Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2017 UDFA Thread

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2017 UDFA Thread

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon May 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Boone Goon wrote:The CFL route could be part of a number of guys futures. I think the pre-season camps start soon north of the boarder. They've spent a good amount of time since the bowl game preparing for the NFL, it makes sense to me to give 'Oh Canada' a try before giving up on the dream.
Packer's Christine Michael is being cut. That leaves Green Bay with Ty Montgomery and 3 rookies. I would think the Packer's would be bringing in as many running backs as possible to see who can best help them out. It isn't like an NFL team, especially the Packers, to go into summer workouts without ensuring that the guys they have can help them the most.

The fan in me wants to see them pick-up Cox for a try out as I think their system would suit him well in a third down back role, but it doesn't seem that there is any indication of Cox being picked-up anywhere at the moment.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Jerod Evans also hasn't been picked up which could be considered a surprise considering he essentially did everything Trubinsky was able to do, except he only had one year to learn the system while Trubinsky couldn't even break the starting line up at UNC.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon May 01, 2017 2:05 pm

ericsaid wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:The biggest issue for Marcus is Jaylin Moore. Moore looked so good while Cox was out. I am sure scouts are seeing his success as it being a great system as opposed to his performance.
Cox, sans a holding call, had over 130 yards in one quarter against Miami while Moore didn't even get close. In my experience in watching them both, Cox has been the better back against better competition than Moore has been. Against Toledo, Cox consistently found holes and ripped off big gains while Moore failed to find those holes. I think that Cox has been successful in this particular system but the idea that an NFL team wouldn't take Cox because he is a system player is a farce, in my opinion.

NFL teams often times, and now more than before, take players that fit their system rather than the other way around. Teams like the 49er's who will now be running a zone stretch based offense, or the Patriots who consistently get their guys out in space will take a runner will good vision and cutting ability. What has hurt Cox, and he even mentioned this at his Pro Day, is a lack of burst. He has one gear and NFL teams see that as a detriment, no matter how good his vision is. I suspect he will get a call at some point as guys begin to become injured but as of this moment, it isn't a promising start.
Over the past two years, they have almost identical stat lines.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon May 01, 2017 2:11 pm

ericsaid wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:The biggest issue for Marcus is Jaylin Moore. Moore looked so good while Cox was out. I am sure scouts are seeing his success as it being a great system as opposed to his performance.
Cox, sans a holding call, had over 130 yards in one quarter against Miami while Moore didn't even get close. In my experience in watching them both, Cox has been the better back against better competition than Moore has been. Against Toledo, Cox consistently found holes and ripped off big gains while Moore failed to find those holes. I think that Cox has been successful in this particular system but the idea that an NFL team wouldn't take Cox because he is a system player is a farce, in my opinion.

NFL teams often times, and now more than before, take players that fit their system rather than the other way around. Teams like the 49er's who will now be running a zone stretch based offense, or the Patriots who consistently get their guys out in space will take a runner will good vision and cutting ability. What has hurt Cox, and he even mentioned this at his Pro Day, is a lack of burst. He has one gear and NFL teams see that as a detriment, no matter how good his vision is. I suspect he will get a call at some point as guys begin to become injured but as of this moment, it isn't a promising start.
Moore rushed for over 100 yards in the Miami game. Keep in mind as well that Moore spent a good bit of the year without the benefit of Cox sharing the load. Cox always had Moore to share the load. That's not to say that Cox wasn't/isn't a great back...obviously to this point the all time leader on the ground. But, I think you short change Moore by suggesting he got his yards against lesser competition.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon May 01, 2017 2:46 pm

hapapp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Moore rushed for over 100 yards in the Miami game. Keep in mind as well that Moore spent a good bit of the year without the benefit of Cox sharing the load. Cox always had Moore to share the load. That's not to say that Cox wasn't/isn't a great back...obviously to this point the all time leader on the ground. But, I think you short change Moore by suggesting he got his yards against lesser competition.
Moore ran for 89 yards against Miami on 23 carries coming out to 3.8 YPC. Cox had 48 yards on 8 carries, and around 120 on 8 without the penalty. Cox also had 125 yards rushing and around 40 receiving against Tennessee. He also was one of the only running backs to have over 100 yards against Clemson the year before that.

I'm not suggesting Moore only gets yards against lesser competition, only that Cox has out performed Moore against better competition. I've watched the Camelia bowl three times, Miami game twice, and Tennessee game three times; Cox has better vision than Moore in all of those games. Much like you believe I short change Moore, I believe you short change Cox by suggesting he is a system running back.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon May 01, 2017 2:49 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Over the past two years, they have almost identical stat lines.
Scouts don't care about stats. Watch them play, study their strengths, and lastly, look at how their opponent affects their game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon May 01, 2017 3:16 pm

I don't think Cox's issue was Moore's success. It's that he's an undersized back who runs a 4.6 40 and played in the Sun Belt.

