Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:49 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 am
94 - are you trying to us these classes were readily available to all students??? - are you sh--ing me??? - if you knew you could take courses where you were guaranteed an A, not have to go to class and only write a one page report you wouldn't have signed up for that??? - I absolutely would have!!! - what a joke ---
Was the class in the course catalog? As I stated in my response to the previous poster. If the class is available to everyone then it isn't preferential treatment. But speaking from experience, how many white students would have an interest in an African American studies class anyways?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:49 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:45 am
appbio91 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 am
This ruling was very much appropriate as the NCAA did not have a leg to stand on. The NCAA is a governing body of college athletics. They have minimal jurisdiction on non athletic aspects but not accademics. They are in charge of ensuring that athletes are not given preferential treatment above the regular student body. Clearly this was not the case here as these classes were available to everyone and all students had access to the liberal grading system. This was a problem for the school administration to deal with, and they failed to do so. Point blank, it was none of their business and wasted a lot of time and money to come to this conclusion.

I get the points that this is a black eye for the state education system, but for those of you that believe there are classes offered at universities around the country, you would be sadly mistaken. And while you are busy thumbing your nose at UNC for their lack of integrity, how do you feel about Appalachian State's season opening opponent next year? If you insist that you will never step foot in Chapel Hill again, I will gladly purchase your tickets the State College next year.
So you're saying they outsmarted the system by allowing a small number of the general population participate in the cheating...
So are you saying that they limited the number of non athletes that took the class? Can you prove that students were discouraged or told that they could not take the class?

Again, I am not defending the actions of the school. I am merely stating that they played within the rules of the NCAA laws by permitting non athletes to take them. If the rule sucks or has loopholes then it is the fault of the rule maker. Was the class listed in the Course Catalog? It's not about the law, it's about what you can prove.
"That makes me smart..."

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:55 am

HeffnerIV wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:11 am
HeffnerIV wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:32 am
Proof that the human mind can convince itself of anything.
Perspectives create opinions. Opinions create discussions.
So does a lack of perspective.
Lack of perspective is solely the judgement of the person who refuses to acknowledge that there are different perspectives.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:44 am
Appdoggy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 am
The NCAA made itself clear: if spend enough $ after the fact you may perpetrate the grandest academic fraud scandal in US history with impunity. This is indefensible no matter what color shirt you wear in March. Celebrate that your pretty little banners get to stay put, UNC fans, but the world knows you have no integrity.

They've undermined the very concept of the "student-athlete." The NCAA's primary role is to protect that concept. UNC robbed their students of a college education so they could profit from their free labor and the volume of hush money ruled the day. There is no longer any doubt that the NCAA is corrupt.

I'd like to see the other UNC System schools band together with some kind of statement denying UNC's status as North Carolina's "flagship" public University.

Pay attention to individual human reactions to this. It will tell you a lot about that person's values and whether they're a person of integrity.
Lol. And what school do you propose be the state's flagship? UNC is the country's oldest public university. It has a rich history and is responsible for educating some of the State's most influential leaders.

Look, I'm not saying the University doesn't have its flaws. This academic scandal was horrendous. But it's over (thank god). And UNC has certainly suffered in the court of public perception. The university is heading in the right direction towards rebuilding that perception and that is important. Having a strong flagship university in NC is important for the well-being of, not just our university system, but of our State as a whole. Unfortunately this isn't something our GA or the BOG understand all of the time.
You are kidding right?
No buddy. I'm a believer public eduction. Public schools on up to State Universities. I think a strong public university system is incredibly important to a state. And, like it or not, UNC is the most important school in the system. When it hurts, our State hurts. The success of UNC doesn't have to come at the expense of other schools in the system, which is what some seem to think. It's a system after all, not a bunch of autonomous schools. I'm an App and UNC first guy, but most importantly, I hope the best for all of our public universities because that's what's best for North Carolina.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:55 am
HeffnerIV wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
Lack of perspective is solely the judgement of the person who refuses to acknowledge that there are different perspectives.
Yes, there are multiple perspectives. Some are created more equal than others. Others are created in an AFAM Course in chapel hill.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:16 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
Yes, there are multiple perspectives. Some are created more equal than others. Others are created in an AFAM Course in chapel hill.
So what is your perspective? If this had happened at LSU or Michigan, would this thread be as popular as it is. So I ask, is your perspective based on the academic fraud itself, or because it is Carolina?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Does it really matter??? - a major university just got away with "the largest academic fraud in the history of the NCAA" (not my words) - and anyone who can defend that is delusional ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:16 pm
HeffnerIV wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

So what is your perspective? If this had happened at LSU or Michigan, would this thread be as popular as it is. So I ask, is your perspective based on the academic fraud itself, or because it is Carolina?
If it happened at Michigan it'd be a bigger deal than at LSU as Michigan is seen as one of the 'public ivys,' like North Carolina. So yes, I'd have a different opinion.

Are you arguing that those who've taken issue with this situation only do so because they hate North Carolina? Now THAT is The Carolina Way.

