Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA B-Ball Scandal

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

NCAA B-Ball Scandal

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:54 am

Will we see the same old limp wrist from the NCAA?

"The FBI arrested 10 people on charges of fraud and corruption in men's college basketball on Tuesday.

The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, USC, and Oklahoma State had been arrested along with managers, financial advisers, and representatives of the international sportswear company Adidas."

http://www.businessinsider.com/college- ... sts-2017-9

"Federal prosecutors have announced charges of fraud and corruption against 10 people involved in college basketball, including assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC.

The coaches named in court documents are Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Tony Bland. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... corruption

"The sealed FBI complaint against Gatto and others also includes a reference to a "public research university located in Kentucky," and sources told ESPN that it's the University of Louisville."

Also sounds like the U might be caught up in this as well. :o
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rick83

Re: NCAA B-Ball Scandal

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am

moonshine wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:54 am
Will we see the same old limp wrist from the NCAA?

"The FBI arrested 10 people on charges of fraud and corruption in men's college basketball on Tuesday.

The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, USC, and Oklahoma State had been arrested along with managers, financial advisers, and representatives of the international sportswear company Adidas."

http://www.businessinsider.com/college- ... sts-2017-9

"Federal prosecutors have announced charges of fraud and corruption against 10 people involved in college basketball, including assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC.

The coaches named in court documents are Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Tony Bland. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances."

"The sealed FBI complaint against Gatto and others also includes a reference to a "public research university located in Kentucky," and sources told ESPN that it's the University of Louisville."

Also sounds like the U might be caught up in this as well. :o
Wow...just Wow.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 am

More interested in where the federal investigation goes than NCAA response, for the time being. If they decide to subpoena shoe company emails/phone records, no telling how many more schools could be roped in.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:53 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 am
More interested in where the federal investigation goes than NCAA response, for the time being. If they decide to subpoena shoe company emails/phone records, no telling how many more schools could be roped in.
Since the Feds are involved, I'd imagine those arrested will be seeing some jail time. To avoid prison they'll want to plea down which will require them to sing like a canary. I'd say it's a good possibility we will see more coaches/programs "roped in" as the investigation is on-going. Allegations against those connected with UL are on wiretaps and video recordings.

See the Pitino quote below with regards to recruit Brian Bowen who received $100k for signing with UL.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino said at the time. "I had an AAU director call me and say, 'Would you be interested in a basketball player?' I said ... 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' But [Bowen and his people] had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotels, pay for their meals. So we spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40-some-odd years of coaching, this is the luckiest I've been."

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm

The FBI doesn't play around. These are federal charges. And it's just the beginning me thinks.

Luckily, App gets credit for time served for any charges due to Jason Capel being the head coach for 4 years.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Will the NCAA drop the hammer on the Cards? Will the ACC boot Louisville? The Cards have done nothing but bring scandal since joining.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:21 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 pm
Will the NCAA drop the hammer on the Cards? Will the ACC boot Louisville? The Cards have done nothing but bring scandal since joining.
Does the ACC care, except for $? I guess we will see, but I bet the ACC does just enough to say they did something, but not really do anything.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:27 pm

The big difference is this is the Federal DOJ not the NCAA in Carolina's situation. The Feds are going after money trail where as NCAA was primarily dealing with grade manipulation with a "member institution".

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 pm

moonshine wrote:
As long as Baylor still has a home in a major conference then I don't see the pressure being high on anyone else to boot a team for regular ol' money-and-strippers stuff.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:37 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm
The FBI doesn't play around. These are federal charges. And it's just the beginning me thinks.

Luckily, App gets credit for time served for any charges due to Jason Capel being the head coach for 4 years.
That should get us off the hook for eternity.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:27 pm
The big difference is this is the Federal DOJ not the NCAA in Carolina's situation. The Feds are going after money trail where as NCAA was primarily dealing with grade manipulation with a "member institution".
The FBI also have way more resources.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:00 pm

How much did NCSU and/or KU pay D'tae?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:21 pm
moonshine wrote:
Does the ACC care, except for $? I guess we will see, but I bet the ACC does just enough to say they did something, but not really do anything.
NO - is the short answer --- Only $$$ (very similar to what APP went thru a couple of years ago with "market presence") - I still strongly dislike the ACC for snubbing West Virginia - they would have been perfect and them and Pitt are like junior version of Duke-UNC - hated rivals, perfect traveling partner as well - And it really crawled my ass when some people started pointing to WVU's academics --- UVA, DUKE AND UNC ARE THE ONLY ACC SCHOOLS TO PRODUCE MORE RHODES SCHOLARS THAN WEST "BY GOD" VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY - WVU comes in at #30 and is #10 for public institutions ---
***as you can tell this is a sore spot with me
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/col ... rship.html
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 pm
NO - is the short answer --- Only $$$ (very similar to what APP went thru a couple of years ago with "market presence") - I still strongly dislike the ACC for snubbing West Virginia - they would have been perfect and them and Pitt are like junior version of Duke-UNC - hated rivals, perfect traveling partner as well - And it really crawled my ass when some people started pointing to WVU's academics --- UVA, DUKE AND UNC ARE THE ONLY ACC SCHOOLS TO PRODUCE MORE RHODES SCHOLARS THAN WEST "BY GOD" VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY - WVU comes in at #30 and is #10 for public institutions ---
***as you can tell this is a sore spot with me
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/col ... rship.html
I agree, thought they'd be a great fit, especially after taking Pitt. I guess the ACC thought WVU was the institution with all the fake-no show AFAM classes.

Maybe they can boot Louisville and bring in WVU and UCONN to get to 16 since Notre Dame doesn't want to be a full member.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Pitino is GONE:

Interim University President Gregory Postel said Wednesday that both Pitino and Jurich have been placed on “unpaid administrative leave” pending further review. But sources tell Yahoo Sports that both men interpreted their meetings today with university officials as a de facto termination and do not expect to be retained at the resolution of the situation.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Apparently the FBI is raiding Nike offices as well.

Don't screw with the feds, just ask FIFA.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 pm

My guess is that there are some of the names that will surface that will no longer be coaching.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:18 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 pm
My guess is that there are some of the names that will surface that will no longer be coaching.
Depending if any of these assistant coaches flip, there's a good possibility that some of those names that will surface will no longer be walking around freely.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Look at what already came out yesterday around the Adidas schools. Now consider that every year most of the top recruits come down to a battle between two or three particular Nike schools (one of which, Arizona, has already been implicated).

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Look at what already came out yesterday around the Adidas schools. Now consider that every year most of the top recruits come down to a battle between two or three particular Nike schools (one of which, Arizona, has already been implicated).
This is probably going to be big and either devolve into massive reforms or (I dread) a resurrection of the "pay players" argument.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”