Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

97grad
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

Unread post by 97grad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm
It's actually embarrassing that we operate under the same university system (their system). It's a sad day for our state
I think the sad day already happened...I mean, if the NCAA brought the hammer down does that diminish what they did?

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 pm

"On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. “Let me have those front seats” said the driver. She didn’t get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. “I’m going to have you arrested,” said the driver. “You may do that,” Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them “why do you all push us around?” The police officer replied and said “I don’t know, but the law is the law and you’re under arrest."

The above is a 146 word term paper for one of UNC's legitimate (not fake) classes that earned the athlete and A-. Now, I took some easy classes at App, but that crap would have earned me an F.

This was an easy class, not one of their non-meeting classes or professor forged grades classes or secretary grading paper classes....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 pm

It's a great day to be a tar heel! Go heels! Go 'neers!

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 am
The NCAA made itself clear: if spend enough $ after the fact you may perpetrate the grandest academic fraud scandal in US history with impunity. This is indefensible no matter what color shirt you wear in March. Celebrate that your pretty little banners get to stay put, UNC fans, but the world knows you have no integrity.

They've undermined the very concept of the "student-athlete." The NCAA's primary role is to protect that concept. UNC robbed their students of a college education so they could profit from their free labor and the volume of hush money ruled the day. There is no longer any doubt that the NCAA is corrupt.

I'd like to see the other UNC System schools band together with some kind of statement denying UNC's status as North Carolina's "flagship" public University.

Pay attention to individual human reactions to this. It will tell you a lot about that person's values and whether they're a person of integrity.
Lol. And what school do you propose be the state's flagship? UNC is the country's oldest public university. It has a rich history and is responsible for educating some of the State's most influential leaders.

Look, I'm not saying the University doesn't have its flaws. This academic scandal was horrendous. But it's over (thank god). And UNC has certainly suffered in the court of public perception. The university is heading in the right direction towards rebuilding that perception and that is important. Having a strong flagship university in NC is important for the well-being of, not just our university system, but of our State as a whole. Unfortunately this isn't something our GA or the BOG understand all of the time.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Appdoggy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm
Gonzo wrote:
The NCAA made itself clear: if spend enough $ after the fact you may perpetrate the grandest academic fraud scandal in US history with impunity. This is indefensible no matter what color shirt you wear in March. Celebrate that your pretty little banners get to stay put, UNC fans, but the world knows you have no integrity.

They've undermined the very concept of the "student-athlete." The NCAA's primary role is to protect that concept. UNC robbed their students of a college education so they could profit from their free labor and the volume of hush money ruled the day. There is no longer any doubt that the NCAA is corrupt.

I'd like to see the other UNC System schools band together with some kind of statement denying UNC's status as North Carolina's "flagship" public University.

Pay attention to individual human reactions to this. It will tell you a lot about that person's values and whether they're a person of integrity.
Lol. And what school do you propose be the state's flagship? UNC is the country's oldest public university. It has a rich history and is responsible for educating some of the State's most influential leaders.

Look, I'm not saying the University doesn't have its flaws. This academic scandal was horrendous. But it's over (thank god). And UNC has certainly suffered in the court of public perception. The university is heading in the right direction towards rebuilding that perception and that is important. Having a strong flagship university in NC is important for the well-being of, not just our university system, but of our State as a whole. Unfortunately this isn't something our GA or the BOG understand all of the time.
Why is having a flagship important? What does that even mean?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Appdoggy wrote:
This academic scandal was horrendous. But it's over (thank god). And UNC has certainly suffered in the court of public perception. The university is heading in the right direction towards rebuilding that perception and that is important.
Sorry tarheel fans, but for those that don't wear baby blue glasses it's going to take a generation or more to rebuild that reputation. This is far from "over" if you look at it that way.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:13 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:04 pm
To further that point. How has App benefited from being associated with them other than them blocking new degrees and allocating a disproportionate amount of resources to themselves?

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
Appdoggy wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Flagships are usually the oldest public, land-grant institutions in each state. They boast the highest research profile of any universities in the state and offer graduate and doctoral programs, as well as law and medical schools. Pretty much they are the face of the public university system of a state.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Appdoggy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm
HeffnerIV wrote:
Appdoggy wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Flagships are usually the oldest public, land-grant institutions in each state. They boast the highest research profile of any universities in the state and offer graduate and doctoral programs, as well as law and medical schools. Pretty much they are the face of the public university system of a state.
Yes, they are the face of our system, hence my embarrassment for the system and state.

