Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2020 NFL combine

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2020 NFL combine

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 pm
I may be oblivious but I don’t have a problem with people who have some kind of access.....
I think all but maybe 3 or 4 people on here are with you. I'm the same as you. I appreciate all the inside recruiting access that AppSt94 and Moose share. They do a great job there.

I think our own people, just like fans of every other school, want to think that every decision our players and coaches make are always right. I by myself obviously don't know everything but when it comes to our players for the NFL and anything related to their draft process I ask and share what I can.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:45 pm
https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/1/2 ... he-combine

Doesn't look like Evans participated in shuttle drills per this article. Everything I am reading on Evans reminds me of a lot of the things that were being said about Travaris Cadet when he was looking to break into the league.
I can definitely see why. There were just two big differences in them. Evans is faster and Cadet had injury issues. That is why Cadet went undrafted and Evans may sneak into 3 or be a 4th or 5th round pick.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:54 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:38 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 am
AppinVA wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 pm
I don’t see how the combine is much more important than an all star game. One shows how well a player does in practice and game-like conditions. The other is a modified indoor track meet.
In general you are right about the all-star game but you are comparing it to what you see on TV. The most important part is the medical tests and interviews, which we don't see.

Look at it this way. If Gaither could have had this done a long time ago and been 100% maybe he clears the tests this week and does not have to return for a recheck in April just before the draft. That is the biggest reason for why I said what I did. Moore's injury was worse and when he went back for a recheck his progress was not as good as they hoped for.

Say Gaither goes this week after 2 months of rehab and is still not 100% it would have been good to know the injury is worse than it is. Because he waited he will have this cloud over his head with having to go back and get checked out again just before the draft. Like I said, he will still get drafted but when teams are spending millions on these guys I understand it is important for them to get as much verifiable data and to see as much of the rehab done as possible.

Tua went ahead and had his surgery to get it done as early as possible. Most scouts say if a player has an injury it is best to get it fixed as early as possible instead of waiting and playing on it. You increase the likelihood of re-aggravating it and extending the rehab time when you play on it.
So, ADG aside, if the interviews and physicals were done in conjunction with the all-star games, the track meet would seemingly be useless.
Still though, if you have an injury like that every trainer will tell you it is best to have surgery as soon as you can. He could have injured it worse at the Senior Bowl on day one and not helped himself. He took a gamble. So far it has not hurt him but he needs to be 100% before the draft.
After talking to some NFL guys, apparently this is common....player wants to play out their senior year, feels like they should just notify scouts about injury and wait for combine/team physicians to advise on surgery. I knew about the injury (it happened in the UNC game), but had no idea it had lingered. ADG will be fine, his skillset works will for today’s NFL. Could he drop? Maybe, but he will have his moment and I have no doubt he will make the most of it.
The Appalachian State

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... ral#slide0

Gotta love the Cinderellas. Hope this pans out for Dugger. North Dakota State guy out there as well.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 pm
I don’t see how the combine is much more important than an all star game. One shows how well a player does in practice and game-like conditions. The other is a modified indoor track meet.
In general you are right about the all-star game but you are comparing it to what you see on TV. The most important part is the medical tests and interviews, which we don't see.

Look at it this way. If Gaither could have had this done a long time ago and been 100% maybe he clears the tests this week and does not have to return for a recheck in April just before the draft. That is the biggest reason for why I said what I did. Moore's injury was worse and when he went back for a recheck his progress was not as good as they hoped for.

Say Gaither goes this week after 2 months of rehab and is still not 100% it would have been good to know the injury is worse than it is. Because he waited he will have this cloud over his head with having to go back and get checked out again just before the draft. Like I said, he will still get drafted but when teams are spending millions on these guys I understand it is important for them to get as much verifiable data and to see as much of the rehab done as possible.

