Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2020 NFL combine

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2020 NFL combine

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:26 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:48 am
Evans proved what we already knew.... He is a smooth runner with technically sound skills in the running/receiving game and he had breakaway speed. He is not overly explosive and won't blow up NFL tacklers. Ive been expecting him to go 5th-6th to a team who will want his diverse skill set in the return game and backfield (I always compare him to James White, NE). He didn't hurt himself at the combine, and in fact, probably raised some eyebrows with his smoothness on full display. I would expects scouts to want to do some specific drills with him at a proday to really test his versatility.

Great day young man, look forward to seeing you on Sundays. Just don't go play for the Falcons or Cowboys.
Pro day will be big for him. Something to keep track of to gauge stock even more is how many RB coaches show up. I would say the number of directors, GMs, and higher ups outside of area scouts would be one but with Gaither there they could be at App for him. The number of position coaches often tells you who will get drafted and how high.

I personally thought he was 5th-6th like you have him before I talked to scouts and even some of them have him that low.

Folks on here need to keep in mind that Jeremiah could be dead on with Evans but he is an App alumni so he may be a little biased. I love having an App guy at NFL Network and he does a great job though.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:23 am
AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:46 am
While I agree in general with those comments. The reality was he was a tenth of your projection on his official time of 4:41. Together with his vertical and broad jump and his field work certainly solidified his position as a 3rd or 4th rounder (which is making $$$$). I loved when Daniel Jeremiah kept saying “ that is App State speed.”
All I have said before, unless I state is my own opinion, is coming from what NFL scouts, agents, or a coach has told me.

Making money means you are going higher after the combine than you were going into it. He solidified himself but this workout just confirmed what the teams thought. Sometimes schools are not accurate with times but App was close and that helps big time when a school is accurate and his play speed matches their times and what he actually runs. If he had run a 4.35 and jumped crazy freak numbers he would have moved up boards.

I got a text from a scout at the combine who said the Colts were his only formal interview and they think he could be one of their targets in round 3 or 4. My source said many teams have Evans in the 5th or 6th round with just a few having him in round 3 or 4 so he may or may not go top 100.

I'm told coaches can often effect stock a lot because they come in the process late and these workouts are the first thing many of them see outside of the Senior Bowl. I'm told coaches will move players up after the combine and scouts won't see it on their board until off the road from pro days. Happens a lot.

As for the Jeremiah comment. I liked hearing it as well. People in the business refer to it as SEC speed but if we keep this up maybe we will be known as App State speed by more than just our alumni! We do have some players like Hennigan who can't run fast at all but Evans certainly is not the last of the good speed.
I’ll take a Hennigan in every recruiting class!!! Just gets it done.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Henni has incredible hands and is a high IQ receiver. Good body control and timing. He would be an easy early to mid round draft pick with those hands if his feet weren't so heavy. He still may carve himself out a role with those hands. At this point, Corey is the most complete receiver we have had come out of App, even with the injury, he could be an early draft pick.
Last edited by appstatealum on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:58 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:23 am
AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:46 am
While I agree in general with those comments. The reality was he was a tenth of your projection on his official time of 4:41. Together with his vertical and broad jump and his field work certainly solidified his position as a 3rd or 4th rounder (which is making $$$$). I loved when Daniel Jeremiah kept saying “ that is App State speed.”
All I have said before, unless I state is my own opinion, is coming from what NFL scouts, agents, or a coach has told me.

Making money means you are going higher after the combine than you were going into it. He solidified himself but this workout just confirmed what the teams thought. Sometimes schools are not accurate with times but App was close and that helps big time when a school is accurate and his play speed matches their times and what he actually runs. If he had run a 4.35 and jumped crazy freak numbers he would have moved up boards.

I got a text from a scout at the combine who said the Colts were his only formal interview and they think he could be one of their targets in round 3 or 4. My source said many teams have Evans in the 5th or 6th round with just a few having him in round 3 or 4 so he may or may not go top 100.

