Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Draft money

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Draft money

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:33 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:58 pm
Very nice! So, this appears to be a "projected contract." Any chance it will go up? Also, anybody know the number of years they base these on?
Rookie contracts are for 4 years. Based on the Cap hit, they both should make a base of $610k in year one.
Not all rookie deals are 4 years. If undrafted I believe they are for 3 years and if you are a first round pick teams have a 5th year option but yes rounds 2-7 are 4-year deals.

I believe someone with NFLPA told me before the CBA was agreed to that rookies would be making 610k a year at minimum. Would that not mean both of these guys make more since they were not late round picks? I need to reach out and confirm that but I would think both make a little more.

Happy for them and happy for Yosef Club. Yosef Club should be getting two good donations from those guys!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:43 am

appfanjj wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 pm
Happy for these guys. They deserve it. A lot of people thought Evans was making a big mistake by going early. Calculated move that paid off.
Nobody thought it was a big mistake but more of a risk he was taking because he made the decision so early without knowing what the other backs were doing. Nobody said he would not make it in the NFL like some of us said about Duck last year. There was no doubt he was good enough to make it. ADG could have gone early and been a day 3 pick who made it in the NFL. You hate to see a guy go early and fall to day 3 when they could return and improve stock and play on a ranked team is all.

A couple things to keep in mind. He almost fell to day 3 and that was with so many players staying in school that scouts and media believed might come out early. Etienne, Najee Harris, Kylin Hill, Elijah Mitchell, Trey Ragas, Chuba Hubbard, Rakeem Boyd, and CJ Verdell all stayin gave Evans and Vaughn from Vandy a boost. There were only 2 or 3 teams who have him in the 4th round or above so if those guys had come out he likely goes in round 5.

I'm glad it worked out but any junior leaving who did not get a round 2 or 1 grade and was told to stay in school is taking a risk. You never really know with the draft.

Some early entry stats from this draft class. 123 players declared early for the NFL Draft. 84 of them got drafted. 54 of the 123 went in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round. 39 underclassmen did not get drafted and 17 of the 84 who got picked did not go until round 5, 6, or 7. So yes, any player who declares that is told they would not go in round 1 or 2 is taking a chance. A lot depends on how many at your position go, how you test, etc.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:33 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Very nice! So, this appears to be a "projected contract." Any chance it will go up? Also, anybody know the number of years they base these on?
Rookie contracts are for 4 years. Based on the Cap hit, they both should make a base of $610k in year one.
Not all rookie deals are 4 years. If undrafted I believe they are for 3 years and if you are a first round pick teams have a 5th year option but yes rounds 2-7 are 4-year deals.

I believe someone with NFLPA told me before the CBA was agreed to that rookies would be making 610k a year at minimum. Would that not mean both of these guys make more since they were not late round picks? I need to reach out and confirm that but I would think both make a little more.

Happy for them and happy for Yosef Club. Yosef Club should be getting two good donations from those guys!
I got the 610k figure from the data you provided. Divide the bonus by four and subtract it from the cap hit to get 610k. Yes you are correct that first rounder get a fifth year option.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:14 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:33 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I got the 610k figure from the data you provided. Divide the bonus by four and subtract it from the cap hit to get 610k. Yes you are correct that first rounder get a fifth year option.
I need to read the CBA info closer but I was thinking that players taken in higher rounds would get more bonus money and thus make more than 610k total as opposed to a 6th or 7th round pick.

Some agents will tell you they hope if a player falls past round 4 or 5 that they go undrafted. If you go in round 7 compared to being a free agent you have a 3-year deal so you hit free agency a year earlier and you can often get a higher signing bonus because a team has to do so in order to get a free agent they want badly. When you are drafted things are slotted so you can only get so much at pick 225. There are undrafted players who get a bigger signing bonus than 7th round picks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”