For the record, I don't like North Carolina, but those like me aren't the only folks laughing at you.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:49 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
94 - are you trying to us these classes were readily available to all students??? - are you sh--ing me??? - if you knew you could take courses where you were guaranteed an A, not have to go to class and only write a one page report you wouldn't have signed up for that??? - I absolutely would have!!! - what a joke ---
Was the class in the course catalog? As I stated in my response to the previous poster. If the class is available to everyone then it isn't preferential treatment. But speaking from experience, how many white students would have an interest in an African American studies class anyways?
The story that is getting lost here is how racially insensitive the whole thing is. What did UNC-CHeat say to the AA population (athlete or not)? That they didn't think they could pass the curriculum, and instead of working with them, they'd just make everything a rehash of a sixth grade English summer school class. [begin Froghorn Leghorn/Boss Hogg voice] "Now, we here at North Carolina don't believe you can hack it at our fine institution of higha learning', but we just love how you shoot the ball in the toonament. Here. This is a class that should be right up your alley. Culler...Ummm..African American studies. Now, don't worry about anything. Heck, you don't even havta show up to class. Just you submit one papah, and we'll take care of the rest. Just you worry about knockin' off Duke. How about a Fresca?"

In a day when everything down to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can somehow be taken as racist, it's puzzling that this is being either missed, or I argue, outright ignored. Why did it have to be African American studies? Why not Television of the 2010s, or Snapchat Tricks and Techniques.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:21 pm
Does it really matter??? - a major university just got away with "the largest academic fraud in the history of the NCAA" (not my words) - and anyone who can defend that is delusional ---
Are you assuming that I am defending it? I stated that the NCAA does not have the jurisdiction to impose penalties based on the information. The academic fraud may affect their accreditation which is a bigger concern for the school. They got probation for it and if you wanted to argue the leniency from that point, I wouldn't disagree with you.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:53 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:49 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
The story that is getting lost here is how racially insensitive the whole thing is. What did UNC-CHeat say to the AA population (athlete or not)? That they didn't think they could pass the curriculum, and instead of working with them, they'd just make everything a rehash of a sixth grade English summer school class. [begin Froghorn Leghorn/Boss Hogg voice] "Now, we here at North Carolina don't believe you can hack it at our fine institution of higha learning', but we just love how you shoot the ball in the toonament. Here. This is a class that should be right up your alley. Culler...Ummm..African American studies. Now, don't worry about anything. Heck, you don't even havta show up to class. Just you submit one papah, and we'll take care of the rest. Just you worry about knockin' off Duke. How about a Fresca?"

In a day when everything down to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can somehow be taken as racist, it's puzzling that this is being either missed, or I argue, outright ignored. Why did it have to be African American studies? Why not Television of the 2010s, or Snapchat Tricks and Techniques.
100% agree with your logic. I do find it interesting that the race argument was not made. It could be a perspective issue. Why complain about something that was getting minorities degrees from a good school?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:02 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:

If it happened at Michigan it'd be a bigger deal than at LSU as Michigan is seen as one of the 'public ivys,' like North Carolina. So yes, I'd have a different opinion.

Are you arguing that those who've taken issue with this situation only do so because they hate North Carolina? Now THAT is The Carolina Way.

For the record, I don't like North Carolina, but those like me aren't the only folks laughing at you.
If you choose to laugh at me for providing an opinion that contradicts yours then have at it. It is amazing to me that anyone that tries to speak about Carolina in any way that doesn't disparage them is a closet Hole fan and therefore does not have a legitimate opinion. I am genuinely sorry that you hatred for Carolina has rendered you blind to the fact that I never said "good for them for beating the rap", or that I wasn't defending them for the fraud. I merely said that the NCAA was working outside of their jurisdiction. And for your information, when I was at App, there were classes and professors that were known to be much easier than others.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:38 pm

You have to admit, UNC is slicker than snot on a door handle.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:43 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:02 pm
HeffnerIV wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

If you choose to laugh at me for providing an opinion that contradicts yours then have at it. It is amazing to me that anyone that tries to speak about Carolina in any way that doesn't disparage them is a closet Hole fan and therefore does not have a legitimate opinion. I am genuinely sorry that you hatred for Carolina has rendered you blind to the fact that I never said "good for them for beating the rap", or that I wasn't defending them for the fraud. I merely said that the NCAA was working outside of their jurisdiction. And for your information, when I was at App, there were classes and professors that were known to be much easier than others.
Forgive me for my wording. I didn't intend to point that at you personally.

Your point about hating North Carolina is understandable. However, you have to understand that as a sports fan in this state, especially a fan/alum of any other system school, they have given you no other choice than to pick a side through their arrogance and ethical indifference.

Bottom line, North Carolina embarrassed themselves and this state, and I would argue that the majority of its fanbase is more pleased that they got away with it than ashamed that they did it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:08 pm

No worries. But to your point about the fanbase. Yes I am sure that the fanbase is happy, but the fanbase isn't indicative of the alumni. A good bit of a flagships fanbase didn't go to school there nor could they. I'm sure the alumni are a bit chapped about it.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:28 pm

The Carolina Way wins out!!! Suck it up and get over it!!! Stinks but who said that life is fair...LMAO!!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:22 pm

I was at a function last night and two UNC fans were talking. One said, "It's a shame. $15 million spent on lawyer fees just to show they were doing things the right way all along." I almost lost it!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:04 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am
FWIW, the link wouldn't down load on my computer. I got a "Bad Gateway" response. Hope no one else got that response.
I put up the original post weeks ago. Possible the link got taken down since then???
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”