Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Arkansas fires HC

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by biggie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:34 am

The turnover would catch up based on recruiting issues. Would rather have some stability.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Yosef77 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 am
Perhaps we are looking at this somewhat wrong. If Drink leaves for Arkansas that would look great for us being the place to go for many upcoming coaches and will make our search for another much better. I would think we would have many coaches wanting this job. I would think Drink leaving for the "big time" would make us much more attractive for many, just like Sat did. Next man up (better then the last)
That is true. In due time, Drink will get his opportunities. I'm sure Will Healy would rather be here, with our fan base, our football culture, and the recruiting clout that we currently have vs. Charlotte. If our success and support continue, we'll always be an attractive program for young coaches like Drink and veterans like Ted Roof. Then you have the Shawn Elliott's of the world, the coaches who went with Satt who may be looking to become a head coach, etc. My opinion is that Drink needs to go through the recruiting process as a HC (and possibly the development process with those recruits) a few times to round out his resume, before making a jump. Tis only my opinion.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:12 pm

When and if Drink goes how about Shawn Clark getting to step up? Or how about I really set some folks on the board on fire, could Roof be the next Jerry Moore? Older guy been a head coach, maybe he’s tired of moving around? You have to ask yourself why he left State.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Ivey , Roof , Clark …..

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Not meant as a slight to Roof, seeing s how this board is now in love with him, but I don’t get the vibe that being the HC meshes with him. He is super easy going and I think the weight of daily responsibilities outside of X’s and O’s aren’t something that he wants. I do like having him on the staff. Great football mind, good educator and mentor to young coaches and a good father figure to the players.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:25 pm
Not meant as a slight to Roof, seeing s how this board is now in love with him, but I don’t get the vibe that being the HC meshes with him. He is super easy going and I think the weight of daily responsibilities outside of X’s and O’s aren’t something that he wants. I do like having him on the staff. Great football mind, good educator and mentor to young coaches and a good father figure to the players.
If he stuck around at defense, should Drink head elsewhere, I wouldn't mind that...

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 pm

VNova wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:01 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
If he stuck around at defense, should Drink head elsewhere, I wouldn't mind that...
His son will have what, 2 years of eligibility starting in 2020? So, I would imagine Roof would want to stick around to coach his son...you don't get second chances at that sort of thing.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 pm
VNova wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
His son will have what, 2 years of eligibility starting in 2020? So, I would imagine Roof would want to stick around to coach his son...you don't get second chances at that sort of thing.
True, but to some on this board, money is the motivating factor.

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:24 pm

This stuff is not necessarily new. I was at App when a young upcoming coach was hired [Mack Brown]. He said he planned to turn ASU into a regional powerhouse which was a tall order after Working. In fact, I can remember him calling out students on campus that were wearing non APP shirts [UNC, etc.] for being "unsupportive". $$$ came his way and he was out of there the next year; it is just life in the fast lane for football coaches.
Sparky stayed and did a decent job...later Jerry Moore stayed a long time but was older and didn't have the desire anymore to "move up".
As Bob Marley would say "Everting will be alright"

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:02 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 pm
VNova wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
True, but to some on this board, money is the motivating factor.
Yep, and that could be true, but I suspect Roof has made good money over his career and his family is older so he may be at a different place than someone Drink's age who has a young and growing family. Ya never know though, if Drink landed a big time contract and wanted Roof with him he might just go and there's also the fact that whoever the new head coach is might not want Roof and bring in his own people which is pretty common.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”