Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

SpeedkingATL
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 am

Just call them the Teflonheels rather than Tarheels.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am

Such a crock of crap. Those smug pricks in CH get to walk away hands clean.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 am

The NCAA just made itself even more irrelevant than it already was. There is no point in having the NCAA any longer. The big money schools can do what they want.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am

LOL! Anyone that thought this would work out otherwise was naïve.

Too much money and power by that bunch. I mean, besides big time (and I mean the biggest of the big) colleges, who could spend tens of millions of dollars on public relations firms and attorneys to fend this off. It's the "Carolina Way".
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:31 am

Low APR = Postseason Ban!
High APR in Fake Classes = ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:36 am

A few thoughts on this not surprising, yet still disappointing outcome. First, what a colossal waste of time, money and resources, the NCAA is a farce. Second, the NCAA has effectively given free reign to member institutions, who care more about wins and banners than education, to create and run fraudulent classes and keep athletes out of academic trouble so long as a few (very few) non-athlete students are enrolled and receiving the same "benefits." In reality no school has an excuse for having a player be ruled academically ineligible, or a team failing the APR standard. Both controls are invalidated by this ruling and public acknowledgement of a giant loop hole. Third, the NCAA is tax exempt based on education, should that exemption come before Congress, it should be revoked. The additional tax income generated by repealing the exemption should be directly invested in education and student loan relief.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 am

The NCAA made itself clear: if spend enough $ after the fact you may perpetrate the grandest academic fraud scandal in US history with impunity. This is indefensible no matter what color shirt you wear in March. Celebrate that your pretty little banners get to stay put, UNC fans, but the world knows you have no integrity.

They've undermined the very concept of the "student-athlete." The NCAA's primary role is to protect that concept. UNC robbed their students of a college education so they could profit from their free labor and the volume of hush money ruled the day. There is no longer any doubt that the NCAA is corrupt.

I'd like to see the other UNC System schools band together with some kind of statement denying UNC's status as North Carolina's "flagship" public University.

Pay attention to individual human reactions to this. It will tell you a lot about that person's values and whether they're a person of integrity.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 am

Look, all you have to do is come up with a fake curriculum, offer it to all students, and never report any instances of academic fraud to the ncaa. Simple as that!

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 am

Go to a make believe class, make an A - no problem for the NCAA.

Go to a real class during the summer at another school - a really big problem for the NCAA.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/coll ... 77026.html

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 am

To the best of anyone's knowledge, does App offer "no show" classes? If so, which ones are offered?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

They sold their academic reputation to preserve the athletic reputation.

All of college sports took another hit today.

The is the only outcome which everyone loses.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't believe that the University was willing to compromise their academic reputation in order to protect athletics. I would think SOMEONE within the UNC system would have something to say about that.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm

I hope our games with UNC are cancelled. :evil:

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't believe that the University was willing to compromise their academic reputation in order to protect athletics. I would think SOMEONE within the UNC system would have something to say about that.
Nope. In the words of one of the crony Board of Governors, "how will it affect recruiting this year"...LOL

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm

The NCAA just told everyone "as long as you offer 50% of XYZ to non-athletes you're good." We all know others will follow this example with the amount of money at stake.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm
I hope our games with UNC are cancelled. :evil:
Better be careful. The NCAA and the UNC controlled BOG can still hammer US..... I mean, don't we know our place? :shock:

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Not to make light of this process or the outcome but hasn’t the term “underwater basket weaving” been used for a long time to describe “easy” classes? Pretty sure it wasn’t started at UNC. Back many years ago when I was at App I was faced with having to take a science course. Lots of people suggested Geology as it was nicknamed “rocks for jocks”. There was also a course named Theory of Basketball. I didn’t take that class but did take “Introduction to Recreation and Leisure”- yep it was a class at App State. I’m App State to the bone and don’t hate any other school and the stuff that happened at UNC was shameful but to think similar practices don’t happen at nearly every other university is naive.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 pm
Not to make light of this process or the outcome but hasn’t the term “underwater basket weaving” been used for a long time to describe “easy” classes? Pretty sure it wasn’t started at UNC. Back many years ago when I was at App I was faced with having to take a science course. Lots of people suggested Geology as it was nicknamed “rocks for jocks”. There was also a course named Theory of Basketball. I didn’t take that class but did take “Introduction to Recreation and Leisure”- yep it was a class at App State. I’m App State to the bone and don’t hate any other school and the stuff that happened at UNC was shameful but to think similar practices don’t happen at nearly every other university is naive.
I don't think anyone is debating that there are easy classes offered at every university. These classes are offered to everyone. The breakdown comes when you have a professor's assistant (Debbie Crowder) who is known for lax grading and giving out high grades without regard to content (per Waintein report) and also having "counselors" suggesting to Crowder the grade an athlete need to remain eligible. That seems like, at a minimum, a failure to monitor and, at worst, a lack of institutional control. The non-athletes did not have someone lobbying on their behalf for a particular grade. To me, this is where it crosses over from academics, which the NCAA has no jurisdiction, to athletics.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm

It's actually embarrassing that we operate under the same university system (their system). It's a sad day for our state

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pm

UNC-CHeat just took the concept of a "rocks for jocks" class to another level of absurdity. Their "paper classes" never actually met in a class room or any forum (virtual or otherwise, although their indiscretions date prior to online classes). Adding further insult to injury the requirements for these "paper" classes were that the student write an actual paper to receive a grade. The investigation found conclusive evidence of CHeat athletes plagiarizing papers (in 1 notable case from an elementary student), having a paper written entirely on behalf of, and of grades being changed well after the course was completed. It is just not an accurate comparison what CHeat was doing.

I took "rocks for jocks" and that shit was hard. Hell I actually had to show up to lab and lecture and pay attention to barely squeeze a C and move on. I also know that "introduction to Recreation and Leisure" while it sounds lackadaisical, is a prerequisite for students looking to get into hotel/resort management, vacation planning, and other reasonably lucrative careers. What you are comparing is not at all the same as the level to which UNC-CHeat sank just to win some games.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”