Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State rookies on NFL depth charts

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State rookies on NFL depth charts

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:41 pm
The Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:02 pm
Myquon stout has been cut by jets and Parker Collins by Panthers. Hope they find a landing place.
Add Tae Hayes and Aj Howard to the list of players cut so far. I think Hayes will be on a practice squad very soon.
Shocked by Hayes getting cut. He was preforming extremely well and was ranked 20th by PFF among rookies https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-rankin ... -preseason.

Of course, we are talking about a garbage franchise like Jacksonville here, so it shouldn’t surprise me that they’d cut talent. I think he will be a FA somewhere else in no time once injuries strike.
YNWA

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:41 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windyc ... javon-wims

Clifton Duck cut as well.... rough training camp results for the Mountaineers.
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:04 am

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 pm
NavyApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Myquon stout has been cut by jets and Parker Collins by Panthers. Hope they find a landing place.
Add Tae Hayes and Aj Howard to the list of players cut so far. I think Hayes will be on a practice squad very soon.
Shocked by Hayes getting cut. He was preforming extremely well and was ranked 20th by PFF among rookies https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-rankin ... -preseason.

Of course, we are talking about a garbage franchise like Jacksonville here, so it shouldn’t surprise me that they’d cut talent. I think he will be a FA somewhere else in no time once injuries strike.
PFF? LOL. Ignore everything PFF says. They are no better or worse than the normal media outlets. Everyone promotes them because their stuff looks cool and how they talk sounds good but those guys are not football guys. You are seriously wasting your time if you look at their rankings, awards, or put any stock in them. My connection who gave me pro day info and told me Duck would not only not get drafted but would get cut and make the practice squad at best to start the year said nobody in NFL personnel departments respects or uses PFF. Their teams do for marketing and media purposes but told me the PFF grades are garbage. I had kind of thought that myself already but good to see someone who is in the know back that up.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:10 am

PhillyApp wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:41 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windyc ... javon-wims

Clifton Duck cut as well.... rough training camp results for the Mountaineers.
We expected that. Jalin Moore was the only rookie I fully expected to make it. Now, I do think 1-2 might make a practice squad. It is a numbers game. I hope people can see why I don't like anyone going pro early unless they are a lock to get drafted in the top 3 rounds. There are some guys drafted late this year who got cut and will just end up on a practice squad.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:14 am

Duck and Tae should both make practice squads.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:16 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:04 am
ah59396 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:

PFF? LOL. Ignore everything PFF says. They are no better or worse than the normal media outlets. Everyone promotes them because their stuff looks cool and how they talk sounds good but those guys are not football guys. You are seriously wasting your time if you look at their rankings, awards, or put any stock in them. My connection who gave me pro day info and told me Duck would not only not get drafted but would get cut and make the practice squad at best to start the year said nobody in NFL personnel departments respects or uses PFF. Their teams do for marketing and media purposes but told me the PFF grades are garbage. I had kind of thought that myself already but good to see someone who is in the know back that up.
Feel free to share your superior alternative resources
YNWA

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:41 am

No surprises. Hopefully they get another shot.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:16 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Go back and read pro day thread. I told what my friend had kept telling me about Duck and pro day results. That same person told me that PFF grades and stats are bogus. I looked at them and it made sense.

Go buy their preseason draft guide. It looks great but it is just analytics based on stats. They don't really know how to evaluate a player's athletic ability and some of the stats they claim they can't possibly know without getting assignments from coaches, which they do not. Why would our coaches send them the assignments for every play? Coaches would never do that. They don't want their playbook out there.

Show me where PFF does a great job and where their results are so much better. They are somewhat new and only been around about 4-5 years max. People need to show us why they are better since they had no track record.

If their grades were accurate then Duck and Hayes would not have been cut at all.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:57 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm
ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:

Go back and read pro day thread. I told what my friend had kept telling me about Duck and pro day results. That same person told me that PFF grades and stats are bogus. I looked at them and it made sense.

Go buy their preseason draft guide. It looks great but it is just analytics based on stats. They don't really know how to evaluate a player's athletic ability and some of the stats they claim they can't possibly know without getting assignments from coaches, which they do not. Why would our coaches send them the assignments for every play? Coaches would never do that. They don't want their playbook out there.