Why do all of those resources/programs need to be concentrated in one place? If necessary, what justifies our (I mean App, btw) existence?

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:13 pm
HeffnerIV wrote:
To further that point. How has App benefited from being associated with them other than them blocking new degrees and allocating a disproportionate amount of resources to themselves?
Uh, I don't think the university leadership has any hand in blocking new degrees or funds from App... Those types of decisions are made by the BOG and the General Assembly. And, yes, I realize that the Board of Governors has more UNC grads than App grads. But it's not the absolute majority that many think it is.

Many of the BOG reps, including the UNC grads, are conservatives and have been putting their political agenda ahead of their university, and the entire system anyways. Of late they have been hurting UNC more than any state university. For instance the BOG recently took away the ability of the UNC Center for Civil Rights to litigate cases, not to mention the GA has been stripping funding for all public universities, including most recently a $500k cut to UNC law.

I'm not saying that UNC hasn't received preferential treatment from the BOG in the past, but that is the case in every state in the union. If you keep the flagship healthy, you'll keep State's best and the brightest students in the State, which benefits the State. For example, Blandford B. Dougherty, App's co-founder, was educated at UNC. If he chose to attend school elsewhere, who knows if he would've returned to establish our beloved university. Just sayin..
Last edited by Appdoggy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm

The only good thing out of this is the salty State fans.

I don’t think many expected a different outcome. There is too much money to be made for the NCAA. Which makes their perceived ineptitude here comical. My biggest question has always been how much $$$ was spent in legal defense for this that could have been spent on the other UNC system member institutions?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm

There is no longer any reason for any athlete to go to any class. As long as a few lucky non-athletes are selected to be in those "classes" then there is nothing the NCAA can do.

It disturbs me that the so-called flagship for the system that granted my degree chose to sell its academic integrity for a couple of banners, but the outcome was not a surprise. $$$$$ rules the day and the NCAA would rather have their share.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Not a fan of the liberal UNC, but did you all major in drama?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm
The NCAA just told everyone "as long as you offer 50% of XYZ to non-athletes you're good." We all know others will follow this example with the amount of money at stake.
The thing about this - and I have heard this directly from those who "took" the fake courses - is that it wasn't generally known by the other students at large - players told friends and relatives about the classes ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Appdoggy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
Uh, I don't think the university leadership has any hand in blocking new degrees or funds from App... Those types of decisions are made by the BOG and the General Assembly. And, yes, I realize that the Board of Governors has more UNC grads than App grads. But it's not the absolute majority that many think it is.

I'm not saying that UNC hasn't received preferential treatment from the BOG in the past, but that is the case in every state in the union. If you keep the flagship healthy, you'll keep State's best and the brightest students in the State, which benefits the State. For example, Blandford B. Dougherty, App's co-founder, was educated at UNC. If he chose to attend school elsewhere, who knows if he would've returned to establish our beloved university. Just sayin..
Preferential treatment might be an understatement. The NC BOG, which has been dominated by UNC grads, has been holding back NC universities for decades!

Read about ECU (includes a reference to App, A&T, WCU amongst others) trying to gain university status. There's a reason lots of people from across the state dislike UNC.

http://bonesvillemedia.com/the-battle-f ... tells-all/

Interesting read. Below are some excerpts:

“Back in those days, you had Duke and North Carolina. Wake Forest was not a university. But we thought East Carolina was ready. ... We introduced that bill and we passed it in the Senate, but when it came over to the House of Representatives – you know it had to pass both houses – it got killed because Governor Dan Moore was a UNC man. His blood was blue and white, you know."

“And we still had to fight Watts Hill and that crowd – Watts Hill, Jr., who was the chairman of the Board of Higher Education – the very richest people in the state. UNC people, you know – Carolina Inn and all those things. Well, we passed it in the Senate but when it got over to the House, they killed it.”

Sanford) said your problem is your base of support is not broad enough,” Morgan said. “He said the people in the Piedmont and western North Carolina really don’t have much reason to support East Carolina.

“He said, ‘I think if you introduce a bill making East Carolina, Western Carolina and Appalachian regional universities – that concept is coming whether we want it or not – you will have a broader base. The representatives from western North Carolina will be supporting you.”

