Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Interesting Bill To Watch

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Interesting Bill To Watch

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm putting this here, even though it could go in several forums, because the headlines are about the ACC but it does apply to all UNC System schools. This is a discussion about the possible effects on the schools athletic programs. NOT a Political thread. Everyone be careful to keep the politics out of this as much as possible. Just fair warning that if it devolves into a purely political thread it will be pulled from the board.

Doubtful this will pass even with the current makeup of the GA but things in NC are interesting to say the least. I decided to put it up because it's made all the major sports sites.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... -new-bill/

Yosef10

Re: Interesting Bill To Watch

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Jesus Christ what an embarrassment to the state these clowns are.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Even if this bill were to pass, UNC & NCSU will not leave the ACC. They are not going to voluntarily give up $20+mil because some politicians are trying to posture unless the SEC (or Sun Belt) decides to give them a life line.

"The bill says the legislature has “the final authority” on UNC system schools’ membership status in athletic conferences."

Hahaha....UNC will take a page from their NCAA investigation and throw so much money into a lawsuit to delay any kind of forced annexation.

This might finally be ECU's chance to make it into the ACC, assuming the legislators will allow it.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 pm

On behalf of those that I represent from Appalachian the State Legislators who sponsored this bill can kiss the fattest part of my a**.
Of course this will never pass because of lack of support from GOP leaders.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:56 pm

With that rational, then all UNC System schools will end up in the NIAA playing junior colleges.

House Bill 278 states that if "a constituent institution of The University of North Carolina" -- UNC, NC State, Appalachian State, Charlotte and 14 others -- participates in a league that enacts a boycott of the state, then that school is "prohibited from extending any grant of media rights to the conference" and will inform that league of the intention to withdraw from the conference.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 pm

To me just at a glance the schools that should be worried about this would be the same state schools(IE us). UNC and State would have no problem finding a new home, but who is taking us? Maybe C-USA, but even that's a stretch to me. I really pray this doesn't make it through, absolutely ridiculous.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I had a difficult time deciding to put this up. I've not been a fan of the direction the board has taken, especially when the political folder was up. I was under no illusion that this was not going to involve some political discussion since it had to, given what it was. But I was hoping to keep it as centered as possible on the direct possible affects, especially where we and the other UNC schools not named UNC-CH and NC State are concerned, and not have it go full on into politics only. I sat on this for a couple of hours trying to decide what to do but knew if I didn't put it up someone else would. If people want to give me a hard time about it fine, I can take it. But keep in mind that I HATED to politics folder and never posted in there or even read it after the BS got so bad.

As Rek said it's doubtful this can possibly pass without the GA leadership. And the suits would be far and wide. But it is what it is. Bout time to leave this all behind anyway.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 pm

So Moose - please weed all this crap out for me (and others I am sure) as to what this really means. Is all of this just smokescreen for certain parties to appease their base knowing this will not go anywhere or is this real? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Political theater.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Tuesday was the bill filing deadline for most NCGA bills. There were a number of stupid ones, but because of HB2 and its repeal, this is getting the most attention.

There are several NCGOPers who have a bitter aftertaste after the HB2 repeal, cause they feel like they were bullied by the NCAA and other businesses into doing it, so this is their attempt at lashing out.

0.1% chance this passes.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:40 pm

My question is do they actually have the power to do it? Seems strange to me.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm

bcoach wrote:My question is do they actually have the power to do it? Seems strange to me.
Good Question - I meant to include that question as well ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:36 pm

The reason for this is because those in the GA felt that the NCAA and the ACC forced the HB2 repeal, basically acting as a cartel. This is nothing more than their way to strike back at them.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:04 pm

It wont even see the committee room. Just a middle finger to the NCAA and ACC for pulling games. Certainly would not get worked up over this, not worth the time.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 pm

These guys are imbeciles. Really need to stop wasting time and our tax dollars with stupidity like this.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:13 pm

NCAA,ACC,NFL,NBA,ESPN and other entertainment organizations should stay out of politics. This was something that lots of folks had an issue with (the bill). What will we do when they decide to hold a state hostage over an issue that is purely in their interest.

I agree we would probably suffer more if Sun Belt boycotted. Tar holes and Pack would get several invites.

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:30 pm

And the chief imbecile of the State Senate (Phil Berger) is from my hometown. I think I will go buy myself a black hood to wear.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 pm

First the economic impact for any school that is banned from a conference will be devestating for the athletic programs.
Secondly and this in the further impact and why it would never get any traction. Just imagine all the State and UNC alumni and school supporters who are voters. Now imagine those.voters getting pissed at the legislators. And the Sunbelt wouldn't do anything anyway given the demographics of its member schools.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 am

1ASU78 wrote:NCAA,ACC,NFL,NBA,ESPN and other entertainment organizations should stay out of politics. This was something that lots of folks had an issue with (the bill). What will we do when they decide to hold a state hostage over an issue that is purely in their interest.

I agree we would probably suffer more if Sun Belt boycotted. Tar holes and Pack would get several invites.
Sorry but you are missing the BOTTOM LINE
These organizations you mentioned are entities that are driven by profit - they are no different than Microsoft or Pharma companies or Oil and Gas - All these companies CLEARLY don't stay out of politics and they make decisions which adhere to their "principles" and their BOTTOM LINE ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:32 am

The SEC would take the big boys in a heartbeat ,which might actually be a better deal. Yes the GA has the authority ,but this is nothing more than a shot over the bow.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”