Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FCS National Championship Game

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: FCS National Championship Game

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:52 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 am
Again, my original post was not a comparison of FCS to FBS - I think you have gotten a little off track - My original statement was NDS and JMU were two good teams who could be at least .500 in the SB and at the top of the MAC - that way all I was trying to say -
I totally get you and I agree. I had started a thread asking if we would be happy with 8-4 records if we moved to a tougher conference without the assumption of more money, different athletes, etc. JMU and NDSU appear to be happy as the biggest fish in the FCS pond. The folks at NDSU have gotten accustomed to winning the NC and either scaring or beating a big boy every now and then. If they moved to the Sunbelt or the MAC and added more scholarships they would probably still be pretty good but they probably are not running the table every year. Would that fan base be happy with 7-5 or 8-4 records with trips to average bowls most years? Hard to tell.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 am
Again, my original post was not a comparison of FCS to FBS - I think you have gotten a little off track - My original statement was NDS and JMU were two good teams who could be at least .500 in the SB and at the top of the MAC - that way all I was trying to say -
At present time, I think both ND State and JMU could compete or even win some of the lower tier FBS conferences. I might throw Montana and South Dakota State in the mix as well even though they both underperformed in the playoffs.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am

NDSU or JMU either one would be a dangerous game for anybody in the SunBelt, including App. They are good enough to take advantage of opportunities and execute. That said, I don't think they would have trouble getting through a G5 schedule on a week to week basis. They don't have the depth to rotate and substitute (injuries) that good G5 teams have, so it would wear them down. I think most App fans realized the same thing was true of our championship teams. That's the nature of having 22 fewer scholarships.

I really think that those two schools have separated themselves from the rest of FCS in recent years. They are maintaining a high level of play and should be proud. The problem is that there is a BIG drop from that point and very few schools seem capable of even closing the gap on a consistent basis. A few teams do it for a season but don't maintain the high level. It's hard to compare streaks because I don't think the regular season schedule, or even the playoff games in earlier rounds are comparable to what we played. Any way you look at it though, NDSU is a juggernaut and what they are doing is impressive!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:59 pm
Y’all are crazy calling it JV. That was great football in front of a packed stadium on ABC.

As I’ve said before, I’m glad we moved up but I can still appreciate it.
The pass thrown to end the game was JV level. What an awful decision that was.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am
NDSU or JMU either one would be a dangerous game for anybody in the SunBelt, including App. They are good enough to take advantage of opportunities and execute. That said, I don't think they would have trouble getting through a G5 schedule on a week to week basis. They don't have the depth to rotate and substitute (injuries) that good G5 teams have, so it would wear them down. I think most App fans realized the same thing was true of our championship teams. That's the nature of having 22 fewer scholarships.

I really think that those two schools have separated themselves from the rest of FCS in recent years. They are maintaining a high level of play and should be proud. The problem is that there is a BIG drop from that point and very few schools seem capable of even closing the gap on a consistent basis. A few teams do it for a season but don't maintain the high level. It's hard to compare streaks because I don't think the regular season schedule, or even the playoff games in earlier rounds are comparable to what we played. Any way you look at it though, NDSU is a juggernaut and what they are doing is impressive!
It should also be pointed out that the FCS playoff bracket included teams with 7-5 regular season records. They might be better suited to reducing the bracket size as well as the number of games. I can't imagine that it is cost effective for schools to travel for those early round games.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:01 pm

They should take the bottom 5 of the FBS and make them play in the FCS playoffs.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:30 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:01 pm
They should take the bottom 5 of the FBS and make them play in the FCS playoffs.
And when they lose in an early round make them play DII ball the next year.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Stop with the JV comments...It’s beneath us and disrespectful to 2 good teams.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm

I didn't even know this game was on. I was at a boat show and stopped into a restaurant/bar to eat and the game was being shown. It was so irrelevant to me and the rest of my table, all college football fans, that nobody watched it at all. I didn't even notice a single person in the entire place, and it was packed, watching the tv. A replay of an old SEC game would have been more interesting to that crowd. I am so happy that we made the jump.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:03 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm
I didn't even know this game was on. I was at a boat show and stopped into a restaurant/bar to eat and the game was being shown. It was so irrelevant to me and the rest of my table, all college football fans, that nobody watched it at all. I didn't even notice a single person in the entire place, and it was packed, watching the tv. A replay of an old SEC game would have been more interesting to that crowd. I am so happy that we made the jump.
For the record I went to the trouble of watching the FCS game while in the car taking a daughter back to college. I did not see the entire game but I watched a good bit of it, including in a restaurant.

I streamed without paying for it about 2 minutes of the FBS game yesterday.

I am glad we are in FBS but f#$% the Prig5 and all that is handed to them.

To each their own, but it was a good game. For the record the FCS is now the Saturday before the Monday FBS game.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:16 pm

"To each their own, but it was a good game. For the record the FCS is now the Saturday before the Monday FBS game."

Yes and it was on ABC and ESPN+ and broadcast via radio by Westwood One nationwide. We always got a Friday night on ESPN2 and all they talked about was the Heisman the next day.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”