I'm told coaches can often effect stock a lot because they come in the process late and these workouts are the first thing many of them see outside of the Senior Bowl. I'm told coaches will move players up after the combine and scouts won't see it on their board until off the road from pro days. Happens a lot.

As for the Jeremiah comment. I liked hearing it as well. People in the business refer to it as SEC speed but if we keep this up maybe we will be known as App State speed by more than just our alumni! We do have some players like Hennigan who can't run fast at all but Evans certainly is not the last of the good speed.
I’ll take a Hennigan in every recruiting class!!! Just gets it done.
Definitely. He just won't separate from people in open space but man he gets open and catches everything. He is one of those examples of why you don't have to have elite speed and be good. It is why I laugh when people fawn all over a 4.3 40 because there are guys who run a 4.3 and can't get open or catch anything.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:23 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:45 pm
Henni has incredible hands and is a high IQ receiver. Good body control and timing. He would be an easy early toid round draft pick with those hands if his feet weren't so heavy. He still may carve himself out a role with those hands. At this point, Corey is the most complete receiver we have had come out of App, even with the injury, he could be an early draft pick.
I agree. Hennigan probably won't get drafted and if he does it would be late but I could see him carve out a role. Hennigan is the type of player that if he can run 4.5s he would truly help himself. He looks 4.62-4.65 40 speed on tape.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 pm

"Darrynton Evans, RB, Appalachian State:
Evans challenged Taylor for the quickest feet at Lucas Oil Stadium. His 4.41-second 40 got everyone's attention. Then the former Mountaineer, who left school with one season of eligibility remaining, put on a show during drills. He got his knees up and down in a hurry over bags and also cut as smoothly and quickly as any back I've seen at the combine. He also acquitted himself well in pass-catching drills. At 5-10, 203, teams may not consider him a three-down back, but I'm not sure there are many of those anymore."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rfs-shines
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm

moonshine wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 pm
Evans challenged Taylor for the quickest feet at Lucas Oil Stadium. His 4.41-second 40 got everyone's attention. Then the former Mountaineer, who left school with one season of eligibility remaining, put on a show during drills. He got his knees up and down in a hurry over bags and also cut as smoothly and quickly as any back I've seen at the combine. He also acquitted himself well in pass-catching drills. At 5-10, 203, teams may not consider him a three-down back, but I'm not sure there are many of those anymore."

Love seeing this! At the very least Darryton got his name out there in a positive light. He did what he needed to there now it's on to the next step of the draft process for him.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:02 pm

moonshine wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 pm

I get what he is saying about 3-down backs with his size but he is too good on pass catching downs and strong enough to learn to block that he should be able to become one.

Great to see press like this on NFL.com though. Helps his brand name even more.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Big day for Gaither. If he can somehow run 4.50 range or hit 4.4s he helps himself big time. I'm told he is expected to run 4.55-4.60 range.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Big day for Gaither. If he can somehow run 4.50 range or hit 4.4s he helps himself big time. I'm told he is expected to run 4.55-4.60 range.
Gaither is done at the combine due to a planned surgery on his foot. Who is telling you he’s expected to run?

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/sur ... r-prospect
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:33 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Gaither is done at the combine due to a planned surgery on his foot. Who is telling you he’s expected to run?