Show me where PFF does a great job and where their results are so much better. They are somewhat new and only been around about 4-5 years max. People need to show us why they are better since they had no track record.

If their grades were accurate then Duck and Hayes would not have been cut at all.
Uhhh, I just asked you to share your alternative source for player evaluation. Im not here to defend PFF. PFF is just commonly referenced on almost all media outlets, so it seems fairly legit. But you like you said, they use analytics based on statistics, so it’s probably nonsense.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:46 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm
ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Uhhh, I just asked you to share your alternative source for player evaluation. Im not here to defend PFF. PFF is just commonly referenced on almost all media outlets, so it seems fairly legit. But you like you said, they use analytics based on statistics, so it’s probably nonsense.
There is no official source. We have to remember that the media is guessing best they can. They get some right and miss some. PFF has had so many blunders. Remember that Cody O'Connell from Washington State? That massive 340 pound guard. They had him as #1 OG in college football and he not only went undrafted but did not make it. That's one of about 100 laughable examples they have had the last 3-4 years.

Best way to judge players is their physical tools. That is what the NFL does that we often don't think about. Just because you run for 1,000 yards in a season does not mean you can play in the NFL. There are backups in FBS who will make it in the NFL. There are All-Americans that will never make a NFL 53-man roster every year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Duck did not make the Bears practice squad. Hayes made the Jaguars.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ize-squads

My friend told me that teams usually lean towards a draft pick and if they take the undrafted player then that player was lights out both on special teams and on their side of the ball. Remember when I mentioned the numbers game and the Bears picked a 6'2 CB in the 7th round this year? They kept that guy. It is all about your tools. If you are small you have to really stand out and dominate. It is just how it is.

I feel pretty good about what my buddy with NFL connections tells me. He said Hayes was better and he made it. Said Duck was 50/50 to make Bears at best and he ended up being right. Duck can go to XFL and ball out though. I bet he would dominate there. He said we would likely not have a draft pick at all because Moore's injury was worse than reported. All of that ended up being dead on the money.

If anyone has a question about our class this year just ask and I'll ask him. I do know before he said Johnson, Fehr, Thomas, Franklin, and Gaither are getting strong looks and Gaither is our top rated guy as of August.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 pm

It's obvious Duck made a mistake in not staying for his senior year.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Marcus Cox was as good a runner as I’ve seen in Boone sans John Settle.He didn’t have NFL numbers either.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:11 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 pm
Another year at APP would not make him taller, stronger or faster - I was sorry to see him go early simply because of selfish reasons as a fan - he did what he thought was best and I support that
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:15 pm

The real mistake , in my opinion, was not getting his degree.He can remedy that but will take a financial hit.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm

NewApp wrote:
I disagree. He will be on a team yet.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:30 pm

And if he stayed around and played this year he would have a degree and then when he got cut he would have a degree to fall back on. Everyone that says he wasn't going to grow in another year misses the point and that is that he was too small for the NFL, by their standards bc they are far more concerned with measurables, regardless of what year he went into the league. Yes, he probably wasn't going to improve his draft prospect with an extra year in college, but he would have a degree and STILL be in the same position, or better, than he was after his junior year. I with nothing but the best for DUCK, I just think he got some bad advice and really wish we had him on our defense for another year. He was a special player for us.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:11 pm
NewApp wrote:
Another year at APP would not make him taller, stronger or faster - I was sorry to see him go early simply because of selfish reasons as a fan - he did what he thought was best and I support that

Point is, he could have been a part of another successful season at App and enjoyed the college experience another year. He can not get that back. He has now lost his scholarship.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:45 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm
NewApp wrote:
I disagree. He will be on a team yet.
So, if he was not deemed good enough for the Bears, who else would sign him? Do you mean Canadian ball?
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:41 am

The Bears were, IIRC, the best defense in the league last year. Tough roster to crack.

Plus, guys get hurt and spots open up. UDFAs often have to start on the practice squad before making a roster. (Wasn’t that how it went for Doug Middleton?)

Hopefully Duck and Hayes both get their shot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”