Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marcus Cox signs with Marburg Mercenaries

Capt. Ed
School: Appalachian State

Marcus Cox signs with Marburg Mercenaries

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:13 am

One of my favorite former App State players is Marcus Cox. I was thinking about him this morning, wondering what he's doing now. I googled him and found he'd signed this year with the Marburg Mercenaries, a team in German Football League's top tier. I couldn't find much info on player salaries but probably a lot less than the CFL. Players also get housing, a car to use, and health insurance. The Mercenaries play in a 12,000 capacity stadium.

As far as I know this is the first football Marcus has played since his last year at App. I wish him well.

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sport ... iew%20grad.
Last edited by Capt. Ed on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike87

Re: Marcus Cox signs with Marburg Mercenaries

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am

Great news for Marcus. He deserves the opportunity. His Dad can teach the Germans a thing about tailgating. Best Ribs in Stadium lot.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 am

Great ! Love the guy , and his family.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:16 am

Capt. Ed wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:13 am
One of my favorite former App State players is Marcus Cox. I was thinking about him this morning, wondering what he's doing now. I googled him and found he'd signed this year with the Marburg Mercenaries, a team in German Football League's top tier. I couldn't find much info on player salaries but probably a lot less than the CFL. Players also get housing, a car to use, and health insurance. The Mercenaries play in a 12,000 capacity stadium.

As far as I know this is the first football Marcus has played since his injury with App. I wish him well.

Are you getting Marcus Cox and Jalin Moore confused? Marcus was never injured that I know of. I do believe this would be his first gig with a professional team though.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:33 am

"Are you getting Marcus Cox and Jalin Moore confused? Marcus was never injured that I know of. I do believe this would be his first gig with a professional team though."

You're right! My bad.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:16 am
Are you getting Marcus Cox and Jalin Moore confused? Marcus was never injured that I know of. I do believe this would be his first gig with a professional team though.
MC14 got hurt playing Miami when he broke the long TD that got called back on a weak holding call against Meadors. Suck the wind right out of our sail as it was a quick answer to their first quick TD by the Hurricane RB who broke Howard's tackle and it took it the house. IIRC, MC missed a few games that season and JM stepped in.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:34 am

moonshine wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 am
The Rock wrote:
MC14 got hurt playing Miami when he broke the long TD that got called back on a weak holding call against Meadors. Suck the wind right out of our sail as it was a quick answer to their first quick TD by the Hurricane RB who broke Howard's tackle and it took it the house. IIRC, MC missed a few games that season and JM stepped in.
True, he was dinged up here and there as most running backs are throughout their career, but he came back and finished that season. I meant he had no major injuries that would hamper a professional career.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:34 am
moonshine wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 am
The Rock wrote:
True, he was dinged up here and there as most running backs are throughout their career, but he came back and finished that season. I meant he had no major injuries that would hamper a professional career.
I was about to say the same thing. He did not have an injury that prevented it. I remember thinking he did not have the juice or movement skills to play in the NFL. Really good college back but not fast enough or explosive or twitchy enough to make the NFL. I had thought he perhaps gave up football but glad to see he is still playing!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Capt. Ed wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:13 am

As far as I know this is the first football Marcus has played since his last year at App. I wish him well.

Marcus, with housing, a car and a subsistence salary now has an unbelievable opportunity to see the sights of Europe and play some football while living in a beautiful,12th century, medieval university and mountain town. Marburg is no more than a day trip by train away from any of the *can't miss* historic and cultural sites from the Bavarian Alps to the North Sea. What a dream gig! Dies ist perfekt!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:28 pm

Congrats Marcus, as one said, great gig to make some money and see the world. Take the App brand to Europe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”