Tua went ahead and had his surgery to get it done as early as possible. Most scouts say if a player has an injury it is best to get it fixed as early as possible instead of waiting and playing on it. You increase the likelihood of re-aggravating it and extending the rehab time when you play on it.
So, ADG aside, if the interviews and physicals were done in conjunction with the all-star games, the track meet would seemingly be useless.
Still though, if you have an injury like that every trainer will tell you it is best to have surgery as soon as you can. He could have injured it worse at the Senior Bowl on day one and not helped himself. He took a gamble. So far it has not hurt him but he needs to be 100% before the draft.
After talking to some NFL guys, apparently this is common....player wants to play out their senior year, feels like they should just notify scouts about injury and wait for combine/team physicians to advise on surgery. I knew about the injury (it happened in the UNC game), but had no idea it had lingered. ADG will be fine, his skillset works will for today’s NFL. Could he drop? Maybe, but he will have his moment and I have no doubt he will make the most of it.
If this is true, then my question is why not have surgery right after the SBC title game so you could at least be healthy for the combine and possibly the Senior Bowl? Would be curious to hear why he waited.

I don't blame ADG for playing the entire season but I think if you know about the injury, and he had to know, then you go ahead and clean it up immediately after the SBC title game. He could have just skipped the bowl game, and I would not have blamed him for putting the NFL ahead of that bowl game, and then been ready for the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine.

A player does not have to wait for the combine to see what doctors say. Dr James Andrews, the most respected doctor by the NFL, and others who the NFL uses could have been consulted right after the season. I am curious why he did not go that route if he knew about the surgery prior to the combine.

I'll have to see what the combine reports as the details and make sure it matches what is publicly known. There are some players who did not workout at the combine who have some serious issues going on that the media has not reported. Happens every year.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm
I’d hazard a guess that his decision to play sends the message that he played at a high level hurt and the extra months of play added significantly to his body of work. AND a decision to have surgery before the combine would have had him withdraw without that exposure. I’d say well played.
From what I am gathering, this is closer to the truth.

Reality is, you can go through a lifetime with a stress fracture and never do anything about it. Typically, they will not heal on their own, but depending on location, you can function (even at a high level) for a long time before addressing. I don’t have details about the severity of his, but everyone I have spoken to that is close to him downplayed my reaction to him shutting it down at the combine. Considering the credentials of these folks, I’ll trust that all will be fine. The truth seems to be somewhere between what everyone is discussing, so no need to attack each other.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:05 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 pm
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... ral#slide0

Gotta love the Cinderellas. Hope this pans out for Dugger. North Dakota State guy out there as well.
Dugger is the one from L-R I was talking about a few months ago. I saw them play once and he is fun to watch. Daniel Jeremiah expected 4.3s after his jumps and to be honest I was amazed he jumped like he did and only ran 4.50 range. Jumps are a sign of explosion, which is a sign of a great 10-yard and usually a very good 40. 4.50 for his size is good but he ran 4.4s last spring at their junior pro day. You would think after training he would have clocked 4.3s. I hope he runs at the pro day this month and improves on that time. I feel like based on the little I saw of him in college that he could run at least 4.43 or 4.42.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
If this is true, then my question is why not have surgery right after the SBC title game so you could at least be healthy for the combine and possibly the Senior Bowl? Would be curious to hear why he waited.

I don't blame ADG for playing the entire season but I think if you know about the injury, and he had to know, then you go ahead and clean it up immediately after the SBC title game. He could have just skipped the bowl game, and I would not have blamed him for putting the NFL ahead of that bowl game, and then been ready for the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine.

A player does not have to wait for the combine to see what doctors say. Dr James Andrews, the most respected doctor by the NFL, and others who the NFL uses could have been consulted right after the season. I am curious why he did not go that route if he knew about the surgery prior to the combine.

I'll have to see what the combine reports as the details and make sure it matches what is publicly known. There are some players who did not workout at the combine who have some serious issues going on that the media has not reported. Happens every year.
I am working to get an answer on that. For now, I am assuming it was a calculated risk on ADGs part. He is a passionate kid and really went out of his way to put the team first this year. Consider this, Drink didn’t even consider him a Captain when the season started, this guy never backed down from being a vocal leader and the rest is history. First class kid.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:13 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm
I’d hazard a guess that his decision to play sends the message that he played at a high level hurt and the extra months of play added significantly to his body of work. AND a decision to have surgery before the combine would have had him withdraw without that exposure. I’d say well played.
From what I am gathering, this is closer to the truth.

