Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

10% cut

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

10% cut

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:14 pm

According to the ECU 247 staffer, Stephen Igoe, "All Pirate athletic programs are cutting 10 percent of their budget for the upcoming academic year, including recruiting budgets, per multiple sources."

OUCH!

They just extended AD Compher's contract another 5 years after he added a WLAX program that will run them a minimum of $500k, per some of their posters.

http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board ... s-53356778
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef10

Re: 10% cut

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:28 pm

That's probably a good move for them, they've been racking up losses on the fields while also going further and further into the red. Part of why I was so surprised to see their AD get a 5 year extension.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:30 pm

In reading that thread, one poster mentioned that they've been running in the red the past 4 years. It begs the questions, if they've been running this deficit for several years, why did they decide to add a non-revenue sport in WLAX at this time?
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:06 pm

The only somewhat logical reasons I ever heard were a clause in the Adidas contract and Title IX requirements. Don't think it was Title IX as they hadn't added a men's sport in a while. And i don't know why Adidas would want them to add women's lax. I don't think the AD could really give you a good reason for why it was added. Only continues to tighten the gap between the two of us.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Wasn't Comphler a a can'tamount at one point? That would explain their recent regression.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 pm

AppinVA wrote:Wasn't Comphler a a can'tamount at one point? That would explain their recent regression.
Yes he was.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:Wasn't Comphler a a can'tamount at one point? That would explain their recent regression.
Yes he was.
I'm not sure I could look at anything that came out of the athletics department in cullowhee and think, "I'd like to have me some of that."
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Wait, the AD just gets a 5 year extension(and most likely an increase), with the athletic department as a whole in the red for the past 5 years, adds a program that will cost an additional 500k per year and calls for each athletic program to cut their expenses by 10%. They must have just figured out a couple days ago that they were operating at a loss, right? I hope he took a page from the do as I do and not just as I say. Has someone had their head in the sand? Obviously more than one since I'm assuming the AD didn't just give himself an extension without anyone else's approval. Wow.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 am

ASU84 wrote:Wait, the AD just gets a 5 year extension(and most likely an increase), with the athletic department as a whole in the red for the past 5 years, adds a program that will cost an additional 500k per year and calls for each athletic program to cut their expenses by 10%. They must have just figured out a couple days ago that they were operating at a loss, right? I hope he took a page from the do as I do and not just as I say. Has someone had their head in the sand? Obviously more than one since I'm assuming the AD didn't just give himself an extension without anyone else's approval. Wow.
The cut may have come from the board down through him and they gave him the contract as cover as they try to do what they need to do to the department.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”