Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2020 NFL combine

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2020 NFL combine

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 pm
He showed out with a fractured foot at the Senior Bowl.....Nuff said
My point is that I think he could have done both if he had the surgery right after the last game, if details on here are indeed true. What he did in Mobile was great and his season was great. The cherry on top that would have put him in the top 50 picks would have been a really good workout at the combine.

Remember last year when I kept saying that I think Jalin Moore is going undrafted because of the injury even though every media outlet thought he would? His injury was worse than App folks said it was so I want to find out what the NFL says on this one before I shrug it off as minor. I'm going to ask about the medical on him just before the draft because his recheck could drop him or keep him where he was.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 pm
Keep in mind that he was the conference DPoY while playing on a fractured foot. That in itself should be enough to tell teams what they are getting.
Does anyone know what play in the South Carolina game he suffered the injury?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Injury happened back at the Carolina game, word is that his camp deciding its best to have the surgery done and be right for the NFL season. His worth has been proven on the field, hopefully that keeps him on the same path.
I wonder why they did not have surgery immediately after the bowl game and plan to be ready for the combine or pro day? Waiting like he did, if they indeed knew this long ago, was not the best move. I agree worth is proven on the field but teams like to see players answer some questions in drills that they maybe did not see answered during the season. For example, if you are in a defense that does not ask you to cover much, if any, teams want to see you drop and cover in the postseason.
Apparently the coaches have been letting scouts know for some time, so this isn't anything new to analysts and scouts. Seems like odd timing to me as well, but it's not an injury that should be expected to linger long term.
Everyone knew about the injury but they all did not know he was shutting it down completely. I just texted with two people who said they found that out today.

The best move is have any surgery as soon as the last game is done and just miss all-star games. Combine is more important than all-star games and if you can't work out at combine then do so at the pro day. Every chance to test for teams is a chance to improve your stock.
It’s also completely possible that it was the right move. That Davis-Gaither, his family, advisors and agent weighed all their options based on a ton of information only they are privy to, and made this choice.

It’s very arrogant of you to sit here and claim what the best move is given you weren’t even aware of the surgery until 3 hours ago.
YNWA

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 pm

I don’t see how the combine is much more important than an all star game. One shows how well a player does in practice and game-like conditions. The other is a modified indoor track meet.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:51 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:58 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Injury happened back at the Carolina game, word is that his camp deciding its best to have the surgery done and be right for the NFL season. His worth has been proven on the field, hopefully that keeps him on the same path.
I wonder why they did not have surgery immediately after the bowl game and plan to be ready for the combine or pro day? Waiting like he did, if they indeed knew this long ago, was not the best move. I agree worth is proven on the field but teams like to see players answer some questions in drills that they maybe did not see answered during the season. For example, if you are in a defense that does not ask you to cover much, if any, teams want to see you drop and cover in the postseason.
Apparently the coaches have been letting scouts know for some time, so this isn't anything new to analysts and scouts. Seems like odd timing to me as well, but it's not an injury that should be expected to linger long term.
Everyone knew about the injury but they all did not know he was shutting it down completely. I just texted with two people who said they found that out today.

The best move is have any surgery as soon as the last game is done and just miss all-star games. Combine is more important than all-star games and if you can't work out at combine then do so at the pro day. Every chance to test for teams is a chance to improve your stock.
It’s also completely possible that it was the right move. That Davis-Gaither, his family, advisors and agent weighed all their options based on a ton of information only they are privy to, and made this choice.

It’s very arrogant of you to sit here and claim what the best move is given you weren’t even aware of the surgery until 3 hours ago.
That is coming from what scouts have told me. That was not my opinion. Obviously, they want to see as much as they can and have as much verifiable info as possible to make decisions.

My point is that if the injury details that scouts currently have, and what media reports have said are true, then it sounds like he could have done both. It appears the strategy here was to show out in Mobile and then shut it down because the agent thinks he has done enough.

I look at it this way. Look how good he was late in the year and at the Senior Bowl with this apparent injury. Can you imagine how good he would have looked and fast he would have ran had he fixed this in early December and been 100% for the Senior Bowl and combine? I'm assuming he would be 100% because the injury is being described as 8 weeks, worst case.