Reality is, you can go through a lifetime with a stress fracture and never do anything about it. Typically, they will not heal on their own, but depending on location, you can function (even at a high level) for a long time before addressing. I don’t have details about the severity of his, but everyone I have spoken to that is close to him downplayed my reaction to him shutting it down at the combine. Considering the credentials of these folks, I’ll trust that all will be fine. The truth seems to be somewhere between what everyone is discussing, so no need to attack each other.
Shutting it down is not a big deal if you need to. My ONLY question here is when did he know and if he knew long ago why wait instead of doing it right when the season is over? If he knew and took a calculated risk then I hope it works out for him.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:14 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 pm
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I am working to get an answer on that. For now, I am assuming it was a calculated risk on ADGs part. He is a passionate kid and really went out of his way to put the team first this year. Consider this, Drink didn’t even consider him a Captain when the season started, this guy never backed down from being a vocal leader and the rest is history. First class kid.
It is truly a shame because he should have been a captain. Makes you wonder what he does had he been healthy all year.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Just doing some looking around and found a stock up or stock down by Bucky Brooks and Lance Zierlein.... and in Lance’s , Darrynton got the stock up, tested well, was smooth catching the ball, has some wiggle.... will definitely play in the NFL.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:30 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:03 pm
Just doing some looking around and found a stock up or stock down by Bucky Brooks and Lance Zierlein.... and in Lance’s , Darrynton got the stock up, tested well, was smooth catching the ball, has some wiggle.... will definitely play in the NFL.
He had a good workout for sure. That wiggle and smoothness matched how his film looked at App.

As for stock rising, scouts tell me that the media makes it seem like player stock rises and falls almost weekly and it does not. He was a late 3rd or 4th round possibility coming in to the combine and likely still that. I still think he lands in the early to mid 4th round as of now. I'm going to ask around after pro day because that is really when player grades start becoming finalized.

The pro day will be big for him because those teams who are highest on him should send their RB coach or someone high up and work him out individually.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 pm

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:47 pm

firemoose wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 pm
I wonder if he had done the surgery as soon as the SBC title game was over if he would have healed in time to do both Senior Bowl and NFL Combine? Sounds like he realized it would prevent him from doing his best too late?

I love the selfless attitude. I also understand why guys skip bowl games but I’m glad for us he didn’t. While I don’t like skipping them I can understand the business decision when the bowl doesn’t have title ramifications.
Is he going to test fully at the pro day?
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:12 am

Classy post by ADG. I'm very proud that he has been a Mountaineer and continues to represent. I read that post as him saying that winning with his teammates was his priority and that's what he did. That is the type of selfless attitude that is lacking in far too many of today's "star" athletes who choose to skip their team's bowl game because of the personal risk.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Here are official combine results sent to the NFL teams for Evans and Gaither.

Gaither- Measured 6'1 1/2, 224 pounds with a 9 1/2 hand, 31 1/8 arm, and 75 1/8 wing. He did 21 bench reps and they did not give any details on the injury other than to say he was a medical exclusion.

Evans did almost everything. Measured 5101, 203 pounds. 9 1/4 hand, 31 5/8 arm, 76 5/8 wing. He did 20 reps with a 37 inch vertical and 10'2 and 10'5 broad jump. Did not do shuttles or 3-cone by choice.

Electronic times
1.58 and 1.61 10-yard, 2.60-2.66 20-yard, 4.41-4.51 40

Hand times
1.58/1.60 and 1.53/1.58 10-yard, 2.50/2.50 and 2.53/2.56 20-yard, and 4.47/4.42 and 4.45/4.51 40-yard.

A couple of interesting notes.

Louisiana Lafayette RB Raymond Calais was 5077, 188 pounds with 20 bench reps. He had a 1.56 10, 2.60 20, and ran 4.42 in the 40. He also had a 37 1/2 VJ and 10'0 broad jump.

Another SBC player Robert Hunt from Louisiana Lafayette was 6051, 323 pounds with no workout because of medical. 10 3/4 hand, 33 1/2 arm, and 82 wingspan.

If anyone wants full results on some of our opponents or someone else just ask.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”