NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

AppFan11
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:32 pm

Just read an Athletic article about what the settlement won’t mean…… 1) more lawsuits… one was filed Thursday 2) most schools won’t do $20M….3) it’s barely the first step toward reorganization of P5 G5 4) it’s not the end of NIL 5) people will still watch college football…….

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:35 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm
I’m going to admit that my YOSEF Club donation are pretty much about spending entertainment dollars. Don’t get me wrong I love App and I love football. But as this gets more and more absurd it just turns me off to the whole thing. I’m not ready to do it just yet but in the future I can see myself spending those entertainment dollars on a post hurricane season trip to St. John’s or an early winter trip to Colorado. I get and agree with the whole free market system but it’s hard for me to be behind guys who can run fast and catch a ball coming out of college with big money while teachers and police offers graduate with debt and go on to low paying jobs. I’m not looking for a government solution, just not sure I want to be part of that happening.
I get your point and agree with you. It’s your money to do what you will. The reality is that very few college athletes make professional careers out of their respective sports. NiL got out of control because of ego driven boosters that took advantage of lax rules. I think that this current system is going to eat itself and the new rules are going to ensure it’s doom in hopes that a reset occurs.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:35 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I’m going to admit that my YOSEF Club donation are pretty much about spending entertainment dollars. Don’t get me wrong I love App and I love football. But as this gets more and more absurd it just turns me off to the whole thing. I’m not ready to do it just yet but in the future I can see myself spending those entertainment dollars on a post hurricane season trip to St. John’s or an early winter trip to Colorado. I get and agree with the whole free market system but it’s hard for me to be behind guys who can run fast and catch a ball coming out of college with big money while teachers and police offers graduate with debt and go on to low paying jobs. I’m not looking for a government solution, just not sure I want to be part of that happening.
I get your point and agree with you. It’s your money to do what you will. The reality is that very few college athletes make professional careers out of their respective sports. NiL got out of control because of ego driven boosters that took advantage of lax rules. I think that this current system is going to eat itself and the new rules are going to ensure it’s doom in hopes that a reset occurs.
I agree with this, the issue is many programs will be the unintended consequences of these actions and they may not be able to come out on the other side.

Many of us are likely contemplating how we should allocate "excess" funds and time and some will err on the side of allocating those dollars to other causes (App academics) or trips to St. Johns.

Might impact decisions like retiring to the High Country for some. Always thought I'd live in the area half the year, but part of that equation was App athletics honestly.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri May 24, 2024 12:56 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
My sentiments as well . . . college sports turning into AAA baseball, interest will be there but not like it was (my opinion) prior to all this. Looks like more money for trips and other things in the ole entertainment bucket for me and the fam.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:32 pm

One aspect of this whole thing that I just thought about is this- most minor league sports aren't very good in general. Ultimately there are only the same pool of pro sports players worth paying to watch. I've enjoyed the NBA more mainly because I can bet on the games now. Even the best college football teams don't have really great players. It will be interesting to see how value is tagged to these young people. Even on the pro level contracts are absurd especially for baseball starting pitchers.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:46 pm

I read the payout will be based on snap count and recruiting stars, what a silly metric, meaningless stars.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:56 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I completely realize that the vast majority of guys won’t make any money as pro athletes. We used to think coming out of school with no debt was a pretty good payment to all those guys. I don’t begrudge any of these guys making money but something just seems off when athletic prowess is worth more than academic achievement. And that’s coming from a so, so student who was a better athlete. I hope you’re right about the reset.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri May 24, 2024 5:19 pm

My Yosef dollars will be well spent. I cannot stop supporting Appalachian. I can stop watching P5 games.

I’m guessing academic standing is moot at this point but Im sure contracts including performance measures are coming along with morals clauses, and buyouts.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:27 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 5:19 pm
My Yosef dollars will be well spent. I cannot stop supporting Appalachian. I can stop watching P5 games.

I’m guessing academic standing is moot at this point but Im sure contracts including performance measures are coming along with morals clauses, and buyouts.
Well here is the thing, if the school can pay now, then they can write and control the parameters of the deal. Stay on track to graduate, which the NCAA has rules. No opt outs of bowl games.

They still have to remain academically eligible as long as the NCAA exists.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:30 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 3:56 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I completely realize that the vast majority of guys won’t make any money as pro athletes. We used to think coming out of school with no debt was a pretty good payment to all those guys. I don’t begrudge any of these guys making money but something just seems off when athletic prowess is worth more than academic achievement. And that’s coming from a so, so student who was a better athlete. I hope you’re right about the reset.
Agree. I think the majority of former athletes aren’t happy about todays student athletes getting paid. We have seen the parameters of the ruling. It’s going to take them a few months to sort out how it’s going to work. Let’s see how it plays out.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Fri May 24, 2024 5:53 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I agree with this, the issue is many programs will be the unintended consequences of these actions and they may not be able to come out on the other side.

Many of us are likely contemplating how we should allocate "excess" funds and time and some will err on the side of allocating those dollars to other causes (App academics) or trips to St. Johns.

Might impact decisions like retiring to the High Country for some. Always thought I'd live in the area half the year, but part of that equation was App athletics honestly.
This describes me perfectly. I use to dream of retiring in Boone and just enjoy App State athletics, but it just doesn’t feel the same.

If we end up back in something equivalent to the IAA of the past, then I would see that as disappointing and a step backwards.

