Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Summers Stays at GASO

AppFan11
School: Appalachian State

Summers Stays at GASO

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:10 pm

For those that thought otherwise, GASO's AD came out after the game with a statement essentially saying that while results haven't been where we expect them, there seems to be a plan in place so coach Summers will be back next year.

hotrod2001

Re: Summers Stays at GASO

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Unless it's cataclysmic, I ususally think a HC should be allowed to start off with 4 years so he can see his recruits from high school mature into juniors and seniors before showing them the door. Otherwise, You're going to bring in another coach, with a bunch of other recruits which will still take another 4 years to cycle through.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:26 pm

I agree in usual circumstances but unless they get some results they will have a third of their regular attendance until he's gone.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 pm

I think it's pretty darn cataclysmic in Statesboro. Have heard suggestions it goes beyond just losing games too.

Does anyone have a link to this statement? Not sure I'd put much weight in it if it's just the standard midseason vote of confidence.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 am

The alphabet has more W’s than Georgia Southern.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 pm
I think it's pretty darn cataclysmic in Statesboro. Have heard suggestions it goes beyond just losing games too.

Does anyone have a link to this statement? Not sure I'd put much weight in it if it's just the standard midseason vote of confidence.
There currently is no "mid season statement". This is another case of someone reviving a year old thread without intro. to that being the case.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 am

If this is true, that is great news. Can't stand them and hope the worst for them each year, and their coach truly is the worst. However, it's not like we don't see stuff like this every year in college sports. Mid season an AD announces his support and by the end of the season or early in the next season the coach is gone. I personally hope he stays for years and they are continually stuck in cellar of the Sun Belt.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am

APPRIDE wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 pm

There currently is no "mid season statement". This is another case of someone reviving a year old thread without intro. to that being the case.
Ah crap, thanks. I try to make a point to catch stuff like that, but obviously missed it this time.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:28 pm
Unless it's cataclysmic, I ususally think a HC should be allowed to start off with 4 years so he can see his recruits from high school mature into juniors and seniors before showing them the door. Otherwise, You're going to bring in another coach, with a bunch of other recruits which will still take another 4 years to cycle through.
Case in point would be Dave Doren at NC State. How long has that fan base wanted to run him out of town? Now look what he is doing down there in Raleigh. Kudos to the administration for sticking with him.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm

This is a tricky recycled thread... but GS dis have a Ask the AD segment in which the athletic director belittled the fans and make his public post of standing by his man:

Interestingly, both AD and Coach may go down with the law suit from the two dismissed football coaches from last season.

Our Athletic Department is ten times ten thousand better with our delivery and professionalism... This video is a joke.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:18 pm

It's nice of the AD to go down with the coach that he hired.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Case in point would be Dave Doren at NC State. How long has that fan base wanted to run him out of town? Now look what he is doing down there in Raleigh. Kudos to the administration for sticking with him.
Yeah, this is what? Summers' second season as HC right? I'd say give him at least one more season, regardless of how the rest of this one goes down. Next year his first set of recruits will be juniors and should start to mature. After '18 if they still are staring down a horrible season then let him go.

Georgia Southern is just going to have to come to terms that this is a rebuilding year and that they're going to take some lumps with a coaching change.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm
Georgia Southern is just going to have to come to terms that this is a rebuilding year and that they're going to take some lumps with a coaching change.
stink fans are not very good at that. But I agree, they need to show their coach, his recruiting classes, prospective recruits and prospective coaching replacements a little less volatility. Now, if the controversy surrounding lawsuit brings down the AD, that's little different twist on things. Regardless, the stink is going to have to come to terms with rebuilding. No doubt one day we will have to revisit it ourselves. We probably won't be very good at it either.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:16 am

CVAPP wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
stink fans are not very good at that. But I agree, they need to show their coach, his recruiting classes, prospective recruits and prospective coaching replacements a little less volatility. Now, if the controversy surrounding lawsuit brings down the AD, that's little different twist on things. Regardless, the stink is going to have to come to terms with rebuilding. No doubt one day we will have to revisit it ourselves. We probably won't be very good at it either.
Oh and let's not forget how some of our best "fans" stayed behind our coaches 100% a couple of years ago --- For Sale signs, fire the bums, Satterfield is over his head, Woody must go --- Yep!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Yeah, this is what? Summers' second season as HC right? I'd say give him at least one more season, regardless of how the rest of this one goes down. Next year his first set of recruits will be juniors and should start to mature. After '18 if they still are staring down a horrible season then let him go.

Normally I would agree just on the mere fact that if the program is so quick to pull the trigger on TS, it could give future coaches pause about taking the job, especially considering the pending lawsuits. However, TS took over one of the top rushing offenses in the country and has managed to run it into the ground, pun definitely intended. Think about last year when they had Breida and Ellison and how ineffective they were throughout most of the season. It's not like he inherited a team of scrubs.

Obviously they aren't flowing in money but now the fans are voicing their displeasure with their wallets. They are averaging a little more than 15k (yes I realize they relocated for a hurricane) and I only see that going down as the season progresses. That's roughly 5k less than their average. If TK decides to stick with TS next season, they could be in a world of hurt for a few more seasons both financially and competitively. Fans won't buy tickets or show for games and TS doesn't seem like half the recruiter that ole Willie was during his short stint in the Boro. That is not a good combo for building and maintaining success.

There also seems to be a disconnect between the AD and the fan base. TK calling out the Eagle faithful is not a smart move. They were every bit as successful as App, if not moreso, through the transition. He made a terrible hire and wants to deflect..."this is hard." On top of alienating the fans, GS celebrated AP and Erk this past homecoming weekend. It's rumored TK reached out to Erk's family to invite them down for the celebration. Instead of asking, "how many tickets would you like?" TK asks, "would you like 4 free tickets?" Also, anyone who knows the legend of Erk would understand he would not want to be honored with an alternate jersey. If anything, they should've worn their regular home uniforms with the throwback being a piece of white tape down the middle of the helmet.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 am

Bingo, moonshine. GS may be a rebuild now, but Summers didn't inherit a rebuild. He took over a program that was winning and stocked to keep doing so. And he ran them into the ground almost immediately.

Yes, it's absolutely possible we'll be looking at a rebuild someday. Inevitable, eventually. But if we keep winning 10 a year until Satt leaves and then the next guy has us staring at a winless season two years later, I sure hope we're not sitting here saying "Well you have to give him at least 4-5 years to get his own recruits in there."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”