I don't mean to come off as arrogant but I'm talking as someone who has asked these questions to scouts and have heard exactly what they are looking for. I don't mean to kill Gaither or anyone else but I'm simply saying what is most ideal for scouts to make the best possible decision on these players as they can.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 pm
I don’t see how the combine is much more important than an all star game. One shows how well a player does in practice and game-like conditions. The other is a modified indoor track meet.
In general you are right about the all-star game but you are comparing it to what you see on TV. The most important part is the medical tests and interviews, which we don't see.

Look at it this way. If Gaither could have had this done a long time ago and been 100% maybe he clears the tests this week and does not have to return for a recheck in April just before the draft. That is the biggest reason for why I said what I did. Moore's injury was worse and when he went back for a recheck his progress was not as good as they hoped for.

Say Gaither goes this week after 2 months of rehab and is still not 100% it would have been good to know the injury is worse than it is. Because he waited he will have this cloud over his head with having to go back and get checked out again just before the draft. Like I said, he will still get drafted but when teams are spending millions on these guys I understand it is important for them to get as much verifiable data and to see as much of the rehab done as possible.

Tua went ahead and had his surgery to get it done as early as possible. Most scouts say if a player has an injury it is best to get it fixed as early as possible instead of waiting and playing on it. You increase the likelihood of re-aggravating it and extending the rehab time when you play on it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:38 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 am
AppinVA wrote:
In general you are right about the all-star game but you are comparing it to what you see on TV. The most important part is the medical tests and interviews, which we don't see.

Look at it this way. If Gaither could have had this done a long time ago and been 100% maybe he clears the tests this week and does not have to return for a recheck in April just before the draft. That is the biggest reason for why I said what I did. Moore's injury was worse and when he went back for a recheck his progress was not as good as they hoped for.

Say Gaither goes this week after 2 months of rehab and is still not 100% it would have been good to know the injury is worse than it is. Because he waited he will have this cloud over his head with having to go back and get checked out again just before the draft. Like I said, he will still get drafted but when teams are spending millions on these guys I understand it is important for them to get as much verifiable data and to see as much of the rehab done as possible.

Tua went ahead and had his surgery to get it done as early as possible. Most scouts say if a player has an injury it is best to get it fixed as early as possible instead of waiting and playing on it. You increase the likelihood of re-aggravating it and extending the rehab time when you play on it.
So, ADG aside, if the interviews and physicals were done in conjunction with the all-star games, the track meet would seemingly be useless.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 am

ADG is a 3rd-4th rounder. If he slips to the 4th I hope the Panthers trade up!

Evans has more variability on draft position. He’ll be fine, just too many skill sets not to make it somewhere.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:54 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:38 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 am
AppinVA wrote:

So, ADG aside, if the interviews and physicals were done in conjunction with the all-star games, the track meet would seemingly be useless.
Still though, if you have an injury like that every trainer will tell you it is best to have surgery as soon as you can. He could have injured it worse at the Senior Bowl on day one and not helped himself. He took a gamble. So far it has not hurt him but he needs to be 100% before the draft.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 pm

I have to agree with the poster that spoke of your arrogance. Are you so blinded by your obsession to be heard that you fail to acknowledge that you don’t know everything? I would venture to say that the decision to keep playing on the stress fracture was made based on advice and feedback from doctors, trainer, and coaches. Being that this was a stress fracture, it is likely that the foot was tested and evaluated with the conclusion that playing with the injury would not result in further damage. That would be the reasonable conclusion to draw. ADG’s Dad is a college coach and I am sure that he has professional experience in dealing with kids that want to play despite it being in their best interest. You don’t have all of the facts nor the insights as to why the decisions and their timing but, you know better.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 pm
I have to agree with the poster that spoke of your arrogance. Are you so blinded by your obsession to be heard that you fail to acknowledge that you don’t know everything? I would venture to say that the decision to keep playing on the stress fracture was made based on advice and feedback from doctors, trainer, and coaches. Being that this was a stress fracture, it is likely that the foot was tested and evaluated with the conclusion that playing with the injury would not result in further damage. That would be the reasonable conclusion to draw. ADG’s Dad is a college coach and I am sure that he has professional experience in dealing with kids that want to play despite it being in their best interest. You don’t have all of the facts nor the insights as to why the decisions and their timing but, you know better.
That very well could be it. I just know the initial reaction from scouts was "wonder why he waited then". That was my first reaction as well. I have seen coaches push players to workout or play through an injury and it was not good advice. None of us truly know here.

