Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State rookies on NFL depth charts

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State rookies on NFL depth charts

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:06 am

The hypersensitive defense of Clifton is getting to be ridiculous.Appster99 understood my comment. He is competing, and showing that perhaps he does belong, with world class professional athletes.One of which , “ caught him from behind”. And I do wish he had scored.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:06 am
The hypersensitive defense of Clifton is getting to be ridiculous.Appster99 understood my comment. He is competing, and showing that perhaps he does belong, with world class professional athletes.One of which , “ caught him from behind”. And I do wish he had scored.
I don't think it is "hypersensitive" at all; what I personally find ridiculous is people on this board go out of their way to try and bring this young man down every chance they get. Please before you tell me that hasn't happened or it wasn't you (I don't really care) go back and look at the unnecessarily negative comments about a kid who gave his all for App and is now betting on himself to make it as a professional. I know I am wasting my time posting this because everyone is going to fall back to the "all I am pointing out is Duck isn't fast enough or big enough". That's all this young man has ever heard and yet he keeps succeeding. GO FIGHT KICK ASS YOUNG MR. DUCK!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 am

He had is reasons and that's all that matters. I personally wasn't sure it was the right move but my opinion doesn't matter. He has demonstrated that he is good enough to play at that level. Whether he makes the Bears squad is a different matter. It is clear that he has put in the time and effort toward his dream. I hope he makes it.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:21 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 am
He had is reasons and that's all that matters. I personally wasn't sure it was the right move but my opinion doesn't matter. He has demonstrated that he is good enough to play at that level. Whether he makes the Bears squad is a different matter. It is clear that he has put in the time and effort toward his dream. I hope he makes it.
Yes, there were those who had "negative" comments over his decision to turn pro - the only logical "complaint" any of us could possibly have is not being able to see him play for APP his senior season, but ...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:29 pm

I was amongst the doubters. I Soooooo hope Duck proves me wrong!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:17 pm

My point, made.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:28 pm

I never doubted his heart or his decision. We all were concerned about his size. He is on a singular quest to prove all doubters wrong. We all want him to succeed. He is one of us.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 am

I hate that Duck left early but I don’t resent him nor do I wish for him to fail. He is following his dream. So far he seems to be more than holding his own and is making App look better and better. We are cranking out some pro players and our reputation is growing. Quack!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 am

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 am
Stonewall wrote:
I don't think it is "hypersensitive" at all; what I personally find ridiculous is people on this board go out of their way to try and bring this young man down every chance they get. Please before you tell me that hasn't happened or it wasn't you (I don't really care) go back and look at the unnecessarily negative comments about a kid who gave his all for App and is now betting on himself to make it as a professional. I know I am wasting my time posting this because everyone is going to fall back to the "all I am pointing out is Duck isn't fast enough or big enough". That's all this young man has ever heard and yet he keeps succeeding. GO FIGHT KICK ASS YOUNG MR. DUCK!
It’s like trying to convince people who like or hate Trump to change their mind! 🙄

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 am

Well you're not wrong! I just would like to clarify my position. I am not championing Duck as the next shut down corner in the NFL, or that he will be a career starter. I also acknowledge his physical limitations in particular to his height and speed. My issue is this; some on this board have gone out of their way to post negative things about the young man and HIS decision about HIS life. I feel like those sentiments are not shared by all here but the ones who do feel that way are quite loud about it. Back to your point Rek I am firmly entrenched in those beliefs and will not back off of them.

On another note I really do appreciate all those on this forum and hope you all have a fantastic Monday! One day closer to the 31st!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 am

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 am
Stonewall wrote:
I have never said Duck is not a good enough player but it is a numbers game. They drafted a cornerback in the 6th and 7th round. That right there means he did not enter a great situation. I'm not saying that as a hater but as someone who is looking at the reality. Now, in a year from now if he is still bouncing around those guys just drafted won't be given the same preferential treatment.

In the NFL you have to have something that makes you stand out. There are lots of good undersized ballhawks. His speed does not stand out but hopefully he has made enough of an impression on special teams to latch on. I personally don't think he makes it but I only see 1-2 of our guys making it. However, I hope I am wrong. I want all of them to make it and play 10 years. I just know that is not the reality.