I always hoped one day we could make it to a Power Conference, perhaps the ACC, but I think that dream is totally dead.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri May 24, 2024 7:27 pm

I am sure when title IX was passed many thought that was the end of college sports. I do not believe that has happened. This is just a change in college sports. It may turnout to be better for everyone. If the schools are paying by stars then app will have an advantage, because most of Appalachian's players do not have the stars that the autonomous schools do. In other words Appalachian runs a less expensive program and has a better return on its investment.

Right now it is all about football, luckily App is in a conference in which it can compete, with programs that care whether they win or lose.

As long as we can play autonomous schools and have a shot at the college football playoff, what more would you ask to have?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:11 pm

The stars are a reference to the backpay calculation.

In its current state we are set up as a breeding ground for our players to be stolen after they are proven.

That is not a place where success (as defined competing for a CFP) can be achieved.

I would love for there to be a set of bylaws to level the playing field for the G5. I’m not expecting that unless the bottom half of the P4 wake up and realize wait we’re now at risk of being the bottom feeders.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri May 24, 2024 9:51 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:11 pm

In its current state we are set up as a breeding ground for our players to be stolen after they are proven.

That is not a place where success (as defined competing for a CFP) can be achieved.

I would love for there to be a set of bylaws to level the playing field for the G5. I’m not expecting that unless the bottom half of the P4 wake up and realize wait we’re now at risk of being the bottom feeders.
The bottom p4 do not care what happens, because they are in. The g5 are the ones that are going to have the most trouble holding onto players, however, if the p4 continue to play the g5 I believe you will see more upsets, because the players are playing for more than just money. If the p4 are able to stop playing the g5 then the g5 will go away, because the g5 needs the p4 games to finance their programs, the same is true of the FCS. Remember, you do not make that much in the FCS playoffs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:14 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:51 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:11 pm

The bottom p4 do not care what happens, because they are in. The g5 are the ones that are going to have the most trouble holding onto players, however, if the p4 continue to play the g5 I believe you will see more upsets, because the players are playing for more than just money. If the p4 are able to stop playing the g5 then the g5 will go away, because the g5 needs the p4 games to finance their programs, the same is true of the FCS. Remember, you do not make that much in the FCS playoffs.
I hear you but I am interested to see how this plays out. Keep in mind the salary cap if you will is $20-$22 million. How many schools would actually pay that? How many would even fund half that amount? The other thing to see what factors is TitleIX going to play into this.That cap is for all athletes. Not just football and basketball. So let’s say it is stated that payments must meet no worse than a 60/40 ratio by gender. I understand the premise that this allows P5’s to buy teams, but are we sure that’s going to happen? What % of guys that enter the portal actually get picked signed by a higher tier program? According to the article tagged below, the G5 programs collectively lost 239 players to P5 schools in the last cycle. 52 of those came from five programs. Conversely, 325 P5 transfers landed at G5 schools. 74 of those were added by five teams that were not good last year and had to reload. The bottom line is that there is a lot of fear of the unknown driving the anxiety of what could happen. Let’s see how it plays out.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nferences/

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Labor moves where there are incentives. The trend of top players leaving G5 for P4 programs is only getting started. We got a bigger taste of that in basketball this offseason. Buckle up fans.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:47 am

Important to remember that this settlement does not do away with payments from collectives. This is revenue sharing by the school. The collectives will still exist.

Also have heard some legal experts who believe Title IX does not apply to revenue sharing. It deals with equal opportunity for education not sharing athletic revenues. It will be an interesting debate.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:40 am

appst89 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:47 am
Important to remember that this settlement does not do away with payments from collectives. This is revenue sharing by the school. The collectives will still exist.

Also have heard some legal experts who believe Title IX does not apply to revenue sharing. It deals with equal opportunity for education not sharing athletic revenues. It will be an interesting debate.
That’s a great point about Title IX. As long as there are lawyers interested in lawyering then I wouldn’t discount some sort of tie in. The other side to that is that you have to pay female athletes now for NIl for promotional athletic events. It’s going to get interesting for sure.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat May 25, 2024 1:31 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 am
How many sports will be cut and how many entire athletic departments will be shuttered completely because of this?

The way I read it is that the cap will be $22 million per year to begin with and will adjust based on revenue. That is the number for the P4 schools. What will the amount be for a Belt school? How do FCS and non-football schools deal with this? They generally have no revenue to share.
Title IX still exists as well. Can’t wait for the arguments to come out about why a women’s shuffleboard player should get as much money as the starting QB.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat May 25, 2024 1:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:40 am
appst89 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:47 am

That’s a great point about Title IX. As long as there are lawyers interested in lawyering then I wouldn’t discount some sort of tie in. The other side to that is that you have to pay female athletes now for NIl for promotional athletic events. It’s going to get interesting for sure.
Title IX isn’t just interesting here. The way the law is written, I really wouldn’t be surprised if the only way to keep up was to cut all men’s sports but football and then have three or four women’s sports. Women will have to be paid equal to men, regardless of their contribution to the revenue being shared.

It’s kind of like a communist or socialist economic system while the arguments in court were purely about Free Markets and monopolies.

Convoluted doesn’t begin to cover it. I’m of the opinion that, absent any other changes, App would continue to get many of the same players that they always would have gotten, and the big boys will get what they get.

My question comes into employment. How can you mandate that an employee also be a student? How can you mandate eligibility rules? How can you limit the number of years that someone can work?

This is going to turn into a new professional league where football teams are “sponsored” by universities. It will be the Michigan Wolverines sponsored by the University of Michigan. Or the Boise Broncos sponsored by Boise State University. Or the Appalachian Mountain Mountaineers sponsored by Appalachian State University.

These teams will be made up of employees and it will no longer be a requirement to be a student. The lack of intestinal fortitude by judges ruling on these cases blows my mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”