Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia State Stadium Update

MDaniels84
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia State Stadium Update

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 am

I, too, was glad to see Charlie depart. Spoke to him only a couple of times and he never came across as having good people skills to me.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:29 am

AppDawg wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Instead of having 60,000 empty seats GSU will only have about 40,000 empties this year. Everyone will still know they're playing in a hand me down.
That's a bit of an over exaggerating. Their stadium will have 23,000 when finished.
There will be approx 25k in the lower and middle bowl... and 10's of thousands more in the upper deck that will be unused... as CC said to the AJC, "until they are needed". :lol:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-t ... zZVNBQe9I/
Not to mention all the seats that they left in place behind the new bleachers, which are now unusable but still in place, like a deserted playground.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 am

kiddbrewer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Instead of having 60,000 empty seats GSU will only have about 40,000 empties this year. Everyone will still know they're playing in a hand me down.
That's a bit of an over exaggerating. Their stadium will have 23,000 when finished.
The 23,000 figure is only the seating they are making available for purchase. The upper deck and all of the old RF seats are still there and will be empty. Turner Field had a capacity around 55,000 which should be similar now after construction. They may not all be usable, but they will be visible.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:58 am

AtlAppMan wrote:I don't get the vengeance from this crowd either. It isn't beautiful with the mismatch baseball and new stands but given they had nothing before, and they actually got their own stadium, it's nice that somebody is using an old stadium instead of leveling it. Kudos to Ga State and the city for working it out.
No vengeance from me as I think it was a good way to save a nice facility, but it's still going to look like an old baseball stadium. I was simply pointing out that it will remain a big, nearly empty stadium unless they get a regional P5 to play there.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 am

bcoach wrote:
NewApp wrote:
moonshine wrote:I know most folks were glad to see Charlie head to Atlanta but you gotta hand it to Cobb, his job timing is impeccable. He shows up to App just in time to see the football team win 3 straight titles, oversees the athletics center and helps to lead App into the Sun Belt. Shortly after he arrives at GaSt. they go dancing in the NCAA's and now he gets to place another feather in his cap with the purchase and renovation of Turner Field.
Who was glad to see Charlie Cobb leave? I don't recall reading that anyone was rejoicing his departure.
I was. Still am.
*raises hand as well*

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:17 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
The 23,000 figure is only the seating they are making available for purchase. The upper deck and all of the old RF seats are still there and will be empty. Turner Field had a capacity around 55,000 which should be similar now after construction. They may not all be usable, but they will be visible.
I see your point, but my understanding is the upper deck and lower bowl behind the newly constructed bleachers will come down during phase 2.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Of course it's a step up from an empty 60000 seat stadium, but I'm really not sure how much of an upgrade it is. IMO, aesthetically it's a pretty wretched look and I could be wrong but I don't think phase 1, 2, or 10 is going to make any significant difference in that department. Also, from what I can remember from visiting Turner as a kid - that ain't a great place to be after a night game.

Good for them for getting their own stadium but they still have a long way to go. And full disclosure I think KBS still has a ways to go as well before I'll be truly proud to call that our stadium.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Yosef10 wrote:Of course it's a step up from an empty 60000 seat stadium, but I'm really not sure how much of an upgrade it is. IMO, aesthetically it's a pretty wretched look and I could be wrong but I don't think phase 1, 2, or 10 is going to make any significant difference in that department. Also, from what I can remember from visiting Turner as a kid - that ain't a great place to be after a night game.

Good for them for getting their own stadium but they still have a long way to go. And full disclosure I think KBS still has a ways to go as well before I'll be truly proud to call that our stadium.
I want to see the track gone yesterday, and there are things that need to be done, but I'm damn proud to call KBS our stadium.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:35 pm

This is a pretty classy thread. I didn't realize the animosity ran so deep with Georgia state. It's nice to see us looking like pretentious douches making fun of their stadium.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Not to mention all the seats that they left in place behind the new bleachers, which are now unusable but still in place, like a deserted playground.
My understanding is Phase II of their plan is to remove the right field line and right centerfield stands. It'll wind up looking lop-sided like James Madison but that awkwardness will be removed.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Cobb did a lot of common sense things to grow attendance and donations then caught lightening in a bottle with the Michigan win. He followed one of the worst ADs in the NCAA at App and then followed one that was even worse st GA St. He's made good moves at GA St as well.

He did make one of the worst hires in NCAA history in Capel and his baseball hire was almost as bad.
Charlie made several worthwhile contributions while at App but he also made some well-known missteps including some of a "self-inflicted damage" nature that would have cost him his job had he stayed a few more weeks. He was backed into a corner when the safety-valve in Atlanta opened just in time to give him a "chute" down I-85 and a second-chance as an AD. His time was up at App and he knew it. The issues surrounding Jerry, Darcie, his "standoffishness around alumni" and his infamous, final "staff reorganization" paved the way to his hasty departure.

Charlie managed to land on his feet and we got Doug Gillin! All is well in the App State Athletic Dept. Oh yeah, is it ever!!!!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by asu66 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by asu66 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 pm

NewApp wrote:Geez. A stadium built 20 years ago is considered old?

" Turner Field, which was built way back in 1997 (they didn't even have electricity then if memory serves), was then passed along to Georgia State for football. Georgia State had been playing in the Georgia Dome, which opened even earlier than Turner Field in 1992, a stadium that is now being replaced by Mercedes-Benz Stadium."

Sarcasm meter broken? :lol:

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:57 pm

kiddbrewer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
I see your point, but my understanding is the upper deck and lower bowl behind the newly constructed bleachers will come down during phase 2.
I think this is the closest rendering I've found of the final plan...this was from January so I'm assuming it's the plan they're still going with, and yeah, they take about half of the right field grandstand out. It'll look weird but give them kudos for using an already existing stadium which, according to a lot of people, still had a lot of life in it despite being just 20 years old when the Braves headed north. I don't think it'll be filled to capacity, but you never know...maybe they'll schedule a game with GT two miles up the road one day or something.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ocument/p1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”