“Every bill has to pass three readings,” Morgan said. “When you introduce it, that’s the first reading. Then they have to vote on it again – that’s the second reading. And then the third reading – you vote on it again if it passes the second. Well, we passed it over there in the Senate and then it went to the House.”

Morgan soon found out there were some powerful interests plotting against the bill’s ultimate passage.

“I came home from Raleigh one night,” he recalled. “We all stayed in the old Sir Walter Hotel and when I got back about midnight, there was a car sitting in front of the Sir Walter Hotel. There was a black lady, Dr. Helen Edmonds, who was a professor at North Carolina Central and really a renowned expert in international affairs.

“I can’t remember the black gentleman’s name, but they were two of the three people who were running North Carolina Central in the absence of a president, while they were searching for a president.”

Morgan was about to learn how devious, intense and nasty the efforts had become to suppress East Carolina’s bid to become a university.

“Dr. Edmonds said to me, she said, ‘I promised myself last night that I wouldn’t put my head on a pillow again until I told you what they’re trying to do to you. They had a meeting in the Governor’s office with Governor Moore, with Watts Hill, Jr., and the President of the university, Dr. Friday’ – (aside) we’re good friends (Morgan and Friday) now after all these years.”

“She said they had a meeting on how to defeat East Carolina’s efforts to be a university. They said to the Governor that they should send out a message to all of the black colleges – the Governor and Watts Hill, Jr., as chairman of the board of higher education to all of the black colleges – North Carolina Central, Elizabeth City State, A&T in Greensboro, etc., directing them to ask that they put the black colleges in it, too.

“See, we’d already passed it in the Senate. She went on to say, ‘At North Carolina Central, we refuse to do it because we knew they were not interested in us in improving our education. They were just interested in using us to kill East Carolina’s efforts,’ because – you know – black feeling was still pretty strong in ‘67.

“The premise was Senator Morgan will never agree to accept black institutions as part of the regional university concept and that will kill East Carolina’s efforts to be a university and it will get rid of Morgan as a politician, too.”

"We decided the best thing to do was do nothing right then because we’d already passed it in the Senate,” Morgan said. “Well, the next day when it was in the House on the second reading, Jim Exum, who was the representative from Greensboro who was later Chief Justice of the (state) Supreme Court, and Mr. Phillips, who was a representative there, introduced an amendment to add A&T – the other black colleges wouldn’t do it – to the regional university concept.

debate and the House adjourned about 3 o’clock.”

Morgan was waiting outside to talk with Exum.

“I said, ‘Now Jim, before we go out here to this meeting, let’s count our votes now. Let’s make sure we’ve got enough votes to pass this on the third reading tomorrow.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to vote for it tomorrow. I’m going to vote against it tomorrow.’ I said, ‘Jim.’ He said, ‘I added that because I knew you wouldn’t accept it and that’s the way to kill the bill.’
“I said, ‘Jim, you are a racist SOB.’ I don’t usually use that phrase – that’s the only time I used it that I know of. I said, ‘I knew what you were doing all the time.’ I said, ‘I had that information. You did it thinking you were going to destroy East Carolina’s bill.’ But I said, ‘Let me tell you something. A&T is going to be a university tomorrow – whether you want it or not – because we’ve got the votes to pass it.’ “
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm

moonshine wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 pm
Appdoggy wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:

Preferential treatment might be an understatement. The NC BOG, which has been dominated by UNC grads, has been holding back NC universities for decades!

Read about ECU (includes a reference to App, A&T, WCU amongst others) trying to gain university status. There's a reason lots of people from across the state dislike UNC.

“Back in those days, you had Duke and North Carolina. Wake Forest was not a university. But we thought East Carolina was ready. ... We introduced that bill and we passed it in the Senate, but when it came over to the House of Representatives – you know it had to pass both houses – it got killed because Governor Dan Moore was a UNC man. His blood was blue and white, you know."

“And we still had to fight Watts Hill and that crowd – Watts Hill, Jr., who was the chairman of the Board of Higher Education – the very richest people in the state. UNC people, you know – Carolina Inn and all those things. Well, we passed it in the Senate but when it got over to the House, they killed it.”

Sanford) said your problem is your base of support is not broad enough,” Morgan said. “He said the people in the Piedmont and western North Carolina really don’t have much reason to support East Carolina.

