Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Interesting Bill To Watch

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Interesting Bill To Watch

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:28 am

Stonewall wrote:The SEC would take the big boys in a heartbeat ,which might actually be a better deal. Yes the GA has the authority ,but this is nothing more than a shot over the bow.
It is a pretty sad state of affairs that a GA could control a conference affiliation. That is just way too much authority for a political body to have.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:58 am

Again...wont make it our of committee.........I'm going to start doing some background on the Legislators...will put in the politics folder.
And Moose. I got a chuckle out of the 24 point type you used so everyone would heed your comments.........

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:NCAA,ACC,NFL,NBA,ESPN and other entertainment organizations should stay out of politics. This was something that lots of folks had an issue with (the bill). What will we do when they decide to hold a state hostage over an issue that is purely in their interest.

I agree we would probably suffer more if Sun Belt boycotted. Tar holes and Pack would get several invites.
Sorry but you are missing the BOTTOM LINE
These organizations you mentioned are entities that are driven by profit - they are no different than Microsoft or Pharma companies or Oil and Gas - All these companies CLEARLY don't stay out of politics and they make decisions which adhere to their "principles" and their BOTTOM LINE ---
I agree on the profit motive, but there are some significant differences here. I love the NFL, but I can tell them to go to Hell a lot faster than turning my back on my alma mater. Something about getting accepted, being part of a college community and family, getting a degree, the pride of seeing your child become a legacy,...It's just different when an organization like the NCAA or a conference tries to hold that hostage to promote their political agenda. What's to stop them from saying, "If you don't support our candidate in 2020, your university will be kicked out of the NCAA"?

If the Starbucks, Microsoft, or Target want to gamble their bottom line by promoting their social and political agendas- fine, but an organization of mostly taxpayer supported institutions should not resort to extortion to shove its political agenda down the throats of those who just want to support their schools and watch some sports.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:19 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:NCAA,ACC,NFL,NBA,ESPN and other entertainment organizations should stay out of politics. This was something that lots of folks had an issue with (the bill). What will we do when they decide to hold a state hostage over an issue that is purely in their interest.

I agree we would probably suffer more if Sun Belt boycotted. Tar holes and Pack would get several invites.
These organizations you mentioned are entities that are driven by profit - they are no different than Microsoft or Pharma companies or Oil and Gas - All these companies CLEARLY don't stay out of politics and they make decisions which adhere to their "principles" and their BOTTOM LINE ---
I agree on the profit motive, but there are some significant differences here. I love the NFL, but I can tell them to go to Hell a lot faster than turning my back on my alma mater. Something about getting accepted, being part of a college community and family, getting a degree, the pride of seeing your child become a legacy,...It's just different when an organization like the NCAA or a conference tries to hold that hostage to promote their political agenda. What's to stop them from saying, "If you don't support our candidate in 2020, your university will be kicked out of the NCAA"?

If the Starbucks, Microsoft, or Target want to gamble their bottom line by promoting their social and political agendas- fine, but an organization of mostly taxpayer supported institutions should not resort to extortion to shove its political agenda down the throats of those who just want to support their schools and watch some sports.
We are starting to get into politics now instead of examining impact.

I disagree completely with you. People and organizations regardless need to speak up when something is patently wrong. What about the agenda of the fool who proposed the most recent Bill?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Here's a link to the bill with all the reps who support it. Brody and Millis also supported bills to look at the tax exempt status of the NCAA, so they're habitual grand-standers.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLook ... illID=H728

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

I disagree completely with you. People and organizations regardless need to speak up when something is patently wrong. What about the agenda of the fool who proposed the most recent Bill?
There will be no impact to examine, because this is never going to happen, and I agree it should have never been proposed. However, what the NCAA and ACC did was very real, as were the consequences to the state. Regardless of their political philosophy, I don't like anyone using college sports to assert that kind of coercion. As for something being patently wrong, my question is, "According to whom?"