And it's true Moore hasn't done as well vs. the P5 competition. But that's a very small sample size, and he was also a less experienced back than Cox was at that time.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm

ericsaid wrote:
hapapp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Moore ran for 89 yards against Miami on 23 carries coming out to 3.8 YPC. Cox had 48 yards on 8 carries, and around 120 on 8 without the penalty. Cox also had 125 yards rushing and around 40 receiving against Tennessee. He also was one of the only running backs to have over 100 yards against Clemson the year before that.

I'm not suggesting Moore only gets yards against lesser competition, only that Cox has out performed Moore against better competition. I've watched the Camelia bowl three times, Miami game twice, and Tennessee game three times; Cox has better vision than Moore in all of those games. Much like you believe I short change Moore, I believe you short change Cox by suggesting he is a system running back.
I stand corrected on Moore's yardage v. Miami. I didn't account for the -12 yards lost. BTW, I wasn't the one who said he is a system running back.

They played together in 8 games, Cox was the leading rusher in 5 games and Moore three. I think EastHallApp hit it on the head, the thing likely scaring people away from Marcus is his lack of speed. Hopefully, he gets to a camp where he can demonstrate what he would bring to the table.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 am

The NFL is a numbers game. RBs with Moore's physical build are more likely to get drafted or invited to camps than Cox. Good news is Moore may have Cox type numbers to go along with his size in two more years.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 am

The CFL Draft is this Sunday, May 7. The CFL drafts 71 players in 8 rounds. While the teams do draft players from south of the border, typically most draftees come from the north side. Most of the mini-camps have already happened, the only exception being Edmonton, and the teams had to cut their rosters to 75 by yesterday.

Saskatchewan held on to both of their App State alumni in Armanti Edwards and Ed Gainey. Former Mountaineer Joel Ross is on the Calgary roster as a defensive back. Former App State o-lineman Wayne Smith is currently with Toronto. Smith was the 1st overall draft pick in the 2004 CFL draft and won a Gray Cup with the 2007 Saskatchewan Roughriders.

There is opportunity in Canada for our guys.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Saint3333 wrote:The NFL is a numbers game. RBs with Moore's physical build are more likely to get drafted or invited to camps than Cox. Good news is Moore may have Cox type numbers to go along with his size in two more years.
It's still possible for Cox to get an invite as guys begin dropping more players from this class will get picked up. I agree with you that Moore will likely have a better shot based on the eye test and his build, but I doubt there is a connection between Moore's production and Cox not getting an opportunity. If anything, it would boost the offensive line's stock, which appeared to be the case with Parker and likely for Gossett next year.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Saint3333 wrote:The NFL is a numbers game. RBs with Moore's physical build are more likely to get drafted or invited to camps than Cox. Good news is Moore may have Cox type numbers to go along with his size in two more years.
Another thing about Cox is there are already a LOT of carriers on those knees for someone who is not a sure thing

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm

ericsaid wrote:
It's still possible for Cox to get an invite as guys begin dropping more players from this class will get picked up. I agree with you that Moore will likely have a better shot based on the eye test and his build, but I doubt there is a connection between Moore's production and Cox not getting an opportunity. If anything, it would boost the offensive line's stock, which appeared to be the case with Parker and likely for Gossett next year.
I must have missed where I said that.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:38 am

Ok for whatever it's worth, I believe it has been Marcus's decision to not sign yet not the NFL's. Whether he is waiting for the right situation or The CFL or choosing not to play anymore, one thing is reasonably sure ... it's not the NFL that doesn't want him. It's not his size ( the avg. NFL back is under 6ft.) it's not his speed (he is a 4.57, 4.58, 4.6 guy) again well w/in the NFL standards. Would he be elite... no so something else is happening. Time will tell.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 pm

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu May 11, 2017 6:41 am

Can we claim Paul Magloire as another former App in the NFL? I didn't know what happened to him until his name popped up in Moose's article.

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/ ... free-agent

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 11, 2017 7:41 am

I kept up with him over the years, mixed feelings of course but hope he achieves his dream.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri May 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Was his actual reason for transferring because he "wanted more exposure at a bigger program"? I seem to remember the coaching staff bouncing him around positions and him never really finding a fit here, thus he wasn't likely to have played much. Not to mention the fact that he still went to the NFL as an UDFA, the same as three other App players.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm

The mountains are calling and I must go

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri May 12, 2017 8:21 pm

ericsaid wrote:Was his actual reason for transferring because he "wanted more exposure at a bigger program"? I seem to remember the coaching staff bouncing him around positions and him never really finding a fit here, thus he wasn't likely to have played much. Not to mention the fact that he still went to the NFL as an UDFA, the same as three other App players.
Magliore was a QB out of high school, tried out as a RB at App, was buried in the depth chart, went JuCo, became a safety, and blew up from there and went to Arizona and started.

If he didn't go JuCo, he might not have found his right fit. We won't know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”