Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UT Fiasco

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

UT Fiasco

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Tennessee always seems to find themselves in these positions.

I do not get how the AD decided on Schiano and then how you let a fan base revolt and overrule your decision. The fan base is just mad that the job isn't as attractive as it once was.

App91

Re: UT Fiasco

Unread post by App91 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Now that is the definition of a dumpster fire. AD browbeat off of his hire. Some of the tweets from those close to that program were downright unbelievable.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Everyone involved looks terrible.

Schiano should never be a head coach again based on his NFL stint alone, thinking MRSA was no big deal, rigging a captain vote, spying on the locker room, etc. The Penn State stuff, if true, is morally reprehensible on top of that.

The AD didn't do his homework and rushed into a hornets nest.

Tennessee fans would have forgiven all of that if Schiano was a proven winner. They hated the hire and had a hell of an exit door to open.

Vol fans didn't protest when Butch whined that a rape case was being used against them in recruiting, not to mention that he allegedly covered one up. Why didn't Vol fans revolt? Because Butch was gonna get them an SEC East Title.

At the end, in the coaching fraternity, the job is now toxic.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm honestly not familiar enough with Schiano's role in the Penn State scandal to have an opinion on whether it should be a disqualifier. I've always felt that he'd be a good hire for the right college program.

Regardless, hard to understand how you'd make that hire without thoroughly vetting him and being ready to answer for the PSU controversy.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm
I'm honestly not familiar enough with Schiano's role in the Penn State scandal to have an opinion on whether it should be a disqualifier. I've always felt that he'd be a good hire for the right college program.

Regardless, hard to understand how you'd make that hire without thoroughly vetting him and being ready to answer for the PSU controversy.
He was named in the court documents as someone who allegedly witnessed Sandusky doing something, but never doing anything about it

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 am

According to all the talking heads on SiriusXM, the fans had nothing to do with this reversal. Regardless, it is a very bad look for UT. I doubt Currie survives the day as AD, and this job is now even less desirable than before.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am

Schiano, aside from all the reasons above, was not a good fit. He is a defensive guy and defensive guys don’t work out in the SEC. Hell, why would anyone want to coach in the SEC. Look at A&M. Sumlin was the 2nd most winningest coach in school history and A&M chose to pay him 10 million not to coach them. Pretty good deal for him. Not only does he have to be paid the full amount in 60 days, but that amount isn’t offset by future earnings.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am
Schiano, aside from all the reasons above, was not a good fit. He is a defensive guy and defensive guys don’t work out in the SEC. Hell, why would anyone want to coach in the SEC. Look at A&M. Sumlin was the 2nd most winningest coach in school history and A&M chose to pay him 10 million not to coach them. Pretty good deal for him. Not only does he have to be paid the full amount in 60 days, but that amount isn’t offset by future earnings.
I'm assuming the "defensive guys don’t work out in the SEC." line is a joke. Pretty sure the robot that is Nick Saban is a defensive "guy" and it's worked out well for him. I'll agree with the point that schiano is not a good fit for that program, but I think it's because his personality is too similar to clown they just canned. Also speaking of Sumlin (I know it won't happen), he would be an amazing hire for UT.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:32 am

Serious question: When these large (or not so large) state universities fire coaches, who pays the multi million dollar buyouts? Please tell me it's not the taxpayers.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:01 am

Fans and local media in TN had everything to do with it because they did not like the hire. It worked but it could cost them dearly in future. Those in coaching will not take kindly to it. Just ask ECU.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 am

App91 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 pm
Now that is the definition of a dumpster fire. AD browbeat off of his hire. Some of the tweets from those close to that program were downright unbelievable.
Yeah, I'd say "dumpster fire" pretty much sums it up--especially when you figure in that ass-kicking they took from Vanderbilt.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am
AppSt94 wrote:
I'm assuming the "defensive guys don’t work out in the SEC." line is a joke. Pretty sure the robot that is Nick Saban is a defensive "guy" and it's worked out well for him. I'll agree with the point that schiano is not a good fit for that program, but I think it's because his personality is too similar to clown they just canned. Also speaking of Sumlin (I know it won't happen), he would be an amazing hire for UT.
Saban is the exception to the rule. Can you name another defensive guy that worked out? This year there were four defensive minded coaches in the SEC. Aside from Saban, you had Bielema (fired), Stoops at Kentucky and Mason at Venderrbilt. I'm not saying that defensive coaches can't work out. But they rarely do. I am saying that the SEC fanbase wants points on the board.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I could have sworn Kirby Smart was a defensive coordinator before he took over at Georgia.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 pm
I could have sworn Kirby Smart was a defensive coordinator before he took over at Georgia.
Yes I believe that you are correct. The article that came up must have been from last year. Still the jury is out on him. Second year but we will see how his offense fairs next year without Chubb and Michele.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm
NavyApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Saban is the exception to the rule. Can you name another defensive guy that worked out? This year there were four defensive minded coaches in the SEC. Aside from Saban, you had Bielema (fired), Stoops at Kentucky and Mason at Venderrbilt. I'm not saying that defensive coaches can't work out. But they rarely do. I am saying that the SEC fanbase wants points on the board.
Yeah guys like Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Les Miles, and Tommy Tuberville never have any kind of success in this league.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:07 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yeah guys like Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Les Miles, and Tommy Tuberville never have any kind of success in this league.
Miles was an Offensive Coach. Tuberville was a defensive guy so kudos for stepping up to the challenge and naming ONE. As I stated in a previous post. Smart is in year two with offensive talent that he inherited so let's pump the breaks on his success. And before you point out the obvious, yes Fromm is his guy.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 pm

To be honest nobody but Saban has had consistent success. The rest are on the hot seat or just starting.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:39 pm

I think there's a preference for offensive coaches to be HC across college football, not just in the SEC. Maybe it's because they're more exciting, maybe it's the belief that scheme plays a bigger role in offense while defense is more about Jimmys and Joes. Whatever, it's generally true in the SEC but no more so than anywhere else I think.

Whoever the coaches have been, the SEC has been probably the most defense-oriented league in the country over the past decade or so on the field.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:25 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Alright so my apologies, I wasn't trying start an argument. Listen in the SEC right now there is only one coach of consequence and we all know it is Saban. The problem is all the other programs in SEC apparently think they deserve to have either a Saban-esque coach or a Saban beater, but that doesn't exist. All these programs demand National championships even though they haven't been national contenders in multiple decades(looking at you UT). The SEC will remain great based on the talent of the region alone, but the coaching has been suspect for years now. Again sorry to ruffle feathers.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 pm

You didn't ruffle feathers and didn't approach this as an argument. I was just pointing out what you stated above, in that the SEC wants an offense that can beat Saban and anything short of that is unacceptable. A defensive minded coach isn't going to beat Saban by outscoring him so to speak.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”