm

I saw either on here or 247 that Hennigan got waived with an injury settlement, or maybe someone reported it. Turns out that is not true. I see he is listed on the Vikings IR though.

https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/

appstate77
Posts: 2802
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Little River, South Carolina
Has thanked: 1317 times
Been thanked: 863 times
Contact:

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:26 pm

Evans on PS with Bears.

User avatar
biggie
Site Admin
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Clemmons
Has thanked: 1148 times
Been thanked: 1255 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by biggie » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:02 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 pm
Jolly made the Browns practice squad.I wonder where Sam Martin will land.Buffalo?
Yes.


https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/344 ... att-araiza

WASU 93
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 604 times
Been thanked: 760 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:14 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:46 am
Evans was a 3rd round pick. Nothing else needs to be said about readiness. He was on another roster for a year or two and behind one of the games best. One more year at App or being an NFL roster consuming football 24/7. That is a no brainer decision.
Plus, if Evan’s wouldn’t have had his own injuries last season, he would have stepped in or shared the work load when Henry went down.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:49 pm

Not FAs...but pretty good

Starting for the @Bengals, @AkeemDavis16 had a career-high 13 tackles (9 solo) and 1 TFL
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

User avatar
TheMoody1
Posts: 6841
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Za' New Land, NC
Has thanked: 389 times
Been thanked: 628 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 am

I know he is not a 2022 FA but, Colby Gossett got his first start yesterday in the Falcons road win over Seattle.

User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 7600
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 853 times
Been thanked: 3473 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:16 pm


Stonewall
Posts: 3777
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1941 times
Been thanked: 1718 times

Re: Any word on how our 2022 FA's are doing?

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:56 pm

Bummer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”