Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Is it just me with this question?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Is it just me with this question?

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:38 pm

I realize all of us watch our APP players with partisan eyeballs - BUT --- Is it just me who wonders why none of our guys were drafted this year? - I mean, there were numerous Non-FBS guys drafted, several who we played against or have played against and close to 20 FCS or lower guys picked - I understand this is a "science" for those who make these selections and we are all just "football watchers" but really!!!
Cox, Law, Gray, Gilcrist, etc. --- Really???
ps - I understand most of our guys will sign as FAs and in some cases that might be a better option - BUT, every NFL team drafts players who they think can play at that level ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: Is it just me with this question?

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:24 pm

I am just going to refuse to let it bother me. As other have mentioned in other threads, our guys are probably just as well off being an UDFAs than a late rounders. Let's remember, the draft did Armanti no favors. He no doubt would have found a team that could have used his talents better if he had been given a choice in the matter.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am not upset at all...I guess the best word might be perplexed.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Short answer is that we don't play in the ACC, SEC, B1G, Pac 12 or Big XII. And I'm fine with that.

After all of the glitz and glamor of the draft has gone, the NFL teams will look and see who is still out there and start calling our boys. They know App has a talented group of seniors and we're a G5 school who has produced some fairly good athletes in the past. They might not get a call out on ESPN but they'll have jobs by Monday.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:03 am

There were plenty of guys that were drafted who weren't from P5 conferences. None of our guys were slam dunks, that's why they weren't drafted. Many of them will be given the chance to demonstrate they have NFL calibre talent. It's not a personal affront to our program.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:32 am

hotrod2001 wrote:Short answer is that we don't play in the ACC, SEC, B1G, Pac 12 or Big XII. And I'm fine with that.

After all of the glitz and glamor of the draft has gone, the NFL teams will look and see who is still out there and start calling our boys. They know App has a talented group of seniors and we're a G5 school who has produced some fairly good athletes in the past. They might not get a call out on ESPN but they'll have jobs by Monday.
You could add AAC to the list as well. Believe they had 15 draftees while the Big 12 had 14. That was interesting to see.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:41 am

Don't take it personally. I didn't spend a lot of time following the draft, but I did see that the Bears picked up a DII TE in the second round, but Clemson's rock solid linebacker Ben Boulware ended up as an UDFA pick up by the Panthers. There are so many factors at work.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:20 am

My scout friend has said many times there are two things " it has absolutely nothing to do with what he DID do and all about what we think he Can do in the league", and do we need him THIS year. Although he was no longer scouting he told me that was the case with AE. It was not what he did do but what they thought he could do in the league.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:42 am

hotrod2001 wrote:Short answer is that we don't play in the ACC, SEC, B1G, Pac 12 or Big XII.
Sorry, but that's not the "short answer" - I eliminated the P5 guys right up front - There were 180 guys chosen from the P5 teams which leaves 73 players chosen who are our peers or in lower levels - I know all about the draft, the measurables, the "potential", etc., - All I was saying is that I have played, coached and watched football for 60+ years and I was just "perplexed" that none of our seniors were among the 73 non P5s chosen ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 am

It doesn't matter.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 am

I don't think it matters at this point. Satterfield likely isn't using that as a recruiting pitch, and we are still putting together great teams.

I am not really surprised we didn't have anyone drafted. Although great in college, nobody really had that NFL type look IMO that GMs and coaches look for on draft days.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 am

Seattleapp wrote:It doesn't matter.
I know that! - I was only asking a question and giving my take - that's it --- "that's all she wrote"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:49 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:I don't think it matters at this point. Satterfield likely isn't using that as a recruiting pitch.
Uhh.....

https://twitter.com/Caleb_Steward/statu ... 3618407424

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 am

T-Dog wrote:
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:I don't think it matters at this point. Satterfield likely isn't using that as a recruiting pitch.
Uhh.....

Did he steal/retweet this from App State? The A is not aligned properly, and the Satterfield signature in the bottom left looks distorted like it was copied and pasted. Also have other players/recruits posted something similar? Compare his graphic work to other things actually posted by App State Football and there is a major difference. This looks like something Caleb created himself, which could just be him confident in his skill set (Mentions FIRST PICK), and include the fact he is attending App. Doesn't necessarily mean that is a pitch Satterfield is making. If I am wrong I will eat those words.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:55 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Uhh.....

Did he steal/retweet this from App State? The A is not aligned properly, and the Satterfield signature in the bottom left looks distorted like it was copied and pasted. Also have other players/recruits posted something similar? Compare his graphic work to other things actually posted by App State Football and there is a major difference. This looks like something Caleb created himself, which could just be him confident in his skill set (Mentions FIRST PICK), and include the fact he is attending App. Doesn't necessarily mean that is a pitch Satterfield is making. If I am wrong I will eat those words.
Get your spoon ready. We've been sending things like this and other similar graphics for several years. And Steward isn't attending App. He's a 2018 recruit and he doesn't hold an offer yet but a camp invite. I see these every day. And many other schools do similar things as well. Just a way of showing "love" to the recruits. And here's another one that went out on the 27th as well, just to add to the point.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:25 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:I don't think it matters at this point. Satterfield likely isn't using that as a recruiting pitch, and we are still putting together great teams.

I am not really surprised we didn't have anyone drafted. Although great in college, nobody really had that NFL type look IMO that GMs and coaches look for on draft days.
I didn't think we had anyone that would be drafted either. Perhaps the only disappointing aspect of this is that it can be a recruiting tool.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 pm

firemoose wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Uhh.....

Get your spoon ready. We've been sending things like this and other similar graphics for several years. And Steward isn't attending App. He's a 2018 recruit and he doesn't hold an offer yet but a camp invite. I see these every day. And many other schools do similar things as well. Just a way of showing "love" to the recruits. And here's another one that went out on the 27th as well, just to add to the point.
1. But is Satterfield using this as a pitch? (I know you would know better than any of us)

2. If you know who created it please let them know the crooked A is killing my OCD.

3. I prefer to eat my words with a knife and fork!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm

firemoose wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Uhh.....

1. But is Satterfield using this as a pitch (I know you would know better than any of us)? I would think he'd want/need more examples of draft success for it to be an effective tool. I could see it being effective to lean someone away from a school with close to zero NFL draft success.

2. If you know who created it please let them know the crooked A is killing my OCD.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:45 pm

firemoose wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Uhh.....

1. But is Satterfield using this as a pitch? (I know you would know better than any of us)

Yea man just eat your words. We just like everyone else do this. It's the name of the game and it's just another way to as moose said "show love". That's how we make such strong connections with kids. That's the name of the game show more attention than the others and you got a shot.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 pm

09. It's not a "pitch". It's just a fun way to show some interest. No one expects or tries to pitch that App will have the first overall selection in the NFL draft anytime soon. Very few G5 players go in the first round at all, especially the top half. This year Western Michigan and Temple had the only two G5's to go in the 1st. Both high but that is more the exception than the rule. It's no different than the pic of another type of "love" post we send out that I put at the bottom of this post. We do a few others as well. As to who does it DM a message to the App State Football twitter account and let then know it's driving you crazy. I'm sure someone can tweak it.

And you can eat your words any way you want. I find my go best with a little hot sauce on them... ;)
Attachments
AppFootball01.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”