“He said, ‘I think if you introduce a bill making East Carolina, Western Carolina and Appalachian regional universities – that concept is coming whether we want it or not – you will have a broader base. The representatives from western North Carolina will be supporting you.”

“Every bill has to pass three readings,” Morgan said. “When you introduce it, that’s the first reading. Then they have to vote on it again – that’s the second reading. And then the third reading – you vote on it again if it passes the second. Well, we passed it over there in the Senate and then it went to the House.”

Morgan soon found out there were some powerful interests plotting against the bill’s ultimate passage.

“I came home from Raleigh one night,” he recalled. “We all stayed in the old Sir Walter Hotel and when I got back about midnight, there was a car sitting in front of the Sir Walter Hotel. There was a black lady, Dr. Helen Edmonds, who was a professor at North Carolina Central and really a renowned expert in international affairs.

“I can’t remember the black gentleman’s name, but they were two of the three people who were running North Carolina Central in the absence of a president, while they were searching for a president.”

Morgan was about to learn how devious, intense and nasty the efforts had become to suppress East Carolina’s bid to become a university.

“Dr. Edmonds said to me, she said, ‘I promised myself last night that I wouldn’t put my head on a pillow again until I told you what they’re trying to do to you. They had a meeting in the Governor’s office with Governor Moore, with Watts Hill, Jr., and the President of the university, Dr. Friday’ – (aside) we’re good friends (Morgan and Friday) now after all these years.”

“She said they had a meeting on how to defeat East Carolina’s efforts to be a university. They said to the Governor that they should send out a message to all of the black colleges – the Governor and Watts Hill, Jr., as chairman of the board of higher education to all of the black colleges – North Carolina Central, Elizabeth City State, A&T in Greensboro, etc., directing them to ask that they put the black colleges in it, too.

“See, we’d already passed it in the Senate. She went on to say, ‘At North Carolina Central, we refuse to do it because we knew they were not interested in us in improving our education. They were just interested in using us to kill East Carolina’s efforts,’ because – you know – black feeling was still pretty strong in ‘67.

“The premise was Senator Morgan will never agree to accept black institutions as part of the regional university concept and that will kill East Carolina’s efforts to be a university and it will get rid of Morgan as a politician, too.”

"We decided the best thing to do was do nothing right then because we’d already passed it in the Senate,” Morgan said. “Well, the next day when it was in the House on the second reading, Jim Exum, who was the representative from Greensboro who was later Chief Justice of the (state) Supreme Court, and Mr. Phillips, who was a representative there, introduced an amendment to add A&T – the other black colleges wouldn’t do it – to the regional university concept.

“I said, ‘Now Jim, before we go out here to this meeting, let’s count our votes now. Let’s make sure we’ve got enough votes to pass this on the third reading tomorrow.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to vote for it tomorrow. I’m going to vote against it tomorrow.’ I said, ‘Jim.’ He said, ‘I added that because I knew you wouldn’t accept it and that’s the way to kill the bill.’
“I said, ‘Jim, you are a racist SOB.’ I don’t usually use that phrase – that’s the only time I used it that I know of. I said, ‘I knew what you were doing all the time.’ I said, ‘I had that information. You did it thinking you were going to destroy East Carolina’s bill.’ But I said, ‘Let me tell you something. A&T is going to be a university tomorrow – whether you want it or not – because we’ve got the votes to pass it.’ “
I mean do we really think ECU was a good idea?? I'm siding with the BOG on that one. That place blows.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Appdoggy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm
moonshine wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 pm
Appdoggy wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:

I mean do we really think ECU was a good idea?? I'm siding with the BOG on that one. That place blows.
Sitting here reading this on the campus of ECU just finishing up the Friday evening session of a state-wide physics meeting. This gave me a chuckle.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Doggy how can you defend what the BOG which was controlled by tarheels for years did to App and other universities?

Why doesn't App have any doctoral programs other than teaching? It isn't because we haven't tried obtaining them.

You can pull for them that's your right, but don't spread that baby blue propaganda that they are doing what is best for the state here they have always looked after themselves first and foremost.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:30 am

If I understand it correctly, the holes defended themselves by arguing the NCAA is not the governing body that accredits their curriculum. The NCAA knew they were not going to win, and this drama played out for a lot longer than it should have. Ultimately the holes won. End of story.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 am

They should be proud. They don’t deny the decades of cheating, they got off because of a technicality....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”