Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UALR Football feasibility study

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

UALR Football feasibility study

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am

It's my understanding that football-less UALR and UTA have a standing invitation for becoming football members of the Sun Belt if they were to add a football program. Can anyone refute this claim?

UALR restarting football does not get me excited. I like the Belt at 10, especially considering the CFP payout. I'd much rather the conference stay at 10 or if they want to expand, try to add already existing FBS programs (ie. USM, ODU, Marsha...). I would put MTSU and/or WKU on that list but they left and probably have no desire to return.

Announcement:
http://lrtrojans.com/sports/2017/7/11/f ... study.aspx

Financial challenge per stAte:
http://www.scout.com/college/arkansas-s ... k-football
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

appst89
Site Admin

Re: UALR Football feasibility study

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

From reading some previous discussions about this, I think most folks in Arkansas believe there is no way the Razorbacks let this happen. It will be interesting to watch this play out over the next couple of years.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:03 am

moonshine wrote:It's my understanding that football-less UALR and UTA have a standing invitation for becoming football members of the Sun Belt if they were to add a football program. Can anyone refute this claim?

UALR restarting football does not get me excited. I like the Belt at 10, especially considering the CFP payout. I'd much rather the conference stay at 10 or if they want to expand, try to add already existing FBS programs (ie. USM, ODU, Marsha...). I would put MTSU and/or WKU on that list but they left and probably have no desire to return.

Announcement:
http://lrtrojans.com/sports/2017/7/11/f ... study.aspx

Financial challenge per stAte:
http://www.scout.com/college/arkansas-s ... k-football
I agree. We don't need startups and FCS conversions to continue if we want to build respect for the conference. We need strong teams if we want respect and frankly if we want to continue to get better. We are not raising the bar with startups.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm

There is a reason why this is coming up right now. Like the article I posted a few weeks ago said, just because realignment isn't a front page, everyday topic doesn't mean that discussions aren't going on on a regular basis. Everybody knows the current model isn't sustainable but exactly how to get things done that will benefit the most schools possible is still being worked out.

One of the sticking points is that, using CUSA and the Belt as the primary players, that Ark St is kind of lonely in the Western/Northern part. The Eastern area is much easier to equally divide up. Just a straight merger gives six teams, as the current structure is set, for both the north (MTSU, WKU, ODU, UNCC, Marshall, App) and south (Ga Sou, Ga St, Troy, CCU, and the Florida two). The West/South is more complex but there are enough teams to make it work. But the West/North is lacking. Word from people at Middle and WKU is they would rather stay in the east than join Ark St or any of their former foes in the west/north. Funny that the opposition of App has pretty much completely dried up. But one or both might have to go to make things work and that also opens up the fact that it would mean having to add one or two in the Eastern/Northern part (hello LU and the reason why they are taking the chance to go Indy). No one I've talked to wants anything to do with LU and it has nothing to do with religion. But this is one reason why this LR stuff has popped up.

This is just one possible scenario of many that are being discussed. Again, the one point that everyone is agreeing on is that the current conference structures and models are not sustainable for several reasons. But getting something worked out that will make the most schools happy and by extension tick of the least number of schools is the real problem and one that is going to take a lot of discussions and decisions to figure out. This is only the beginning of the next wave.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 pm

The longer it takes for realignment to happen the more likely it is we will see a group of schools breakaway and form a new league. This isn't anyone's first choice as there will be hurdles with the CFP and NCAA, but at some point the top dogs will get sick of the current alignment.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:32 pm

One reason UALR is doing this is because the Razorbacks historically have played a lot of home games in Little Rock, but are gone after 2019 because they can now make more money in their home stadium. The City of Little Rock is going to be losing millions and they are looking at some way to make some back. Otherwise, they'll have a 55K seat stadium sitting empty.

Most of the funding for this study is coming from outside UALR. They're looking for what they need to do and if UALR is game, they'll go along and start the process.

And as Moose says, this helps the school have a seat at the next realignment table.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34 pm

T-Dog wrote:One reason UALR is doing this is because the Razorbacks historically have played a lot of home games in Little Rock, but are gone after 2019 because they can now make more money in their home stadium. The City of Little Rock is going to be losing millions and they are looking at some way to make some back. Otherwise, they'll have a 55K seat stadium sitting empty.

Most of the funding for this study is coming from outside UALR. They're looking for what they need to do and if UALR is game, they'll go along and start the process.

And as Moose says, this helps the school have a seat at the next realignment table.
Can they overcome the resistance from Fayetteville? The folks at UA apparently rule with an iron fist.

AppKing21

Unread post by AppKing21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 pm

appst89 wrote: :ugeek:

Can they overcome the resistance from Fayetteville? The folks at UA apparently rule with an iron fist.
I haven't heard anything negative about the UA system with regards to supporting the non Fayetteville schools, and I highly doubt they would do something like what the U of Alabama board did to UAB and try to undermine a school just to protect their flagship.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”