We have had others who had a very strong preseason that got cut. Perhaps it works out for Duck or perhaps it does not. I just don't see the issue with pointing out reality. It is like there are some on here who I'm sure think we are going 13-0 for sure but odds are we will not. I'll pull for us every week and feel like we have a shot but at the end we will have to get some luck for that to happen. I just happen to think Duck will need some real luck to make it because the numbers are not in his favor.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 am
I hate that Duck left early but I don’t resent him nor do I wish for him to fail. He is following his dream. So far he seems to be more than holding his own and is making App look better and better. We are cranking out some pro players and our reputation is growing. Quack!!
As good as Stout, Moore, Hayes, Exford, and Duck were, and they were all very good players who I would want to have in every senior class, I still think the 2020 and 2021 class for us will be even stronger. We had great players last year and it did not end with those 5.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Article on Duck's INT:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2019 ... Ex2IsgEeS4

He learned a valuable lesson on that play:
The perils of modern-day stadium technology fooled Bears cornerback Clifton Duck a bit on the biggest play of his brief NFL career Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Using the scoreboard as a rear-view mirror on an interception return, Duck still was surprised when Giants rookie receiver Alonzo Russell caught him from behind at the Giants 37-yard line.

“I tried to use the board but the board had a big delay,” said Duck, an undrafted rookie from Appalachian State. “Because on the screen [Russell] was a good five-to-seven yards away from me, and boom — he dove at me. I just felt him reach out and grab me, I said, ‘Oh man, they’re going to let me hear it.’ Because you’ve got to finish every play. Next time, I’ve got to make sure I’m going to get there.”

That disappointment did not spoil a dazzling play by Duck,

tjpappy

Unread post by tjpappy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 am

Nice praise for App State by Duck in this interview:
https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... erdog-role

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 am

tjpappy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 am
Great article, and one quote really stuck out for me and I love it:

“It’s a fightin’ school,” said Duck, “and I like that because I find myself a fightin’ person. That coaching staff, that tradition, that culture. It was an underdog to everyone else, but, to them, they were playing the game, and they were going to win.”
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 am

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 am
tjpappy wrote:

“It’s a fightin’ school,” said Duck, “and I like that because I find myself a fightin’ person. That coaching staff, that tradition, that culture. It was an underdog to everyone else, but, to them, they were playing the game, and they were going to win.”
That's a great quote and kind of encapsulates the persona of our program. I'm reminded of the David Jackson statement at some point during pre-game Michigan '07 (I'm writing this based on memory so don't judge); "I don't know what's gonna happen today but I do know that the Mountaineers never get on the bus expecting to lose a football game." It's that culture of never quitting and not being afraid of anyone, I remember Jerry Moore saying many times, "we'll play anybody...anywhere."
Sorry for my meandering thoughts but Mr. Duck's quote spoke to me...

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 am

APPRIDE wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:51 am
Those who feel it necessary to comment about Duck “getting caught “. Did you even watch the play? He dove for the PIC, got up and started running. Guys were already on him. I’m amazed he got that far. Comparisons to Lynch- stupid.
wait, comparison to Lynch play is because even in one of the most amazing plays in the history of football some were focused on the negative that Lynch got chased down by the kicker...he was gassed just like Duck was because of the amount of play just before and even after the best int. of this past week some focused on the fact that Duck got chased down on the run back.

If you re-read my post I am in complete agreement about how sw
I have a funny story about the Michigan kicker but it is too long so I will just cut to the end, the Michigan kicker was one of the fastest players on the field for both sides. Maybe not Dexter Jackson fast, but fast.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:04 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 am
NavyApp wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 am
tjpappy wrote:

That's a great quote and kind of encapsulates the persona of our program. I'm reminded of the David Jackson statement at some point during pre-game Michigan '07 (I'm writing this based on memory so don't judge); "I don't know what's gonna happen today but I do know that the Mountaineers never get on the bus expecting to lose a football game." It's that culture of never quitting and not being afraid of anyone, I remember Jerry Moore saying many times, "we'll play anybody...anywhere."
Sorry for my meandering thoughts but Mr. Duck's quote spoke to me...
That quote made me want to run my 67 year old body through a brick wall. I'd frame that quote and put it right over the TIGMA sign..............

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Myquon stout has been cut by jets and Parker Collins by Panthers. Hope they find a landing place.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:41 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:02 pm
Myquon stout has been cut by jets and Parker Collins by Panthers. Hope they find a landing place.
Add Tae Hayes and Aj Howard to the list of players cut so far. I think Hayes will be on a practice squad very soon.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”