Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why I can't Help but be Jealous of EZU

huskie3
School: Appalachian State

Re: Why I can't Help but be Jealous of EZU

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:33 am

ECU is having athletic money issues now (3+ million deficit) - mostly because of their ego moving from conference to conference) - and some from non-attention to upkeep issues. They are also losing revenue/fund raising from poor football record and firing popular FB coach McNeil. I am not jealous of anything ecu related.
Bring Your A Game!

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 am

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:33 am
ECU is having athletic money issues now (3+ million deficit) - mostly because of their ego moving from conference to conference) - and some from non-attention to upkeep issues. They are also losing revenue/fund raising from poor football record and firing popular FB coach McNeil. I am not jealous of anything ecu related.
And App is about to build a club seat and locker room expansion with revenue bonds(debt) that I guarantee will exceed $3 million and is currently $7 million+ in the hole still from the last expansion. Im no ECU fan, but I feel thats a "pot meet kettle" comparison because most of us had a dream that the American would call us up with ECU in 2013 and that without looking at ECUs financials I know for a fact App (just the athletics side) is in more debt than you criticized ECU for. The debt thing drives me up a wall but such is life
Attachments
Revenue Bond Liabilities (dragged).jpg

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 am

To BTK200
I did not mention ecu's 60 million stadium expansion (your comparison point of our north Endzone). My point was ecu's ego of them belonging with the upper crust and then not performing.
Bring Your A Game!

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 am

They got lucky.
Travaris Cadet - September 5th, 2009

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 am

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 am
To BTK200
I did not mention ecu's 60 million stadium expansion (your comparison point of our north Endzone). My point was ecu's ego of them belonging with the upper crust and then not performing.
My friend I were just comparing stadium costs over a FB convo. He is an App alum and doing his MBA at ECU and said the same thing you just did about the $60m. They are still paying for the McNeil thing and lost a pretty much all their goodwill with their boosters. IDK if its their attitude but I will say their erector set of a stadium is in bad shape from what I saw there last time we played but. I don't like seeing anything when there 10s of millions in debt and you know that its not going to make the money on its own.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am
NewApp wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 am
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am

Fifty-five years is a long time to be jealous/envious.
Actually resentful might be a better word, I don’t know. It’s because they keep getting by with the same crap, most recently getting a new dental school while we can’t even get a measley little PhD in Psychology program. Doesn’t that bother you at all? If not you must be a closet Pirate fan. Have you ever noticed we don’t have even one professional degree program? They generate high income jobs which in turn lead to prestige and generous donations.
I’m on record wanting more professional programs. Even somewhere above in this thread. I’m just not aware of where they screwed us over to get to where they are today. If you can show me that, I will share your resentment.
Just by the fact we haven't gotten our fair share and instead funds being diverted elsewhere disproportionately and the fact we don't have even one professional degree and we are as much of a lone force in our region just as much as EZU is in the east. I don't expect NC to have another full medical school, but at least one measly professional degree. It would certainly be well utilized in NW NC. Chancellor Everts wants to expand our graduate programs but we don't have anything to offer that can't be found more conveniently elsewhere. UNC-C even is surpassing us in teacher and administrator education. Which was at one time our premier concentration. NW NC needs something to keep graduates home and build the economy of our region.
I’ve always heard one of the things that hurt our grad ed degrees was NC dropping the pay raise for teachers with masters degrees. Out of curiosity what professional degrees would you want to see added? Because it seems people on the board don’t specifically want PhDs. But things like PT or Architecture.

At this point almost anything. I think we should have gotten the PhD in Psychology program and would like to see the school of nursing bank rolled and pushed to be in the running for a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant program. Pfeiffer, even, is getting a PA program soon. Little Wingate has a pharmacy program and we are years behind in developing a nursing program.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 am
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:28 am

The difference in you and I is that I want ASU to get what it deserves by doing things the right way, not like ECU has done. I don't have to drag them down, they are already down by their nefarious ways. I have been following them since the early to mid 1960's when they hoodwinked the legislature and the taxpayers into letting them have a medical school in spite of having one of the lowest academic standards in the state.
Fifty-five years is a long time to be jealous/envious.
Actually resentful might be a better word, I don’t know. It’s because they keep getting by with the same crap, most recently getting a new dental school while we can’t even get a measley little PhD in Psychology program. Doesn’t that bother you at all? If not you must be a closet Pirate fan. Have you ever noticed we don’t have even one professional degree program? They generate high income jobs which in turn lead to prestige and generous donations.
I’m on record wanting more professional programs. Even somewhere above in this thread. I’m just not aware of where they screwed us over to get to where they are today. If you can show me that, I will share your resentment.
Just by the fact we haven't gotten our fair share and instead funds being diverted elsewhere disproportionately and the fact we don't have even one professional degree and we are as much of a lone force in our region just as much as EZU is in the east. I don't expect NC to have another full medical school, but at least one measly professional degree. It would certainly be well utilized in NW NC. Chancellor Everts wants to expand our graduate programs but we don't have anything to offer that can't be found more conveniently elsewhere. UNC-C even is surpassing us in teacher and administrator education. Which was at one time our premier concentration. NW NC needs something to keep graduates home and build the economy of our region.
I don’t disagree with much of this, but for the most part, we can only blame ourselves. We voluntarily put our fate in the hands of others back before my parents met at Lee’s-McRae in the mid-60s, and we will be paying for it long after at least one of my children graduate from App, hopefully. I don’t see it as the fault of ECU, but our own.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:47 pm

AppinVA, do you currently have a child at App, or just hoping one goes to App when they hit that age?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:47 pm
AppinVA, do you currently have a child at App, or just hoping one goes to App when they hit that age?
My oldest is a junior in high school. App is not at the top of her list, but we will make a drive up sometime this summer. I have two more chances, though.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ECU
School: East Carolina

Unread post by ECU » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 pm

For context you have to consider the time the med school was established. This was the late 60's, 20+ years before the interstate or modern infrastructure. While rural,there are a lot of people per square mile and without researching I think I have read before it's one of the more densely populated of "rural" places. I would assume it was far more populated than western NC, especially at the time when places like Kinston and Goldboro were some of the more thriving cities in the State. The point is the Med school and a real hospital were needed for health and frankly life saving treatment. It's pretty myopic not to consider the bigger picture.

If you had terminal illness to get top class treatment even in the late 80's you had to travel to Raleigh or Chapel Hill which wasn't even an 1.5 or 2 drive like today, in those it was 3 or 4 or more on some 2 lane hwys. Having a viable world class hospital was important and I can say having grown up an hour away many family and friends have end up there even died there in emergency, with terminal illness etc I can tell you I'm thankful the place exist. When people are already suffering a 1 hour drive to get treatment matters a lot. If you got an in accident in the area I think you would appreciate being airlifted to a top class hospital capable of saving or prolonging your life or driven past the smaller regional hospitals who couldn't help you to get to it.

Yes, Chancellor Jenkins had a bigger vision and did his job well but it was rooted in need originally with everything build off that foundation. If you want to begrudge people, you have to ask yourself what are you begrudging, sick and dying people that wouldn't have the facility to comfort or even save their life otherwise the last 50 years.

ECU
School: East Carolina

Unread post by ECU » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:27 pm

I'd add a few years ago ECU had the highest patent per research dollar in the nation and has given the world many groundbreaking technology pioneered at ECU like robotic heart surgery, bypass, speach easy etc. I haven't followed it as much in the past few years but it's hard to say any of these programs are a failure. There are people that come from all over the world to get treated here now and people like Dr Chitwood that wouldn't leave his work here even when Harvard called. It's beyond just giving back to the east.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”