You sometimes come off as arrogant about the HS recruiting but it is fair because you are involved and have access to information the rest of us don't in that regard. I trust what you guys get on recruiting. You guys are the best HS website and I truly mean that 100%. You and Moose do a fantastic job so you can be a smartass at times and I don't think a thing about it.

Most of what I'm posting is coming directly from scout reactions and tidbits I'm getting from people who make draft picks, oversee workouts, represent players, and even train them sometimes. I'm not some blowhard who thinks he knows it all and just posts. I'm posting info I'm getting from people I know in the business. The general reaction for ADG and anyone who waits is "wonder why".

I'll have some more info on high and low times on Evans later this week and possible new injury details on Gaither once the combine sends their report to the clubs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
That very well could be it. I just know the initial reaction from scouts was "wonder why he waited then". That was my first reaction as well. I have seen coaches push players to workout or play through an injury and it was not good advice. None of us truly know here.

You sometimes come off as arrogant about the HS recruiting but it is fair because you are involved and have access to information the rest of us don't in that regard. I trust what you guys get on recruiting. You guys are the best HS website and I truly mean that 100%. You and Moose do a fantastic job so you can be a smartass at times and I don't think a thing about it.

Most of what I'm posting is coming directly from scout reactions and tidbits I'm getting from people who make draft picks, oversee workouts, represent players, and even train them sometimes. I'm not some blowhard who thinks he knows it all and just posts. I'm posting info I'm getting from people I know in the business. The general reaction for ADG and anyone who waits is "wonder why".

I'll have some more info on high and low times on Evans later this week and possible new injury details on Gaither once the combine sends their report to the clubs.
Maybe I do rub some people the wrong way sometimes. You can't be the same person to all. Cool you are getting info from guys in the scouting business. But for them to ask why tells me that either they don't know the whole situation either or they aren't telling you. Either way, it's not cool for you to question the decisions of ADG and his advisors without knowing the whole story.

On a side note. Your constant name dropping of your sources in the scouting world only solidifies my opinion of you.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm

I’d hazard a guess that his decision to play sends the message that he played at a high level hurt and the extra months of play added significantly to his body of work. AND a decision to have surgery before the combine would have had him withdraw without that exposure. I’d say well played.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

Maybe I do rub some people the wrong way sometimes. You can't be the same person to all. Cool you are getting info from guys in the scouting business. But for them to ask why tells me that either they don't know the whole situation either or they aren't telling you. Either way, it's not cool for you to question the decisions of ADG and his advisors without knowing the whole story.

On a side note. Your constant name dropping of your sources in the scouting world only solidifies my opinion of you.
If I don't tell where info came from people accuse me of being a know it all who made it up. LOL. I will refrain from it from now on because I understand what you mean.

As for where I was coming from before I was basing off what AppStateAlum said. I have asked around a little more and teams had no clue about it. They did not know if ADG knew about needing surgery or not. I'm just glad for him that he should be ready to go by mini-camps.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm
I’d hazard a guess that his decision to play sends the message that he played at a high level hurt and the extra months of play added significantly to his body of work. AND a decision to have surgery before the combine would have had him withdraw without that exposure. I’d say well played.
I believe the injury occurred in UNC game. Have to agree, if he didn’t play the rest of the season all the talk about getting drafted is probably a mute point.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Ok on to Darrynton, there are several RB’s who have not run or hasn’t been posted yet for the 20 yd cone, 60 yd cones...... did they choose to not run them????

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:45 pm

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/1/2 ... he-combine

Doesn't look like Evans participated in shuttle drills per this article. Everything I am reading on Evans reminds me of a lot of the things that were being said about Travaris Cadet when he was looking to break into the league.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Hey Strong, thanks for the article. I did some quick research and of the 32 backs: 19 did not race in the 3-cone, 14 did not in 20 yd shuttle..... so he wasn’t alone. Hopefully Evans will have a good pro day and solidify his draft status to 3-4th round.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 pm

I may be oblivious but I don’t have a problem with people who have some kind of access.....

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:42 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:19 pm
Ok on to Darrynton, there are several RB’s who have not run or hasn’t been posted yet for the 20 yd cone, 60 yd cones...... did they choose to not run them????
NFL.com does not post every time from every drill that players run for some reason. Give me a couple days for people to get back from the combine and get the official results they send to the teams. If there are drills he did that don't have results posted on NFL.com I will make sure to put them in this thread.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”