Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satt's next conference championship

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satt's next conference championship

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am
A thread such as this one makes us look like a bunch of bitter people. My god let the man go. Big time coaches are a small group. I hope he does well and is successful in life and in his career. This stuff with the recruits is just part of the crappy side of college athletics. Kids change their minds all the time before signing day and it’s only fair that a school can do the same thing. Stinks but until the system changes that’s just the way it is.
Exactly. Satt did nothing wrong here. Satt never offered these guys so why should he have to honor these offers? He probably thinks these guys just aren't good enough and the Louisville AD has no reason to question him. If kids can change their mind just before signing day then so can a coach.

We lost a very good OL commit recently who is going to UNC it looks like. Players need to learn to uphold their commitments and unless there is a rule making both sides uphold it then this is how it is.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Interesting that Lonny Galloway just left Louisville to join Mack Brown as WR coach.....

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
A thread such as this one makes us look like a bunch of bitter people. My god let the man go. Big time coaches are a small group. I hope he does well and is successful in life and in his career. This stuff with the recruits is just part of the crappy side of college athletics. Kids change their minds all the time before signing day and it’s only fair that a school can do the same thing. Stinks but until the system changes that’s just the way it is.
Exactly. Satt did nothing wrong here. Satt never offered these guys so why should he have to honor these offers? He probably thinks these guys just aren't good enough and the Louisville AD has no reason to question him. If kids can change their mind just before signing day then so can a coach.

We lost a very good OL commit recently who is going to UNC it looks like. Players need to learn to uphold their commitments and unless there is a rule making both sides uphold it then this is how it is.
while I agree with you, the last sentence is somewhat contradicting to what you said in the rest of the post.
I agree that if they do not fit in his new direction, it is best for both parties to move on. It happens all the time. These guys are P5 recruits, and while it is bad timing especially for those planning on enrolling in the spring, they will find a new home, and get more playing time than if they went to UL in a system they do not fit into.
However, if we are going to say players should honor their commitments, which i completely agree with, we should expect schools to do the same. Satterfield may not have offered these guys, but Louisville did, and he is a representative of Louisville now.
This is a very cut throat process for both schools and players. Just as often as players crawfish on their commitments, schools pull scholarships at the last minute to get a better player. Too bad it cant be required that both parties honor their commitments and make the best of that decision regardless of the fact someone better may have come along.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:30 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Maybe its just my contrarian nature, but I don't agree with this. I think we should hold the adults to a higher standard.

There is a big difference between an 18 year old kid waffling in their decision making, or taking a perceived better offer to a bigger school, and an adult coach pulling a scholarship offer this late in the game, especially after the AD went around and begged people to stay on board.

Not to mention the fact that the kids only have 4 or 5 years max in which to perform, and aren't even compensated for all their time and efforts (unless you go to UNC, SEC school etc).

I won't blame the kids for trying to maximize their potential, but I do hold the coaches to a higher standard.

And if our new coach tries the same, I will write a letter expressing my displeasure.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:33 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

while I agree with you, the last sentence is somewhat contradicting to what you said in the rest of the post.
I agree that if they do not fit in his new direction, it is best for both parties to move on. It happens all the time. These guys are P5 recruits, and while it is bad timing especially for those planning on enrolling in the spring, they will find a new home, and get more playing time than if they went to UL in a system they do not fit into.
However, if we are going to say players should honor their commitments, which i completely agree with, we should expect schools to do the same. Satterfield may not have offered these guys, but Louisville did, and he is a representative of Louisville now.
This is a very cut throat process for both schools and players. Just as often as players crawfish on their commitments, schools pull scholarships at the last minute to get a better player. Too bad it cant be required that both parties honor their commitments and make the best of that decision regardless of the fact someone better may have come along.
Ideally I think they should require both parties to honor their commitments and remove buyouts completely. Guaranteed contracts for coaches that they can't get out of without say a year of suspension for coaching for leaving early and perhaps remove a year of eligibility (just 3 years left) for players who commit and then back out. I rather only have 5 commits right now and know they are coming rather than 20 and fear they are all leaving.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:15 pm

https://gocards.com/news/2018/12/13/foo ... staff.aspx
Josh Thompson will join the Cardinals as the director of football operations, while Mike Sirignano will take over as the strength and conditioning coach. Both from us.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”