Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia State Stadium Update

ASUchipman

Georgia State Stadium Update

Unread post by ASUchipman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 am

Looks like GSU stadium has progressed well
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -football/

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia State Stadium Update

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 am

I know most folks were glad to see Charlie head to Atlanta but you gotta hand it to Cobb, his job timing is impeccable. He shows up to App just in time to see the football team win 3 straight titles, oversees the athletics center and helps to lead App into the Sun Belt. Shortly after he arrives at GaSt. they go dancing in the NCAA's and now he gets to place another feather in his cap with the purchase and renovation of Turner Field.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

It's a baseball stadium with a few rows of bleachers added onto one side, and it will have tens of thousands of empty seats every time they play. Not jealous.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 am

Agree with East. Massive number of empty seats. Going to look bad but on the bright side most everyone will be able to hear signals being called.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 am

moonshine wrote:I know most folks were glad to see Charlie head to Atlanta but you gotta hand it to Cobb, his job timing is impeccable. He shows up to App just in time to see the football team win 3 straight titles, oversees the athletics center and helps to lead App into the Sun Belt. Shortly after he arrives at GaSt. they go dancing in the NCAA's and now he gets to place another feather in his cap with the purchase and renovation of Turner Field.
Accomplishments don't change the fact he's a dick.

He did a lot for App while here, but having met him a few times not the greatest of interactions.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

They are pumping up the idea daily on social media as they should. If they continue to post pictures after week two that would be impressive based upon where the interest level has been since inception.

Anyone have the picture of the cash drop at halftime a few years ago?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Some strange sightlines there but it's not bad.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:36 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:Accomplishments don't change the fact he's a dick.

He did a lot for App while here, but having met him a few times not the greatest of interactions.
Don't misunderstand, I wasn't patting Charlie on the back, simply pointing out that his timing on new jobs has worked out tremendously in his favor. While he had some accomplishments here, some of his coaching hires were (Charles Barkley voice) turrible.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm

moonshine wrote:
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:Accomplishments don't change the fact he's a dick.

Don't misunderstand, I wasn't patting Charlie on the back, simply pointing out that his timing on new jobs has worked out tremendously in his favor. While he had some accomplishments here, some of his coaching hires were (Charles Barkley voice) turrible.
Buzz and Capel weren't good hires? :lol:
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:14 pm

What exactly were his accomplishments. He had NOTHING to do with the championships and stadium up grades plans were in the works before his arrival. His greatest accomplishments in life were timing his moves to LOOK like he did something. Plus the fact he was an ... well you know if you ever talked to him.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Instead of having 60,000 empty seats GSU will only have about 40,000 empties this year. Everyone will still know they're playing in a hand me down.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Cobb did a lot of common sense things to grow attendance and donations then caught lightening in a bottle with the Michigan win. He followed one of the worst ADs in the NCAA at App and then followed one that was even worse st GA St. He's made good moves at GA St as well.

He did make one of the worst hires in NCAA history in Capel and his baseball hire was almost as bad.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 pm

JTApps1 wrote:Instead of having 60,000 empty seats GSU will only have about 40,000 empties this year. Everyone will still know they're playing in a hand me down.
That's a bit of an over exaggerating. Their stadium will have 23,000 when finished.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Considering where they were playing, I think it's a big improvement. Not sure why there is such ridicule.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:18 pm

I don't get the vengeance from this crowd either. It isn't beautiful with the mismatch baseball and new stands but given they had nothing before, and they actually got their own stadium, it's nice that somebody is using an old stadium instead of leveling it. Kudos to Ga State and the city for working it out.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:24 pm

kiddbrewer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Instead of having 60,000 empty seats GSU will only have about 40,000 empties this year. Everyone will still know they're playing in a hand me down.
That's a bit of an over exaggerating. Their stadium will have 23,000 when finished.
There will be approx 25k in the lower and middle bowl... and 10's of thousands more in the upper deck that will be unused... as CC said to the AJC, "until they are needed". :lol:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-t ... zZVNBQe9I/

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:18 am

moonshine wrote:I know most folks were glad to see Charlie head to Atlanta but you gotta hand it to Cobb, his job timing is impeccable. He shows up to App just in time to see the football team win 3 straight titles, oversees the athletics center and helps to lead App into the Sun Belt. Shortly after he arrives at GaSt. they go dancing in the NCAA's and now he gets to place another feather in his cap with the purchase and renovation of Turner Field.
Who was glad to see Charlie Cobb leave? I don't recall reading that anyone was rejoicing his departure.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 am

Geez. A stadium built 20 years ago is considered old?

" Turner Field, which was built way back in 1997 (they didn't even have electricity then if memory serves), was then passed along to Georgia State for football. Georgia State had been playing in the Georgia Dome, which opened even earlier than Turner Field in 1992, a stadium that is now being replaced by Mercedes-Benz Stadium."
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:43 am

NewApp wrote:
Who was glad to see Charlie Cobb leave? I don't recall reading that anyone was rejoicing his departure.
I was. Still am.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”