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/sur ... r-prospect
I was just about to post from NFL.com report. I'm told he is shut down until May. I texted with 2 people at the combine and they said Gaither likely goes in 4th with ceiling late 3rd and floor mid 5th now. He could have put himself in 2nd round with a big workout.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Injury happened back at the Carolina game, word is that his camp deciding its best to have the surgery done and be right for the NFL season. His worth has been proven on the field, hopefully that keeps him on the same path.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Injury happened back at the Carolina game, word is that his camp deciding its best to have the surgery done and be right for the NFL season. His worth has been proven on the field, hopefully that keeps him on the same path.
I wonder why they did not have surgery immediately after the bowl game and plan to be ready for the combine or pro day? Waiting like he did, if they indeed knew this long ago, was not the best move. I agree worth is proven on the field but teams like to see players answer some questions in drills that they maybe did not see answered during the season. For example, if you are in a defense that does not ask you to cover much, if any, teams want to see you drop and cover in the postseason.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm
appstatealum wrote:
I wonder why they did not have surgery immediately after the bowl game and plan to be ready for the combine or pro day? Waiting like he did, if they indeed knew this long ago, was not the best move. I agree worth is proven on the field but teams like to see players answer some questions in drills that they maybe did not see answered during the season. For example, if you are in a defense that does not ask you to cover much, if any, teams want to see you drop and cover in the postseason.
Apparently the coaches have been letting scouts know for some time, so this isn't anything new to analysts and scouts. Seems like odd timing to me as well, but it's not an injury that should be expected to linger long term.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Apparently the coaches have been letting scouts know for some time, so this isn't anything new to analysts and scouts. Seems like odd timing to me as well, but it's not an injury that should be expected to linger long term.
Everyone knew about the injury but they all did not know he was shutting it down completely. I just texted with two people who said they found that out today.

The best move is have any surgery as soon as the last game is done and just miss all-star games. Combine is more important than all-star games and if you can't work out at combine then do so at the pro day. Every chance to test for teams is a chance to improve your stock.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 pm

Not trying to completely disagree with you, but his showing at the Senior Bowl this year has been huge for his stock. Over the last five years the Senior Bowl has become a huge piece of the pre draft process. Every NFL teams is represented there and two teams ha e their coaching staffs working these kids through drills to see how they handle the coaching. We got to see ADG shift back to the middle and he was head and shoulders above every other linebacker there. His speed popped off the screen, was mentioned quite a bit. The only piece of the combine he missed that wasn't covered in the senior bowl would be the underwear Olympics (40, vert, broad, shuttles). Sure they could bolster his stock but he made a business decision he and his camp thought would be better for him; which would be to put more film of him in the middle against the highest level of competition. He still showed up to the combine, measured well, had a solid bench and fairly confident he nailed the interviews. To say him not running would drop him two full rounds in the draft seems a tad dramatic. He has great cumulative numbers, great tape across multiple years I don't see his stock dropping because of a minor foot injury.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Keep in mind that he was the conference DPoY while playing on a fractured foot. That in itself should be enough to tell teams what they are getting.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 pm

He showed out with a fractured foot at the Senior Bowl.....Nuff said

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:46 pm

Yeah, the combine has lost its significance in a lot of ways. It's sort of like the "All Star game" of the draft process. You want the extra limelight, but it's not the end all be all.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:29 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 pm
Not trying to completely disagree with you, but his showing at the Senior Bowl this year has been huge for his stock. Over the last five years the Senior Bowl has become a huge piece of the pre draft process. Every NFL teams is represented there and two teams ha e their coaching staffs working these kids through drills to see how they handle the coaching. We got to see ADG shift back to the middle and he was head and shoulders above every other linebacker there. His speed popped off the screen, was mentioned quite a bit. The only piece of the combine he missed that wasn't covered in the senior bowl would be the underwear Olympics (40, vert, broad, shuttles). Sure they could bolster his stock but he made a business decision he and his camp thought would be better for him; which would be to put more film of him in the middle against the highest level of competition. He still showed up to the combine, measured well, had a solid bench and fairly confident he nailed the interviews. To say him not running would drop him two full rounds in the draft seems a tad dramatic. He has great cumulative numbers, great tape across multiple years I don't see his stock dropping because of a minor foot injury.
I agree it was huge and everything you said is right. The minor foot injury itself won't hurt his stock but it would have been good to verify his speed and drills. He clearly kept speed when he gained weight in Mobile but it would be good to see what he runs and how he moves at 224. I think that only helps and enforces the fact he could definitely stay at linebacker instead of having to play safety.

In reality, if it is indeed a 6 week injury like people are saying he probably could have played in Mobile as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”