Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Former Offensive Coordinators Sue Georgia Southern

appyirish

Former Offensive Coordinators Sue Georgia Southern

Unread post by appyirish » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Former Offensive Coordinators Sue Georgia Southern

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 am

Fail Southern and no place else.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 am

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 am

Can't imagine why they aren't landing more recruits down there.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:53 pm

This is what you get when you run your program on pride and envy.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm sure assistant coaches are just lining up to come there now!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:51 pm

I know that some are happy to see Georgia Southern having trouble but it is better for us and the conference if they get back on track. I would like for the to do well....remaining a step behind App of course. :-)

I have been of the opinion that GS would be greatly improved with the new hires they made on offense. The assistants they got were knowledgeable of the triple option and would have a much better idea of how to use the talent on their roster. It will be interesting to see how this news impacts the team. It can't be good to have this going on just before fall camp. The University needs to settle this quickly and quietly. This mis-managed situation makes Charlie Cobb's handling of Coach Moore's "retirement" look downright professional.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:25 pm

This is not good news for us. We need a strong GS just as much as Duke needs a strong UNC. If we want to be honest we don't have another conference game that draws a tenth of the interest GS does. Every successful program has a strong rivalry. As much as I HATE GS we need a strong GS.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Yosef84 wrote:I know that some are happy to see Georgia Southern having trouble but it is better for us and the conference if they get back on track. I would like for the to do well....remaining a step behind App of course. :-)

I have been of the opinion that GS would be greatly improved with the new hires they made on offense. The assistants they got were knowledgeable of the triple option and would have a much better idea of how to use the talent on their roster. It will be interesting to see how this news impacts the team. It can't be good to have this going on just before fall camp. The University needs to settle this quickly and quietly. This mis-managed situation makes Charlie Cobb's handling of Coach Moore's "retirement" look downright professional.
Folks are definitely underestimating them from one season. I looked at their "failed" season scores, and they weren't too far from being a very good team. If they get their offense together we will hate them strongly soon.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:I know that some are happy to see Georgia Southern having trouble but it is better for us and the conference if they get back on track. I would like for the to do well....remaining a step behind App of course. :-)

Folks are definitely underestimating them from one season. I looked at their "failed" season scores, and they weren't too far from being a very good team. If they get their offense together we will hate them strongly soon.

You are more generous than I am. They sucked. And that was with 17 starters returning from a 9-win team. They lost a lot of talent after last season.

I do think their new coaches are likely an upgrade over the ones they fired (how could they not be?).

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 pm

bcoach wrote:This is not good news for us. We need a strong GS just as much as Duke needs a strong UNC. If we want to be honest we don't have another conference game that draws a tenth of the interest GS does. Every successful program has a strong rivalry. As much as I HATE GS we need a strong GS.
I don't know. Who is Boise's rival? I think a strong GS makes for a good showcase game for us, but I wouldn't say we need them in order to thrive ourselves.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 am

bcoach wrote:This is not good news for us. We need a strong GS just as much as Duke needs a strong UNC. If we want to be honest we don't have another conference game that draws a tenth of the interest GS does. Every successful program has a strong rivalry. As much as I HATE GS we need a strong GS.
We need them to do well as much as we need Furman to do well. Think about that. Thursday night rivalry games are thrilling and all, but not so much. We need to beat some P5s before we are ever going rise above. the stink is not needed for that.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:23 am

We ain't Boise and who else gets us on real TV on a Thursday night. Thursday night that was so important to everybody. Coastal Carolina maybe? I'm sorry but there has to be some interest in your own conference and GS is it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:06 am

If App maintains a top three position in the SBC they will continue to get 1 or 2 National TV games on Thursdays. Our current contract mandates five athursday games and those will continue to get spread around to the top teams. For 2017 GS is getting in one of those games because of our success.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:05 am

Saint3333 wrote:If App maintains a top three position in the SBC they will continue to get 1 or 2 National TV games on Thursdays. Our current contract mandates five athursday games and those will continue to get spread around to the top teams. For 2017 GS is getting in one of those games because of our success.
Would you want that game to be against Coastal? my point is that a strong GS makes for a game people will actually watch. There is a tradition that the public is actually aware of. We both dominated FCS and had huge success on the move up. We all have different opinions but I believe that a strong GS is better for us than a weak one.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 am

bcoach wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:If App maintains a top three position in the SBC they will continue to get 1 or 2 National TV games on Thursdays. Our current contract mandates five athursday games and those will continue to get spread around to the top teams. For 2017 GS is getting in one of those games because of our success.
Would you want that game to be against Coastal? my point is that a strong GS makes for a game people will actually watch. There is a tradition that the public is actually aware of. We both dominated FCS and had huge success on the move up. We all have different opinions but I believe that a strong GS is better for us than a weak one.

Have the ratings for App-GS been markedly better than our other Thursday night games? I think you're overestimating how much the public outside of our own fans is actually aware of that tradition, let alone cares about it.

As far as "We aren't Boise" - neither was Boise, until they were. And really I don't think most G5s have longstanding rivals because the conferences shuffle around so much. Who is Houston's rival, after all? Who was TCU's rival when they were in the Mountain West?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that the GS rivalry is beneficial for us. I just disagree that we *need* them to be good in order for App to succeed. I think the main benefit is in having a home game people actually care about, which I agree with you that no one else in the Sun Belt provides. But I'm not convinced the SBC in its current iteration will last much longer than the previous versions.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:52 am

Since we scheduled WF for a home and home I have thought it could become the prime rival for us. A P5 team as a rival couldn't hurt!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:27 pm

I'd argue an above average GS is good for us.

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Saint3333 wrote:I'd argue an above average GS is good for us.

I don't know if that's the case specifically. I think a Sun Belt with several above average teams is good for us, but GS doesn't have to be one of them.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 am

Chances are the stink will slither out of their gnat infested swamp and demonstrate their winning tradition still means something, but for now their tradition is trending more and more to turmoil, turnover and failure on gridiron. Some part of my heart tells me to pity their current predicament and wish them success rebuilding, but my mind clearly says our success is not in any way specifically tied to theirs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”