Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Rothstein: UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion

appstateeyedoc
School: Appalachian State

Rothstein: UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion

Unread post by appstateeyedoc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:31 am

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothste ... expansion/

FanRag Sports reported last week that UConn had looked into joining the conference and one source confirmed on Wednesday that the Big East would take the Huskies in all sports.

The issue then for UConn would be to find a home for its football program, which wouldn’t be able to join the Big East because the doesn’t league’s participants do not have football.

“The Big East would take UConn in everything, but they need to resolve what they’re going to do with football,” one source said. “That’s the only thing that’s standing in the way of a marriage.”

If UConn goes to the Big East does the AAC let them stay as a football only member? Could this start a domino effect for the G5?

Rick83

Re: Rothstein: UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

So, if UConn pulled out of the AAC and we were invited...should we make that jump? We'd be in the AAC Eastern division with ECU. I'd still want to schedule Georgia Southern each year...unless they continue their decline and are no longer competetive then we'd need a new rival...perhaps ECU?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Absolutely we would make that jump if offered.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

If its strictly a football decision on the AAC's part, one would think we would be considered. If they look at the entire athletic program, they probably have better options.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I doubt UConn could go independent in football and AAC would likely keep them for football only. Precedent was set when Boise was going to join the conference for football only but then backed out to go back to Mtn West.

Even if a spot opened up in AAC, would they think to take us over schools like Marshall (tradition), WKU (lots of recent success), Old Dominion (TV market), or Ark St (lots of recent success)? Specific to Ark St, AAC could move Navy to East and add a team in the West.

Would we go if offered, absolutely just because of ECU. I still think that a larger, more geographic friendly realignment is set to happen once AAC TV rights go up for renegotiation. So whatever may happen in the short term with UConn is likely not the longer term outcome IMO.
Last edited by ASUGoose on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Yes App makes the move to the AAC if the opportunity presents itself. However, I don't believe App is on the short list of programs the AAC would choose from. I'd guess the AAC would want to make a move into a new state and I highly doubt Compher would be a cheerleader for the Mountaineers the way Holland did. My guess would be ODU which would bring the conference a new state, a top 45 tv market, recruiting hotbed, a top 5 G5 budget ($42m+) outside of the AAC and decent b-ball.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm

moonshine wrote:Yes App makes the move to the AAC if the opportunity presents itself. However, I don't believe App is on the short list of programs the AAC would choose from. I'd guess the AAC would want to make a move into a new state and I highly doubt Compher would be a cheerleader for the Mountaineers the way Holland did. My guess would be ODU which would bring the conference a new state, a top 45 tv market, recruiting hotbed, a top 5 G5 budget ($42m+) outside of the AAC and decent b-ball.
I'm too lazy to type what you said in my own words so I will just say.....YUP...AGREED
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:29 pm

App would likely be pretty far down the list as others have stated. App really needs to improve their basketball and baseball programs to be more competitive and attractive to the AAC. ODU would certainly get a good look if a team were needed and just about any program in another G5 conference would bolt to AAC if asked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”