Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Peacock

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Peacock

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:01 pm

*** A guy who has practiced well and deserves consideration for a practice squad spot is undrafted rookie Andrew Peacock. He runs good routes, he's quick and hasn't put many balls on the ground this offseason.

mtnjax

Re: Peacock

Unread post by mtnjax » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:06 am

Practice squad would be a good scenario for Peacock. Detroit is loaded with receivers, so its an uphill battle for him to start with. same Steven Miller

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:37 pm

More from mlive.com:

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate. They have a former second-round pick (Ryan Broyles) and last year's No. 2 receiver (Kris Durham). They have the NFL's best punt returner from the second half of last season (Jeremy Ross).

They have, in other words, a ton of options at wideout.

But Andrew Peacock?

Listen: This kid's a 5-foot-10 undrafted free agent from Appalachian State. He plays a position at which only one spot -- maybe two -- is truly open.

That makes him a supreme long shot to stick on the 53-man roster.

But with that out of that way, there's this: He's looked good. Maybe the best of all the undrafted rookie free agents. And his role is growing.

Peacock got a ton of second-team reps at Friday's practice and caught at least two more balls during team drills. At 5-foot-10, he runs sharp routes and explodes quickly out of his breaks. And he doesn't struggle with drops like some others.

If it seems like this whole training camp thing has come easily to him ... well, that's because it has.

"It's not as tough as I thought it would be," Peacock said. "College, you got two-a-days every day, and you're going hard for those two-a-days. In the NFL, you can only have one real practice and the other is a walk-through. Legs aren't as bad.

"But it is more mentally exhausting. So you got to make sure you're in the books every day, you got to make sure you know what you're doing."

Peacock has a small advantage there over some of the other young receivers fighting for a spot on the roster or practice squad: He's rooming with quarterback James Franklin at the team hotel.

The rookies spend hours studying their playbooks and bouncing thoughts of each other. Getting that kind of perspective, from a quarterback, helps Peacock pick up the offense more quickly.

"We get to go over plays every night," Peacock said. "It's a really, really good thing for me to have a quarterback as a roommate, just because you get that side of him.

"There's so many ins and outs to that playbook. Just learning all the audibles, all the double-calls, it's definitely a different transition than going to college. But it's starting to come to me."

Peacock also has surrounded himself with some familiar faces. He played college ball with Lions punter Sam Martin and tailback Steven Miller.

"I didn't watch the receivers much in college, but it seemed like every time you looked up, Andrew was making a play," Martin said. "He could burn you deep, but where he really hurt you was underneath. He just always has a way of getting open. The kid knows how to play."

Peacock faces a long road to securing a role with the Lions. Johnson, Tate and Ross are locks to make the team. Broyles and Kevin Ogletree are good bets too.

That leaves one roster spot -- maybe -- at the position, with players like Durham and former sixth-round draft pick Corey Fuller still unaccounted for. TJ Jones, Patrick Edwards, Quintin Payton and Reese Wiggins also are in camp.

Tough odds.

If Peacock doesn't stick -- again, likely -- he's shown enough during the first week of camp to warrant a long look for the practice squad.

"Whatever they tell me to do, I do it," Peacock said. "Be coachable. Minimize mistakes. I found out real quick the more mistakes you make in this league, the less time you'll be here.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Proud to have a mountaineer speak so well !

MJ1988

Unread post by MJ1988 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Still a class act

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am

Agreed.

And, they didn't mention his connection to TJ Jones, Malachi Jones' brother.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”