Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NLRB ruling on private FBS football

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: NLRB ruling on private FBS football

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Rick83 wrote:
So, this just applies to football? Seems like it'd apply to all athletes at the private schools as well, also what about cheerleaders, marching band, mascots, etc...they all add to the college football experience.
I realize that football is the major source for revenue but I can't see how you can discriminate against a similar class of "employees" based on revenue generation. I would imagine that basketball brings in a lot at the major basketball schools like Duke, so those guys should get paid too? If the private schools pay then the public schools would have to follow suit to stay competitive and how does the NCAA factor in at that point?

I personally don't like this development, but I've never liked, nor been as interested in Olympic team sports (the actual Olympics) since they allow professionals to participate now. Just doesn't have the same feeling and something wast lost in my opinion. If college football goes down this road I fear it just won't be the same, perhaps the beginning of the end.
I am sure revenue plays some part in this, but at the end of the day it was football players that pressed the issue and therefore the ruling was about football. If basketball follows I could see the same ruling given the amount of money basketball brings in and it could extend to all DI private basketball schools and not just the Prig5 privates. Then again their could be some sort of revenue minimum a school must hit to go from having athletes become employees. Since even the non-revenue sports for the Prig5 conferences add value to the cable networks it would, in my view, make an easy case to state that all athletes at a private DI or a DI Prig5 conference are employees and help bring in revenue, though it may take a sport by sport to have case law to be built up in this area. Labor law can have some very interesting applications and have very specific narrow rulings.

I feel somewhat the same way about all of this, but at the end of the day I do spend the ticket money to see the athletes play, be that at college, minor league or the very rare major league event.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”