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:20 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

There will be no impact to examine, because this is never going to happen, and I agree it should have never been proposed. However, what the NCAA and ACC did was very real, as were the consequences to the state. Regardless of their political philosophy, I don't like anyone using college sports to assert that kind of coercion. As for something being patently wrong, my question is, "According to whom?"
I'm sure you meant "anyone" using leverage of college sports just not the ACC and the NCAA....like the idiot who submitted the bill?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Mad Doctor - The NCAA nor the ACC initiated this mess - they reacted to what they thought was policy contrary to their "principles" - 49 other states did not cross that line and cause their state to be boycotted.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm

I certainly did mean "anyone" and stated that I didn't agree with the bill proposal either. However, did your comment about organizations having the right to "speak up" include the right to impose their will by harming a state's economy as well as punishing their student athletes?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:44 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:Mad Doctor - The NCAA nor the ACC initiated this mess - they reacted to what they thought was policy contrary to their "principles" - 49 other states did not cross that line and cause their state to be boycotted.
What they reacted to is a "who" , their corporate puppet masters.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:Mad Doctor - The NCAA nor the ACC initiated this mess - they reacted to what they thought was policy contrary to their "principles" - 49 other states did not cross that line and cause their state to be boycotted.

WVAPPeer,
I'm not defending the debacle that took place in NC, and I would have been fine with the NCAA issuing a written statement condemning the bill. However, putting a gun to the head of the state, threatening economic damages and the punishment of student athletes went way too far.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:04 pm

My APP brothers, at this time, I'm leaving the political discussion and am on my way to a wonderful four day weekend. I wish you all a very Happy Easter.
out.png
out.png (87.07 KiB) Viewed 4378 times

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Please do not go there. About to start the political discussion

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:I certainly did mean "anyone" and stated that I didn't agree with the bill proposal either. However, did your comment about organizations having the right to "speak up" include the right to impose their will by harming a state's economy as well as punishing their student athletes?
Absolutely!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:46 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

And why should institutions in other states not be allowed to say they do not want their tax money spent in a state that treats some people with less rights than others. The NCAA was not keeping anyone away from donating to App, nor visiting App either at home or away games. All it was doing was saying no to non-neutral site games. What the state of NC was trying to do was limit the rights of a certain section of society.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:31 am

MAD Doctor wrote:My APP brothers, at this time, I'm leaving the political discussion and am on my way to a wonderful four day weekend. I wish you all a very Happy Easter.

out.png
I hear ya Brother, personally I'm ready for a float trip to the South Branch Potomac River in West by god Virginia. Crack open a few cold ones, drag out the canoe and fishing rods, etc. and hit it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u7qvMPMbow

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

And why should institutions in other states not be allowed to say they do not want their tax money spent in a state that treats some people with less rights than others. The NCAA was not keeping anyone away from donating to App, nor visiting App either at home or away games. All it was doing was saying no to non-neutral site games. What the state of NC was trying to do was limit the rights of a certain section of society.
If we do not want to get political after this post, please close it down. Otherwise it will get political

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:31 am

You are probably correct, but I would prefer my post stay if the entire thread stays and if there is going to be some censorship for the good of the board then there will need to be a few more posts removed along with mine. I am not sure I should take responsibility for derailing the thread.

In reality this is going to be very hard to keep non-political, as much as Firemoose stressed that at the start, and as much as I agree with his sentiments in general.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:40 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:You are probably correct, but I would prefer my post stay if the entire thread stays and if there is going to be some censorship for the good of the board then there will need to be a few more posts removed along with mine. I am not sure I should take responsibility for derailing the thread.

In reality this is going to be very hard to keep non-political, as much as Firemoose stressed that at the start, and as much as I agree with his sentiments in general.
It awfully hard to not delve into politics since political posturing by a couple of legislators. I think based on past "discussions" we know where each other stands. I'm off next week leaving the big city for the altitude and clean air of Todd.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am

I'm not going to delete any posts. I'm just closing the thread.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”