Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UT Fiasco

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: UT Fiasco

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm

The whole coach thing is ridiculous anyway. These guys are getting Monopoly money in attempts to appease delusional fan bases like UT, A&M and even Arizona St. They all expect to go undefeated and to win the NC. Everybody can’t go undefeated and everyone can’t win 10 games per year. Saban has built a machine that just keeps rolling because they are always on television and put lots of guys in the pros. The whole “school has tons of money so they should be great” argument is weak as well. How much money does Arkansas have? They never do anything. Arizona and Arizona state allegedly have deep pockets- nothing either. Tennessee fans are truly fanatics and fully believe they are just a great coach away from Alabama. Delusional

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Nick Sabana broke the SEC. Literally every other team in that conference has now changed coaches because they couldn't beat him.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm

You could argue almost every school has fired a very successful coach because they could not beat Saban. Hell Auburn was willing to fire Malzahn if they lost the other day.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Hard to beat a West BY GOD Virginian!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

I know people like to act like these SEC schools are so crazy for firing their coaches, but how many of these changes have really been so unfair? Richt leaving UGA (and he wasn’t technically fired)? Miles at LSU?

Fact is in the late 2000s you had Saban AND Meyer in the SEC, yet many of these programs were much stronger than they are today. The league isn’t nearly as deep as it was a few years back, and you can’t pin all that on Saban. (Who, in case anyone hasn’t noticed, won’t be coaching in the conference title game this weekend.)

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 pm

If UT thinks that they're going to be returning to national title contender status anytime soon they're delusional.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:57 am

"(Who, in case anyone hasn’t noticed, won’t be coaching in the conference title game this weekend.)"

Well I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE --- :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 am

Once again I wanta know: Who pays these multi-million dollar buyouts at state universities? Taxpayers?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 am
Once again I wanta know: Who pays these multi-million dollar buyouts at state universities? Taxpayers?
Well heeled alumni and boosters.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 am

No doubt that Saban has changed the landscape in the SEC and in college football as a whole, but Richt (Georgia) wasn't let go for not beating Saban. They rarely played. Richt's problem was he couldn't even make it to the game on a regular basis. It's hard to argue that in recent years he had consistently under-performed given the quality of his roster. There was always at least one or two "no show" games (usually Florida for some un-explainable reason).

Also, I don't think you can just dismiss Kirby Smart. Yes, he is new but it's hard to deny the turn around that he executed. The OL he inherited was horrible and he is actually way ahead of schedule in terms of performance. Time will tell.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am

It’s truly amazing what the levels of expectations are at different programs. We have come to expect a high level of success here at App- sometimes unreasonable but yet expected by many unreasonable fans. Except for a short dip we are at a fairly sustainable level of 9 or so wins per year and we seem to be entrenched in the Sunbelt contender slot. Unless the bottom absolutely falls out we should be able to stay right about where we are. We came within a block of beating Wake and a play or so from beating Mass.

That being said are we “content” to remain in this fairly consistent level or are we beginning to approach delusional- demanding that we knock off the Georgia’s of the world or else! Obviously there are crazy fan bases out there who have lofty sometimes unrealistic expectations of their programs. In the case of Texas A&M they actually will pay a guy $10M to not coach! And the guy can and probably will get a nice gig next season and can keep all of the money! Insanity my friends.

It’s a shame that the playoff has ruined some of the joy of college football. It should be enough to simply play and enjoy games, battle for conference championships and then go on to a nice bowl.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am
Schiano, aside from all the reasons above, was not a good fit. He is a defensive guy and defensive guys don’t work out in the SEC. Hell, why would anyone want to coach in the SEC. Look at A&M. Sumlin was the 2nd most winningest coach in school history and A&M chose to pay him 10 million not to coach them. Pretty good deal for him. Not only does he have to be paid the full amount in 60 days, but that amount isn’t offset by future earnings.
Wonder if they would pay me not to coach? :D
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

So am I the only one a little worried that Satt might be on their shortlist? Given the proximity to Boone, I also feel like it is one of the few places he may actually jump to if the money was great (which I'm sure it would be).

I've seen his name flying around all over twitter.
YNWA

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am
So am I the only one a little worried that Satt might be on their shortlist? Given the proximity to Boone, I also feel like it is one of the few places he may actually jump to if the money was great (which I'm sure it would be).

I must admit that the thought did cross my mind ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am
It’s truly amazing what the levels of expectations are at different programs. We have come to expect a high level of success here at App- sometimes unreasonable but yet expected by many unreasonable fans. Except for a short dip we are at a fairly sustainable level of 9 or so wins per year and we seem to be entrenched in the Sunbelt contender slot. Unless the bottom absolutely falls out we should be able to stay right about where we are. We came within a block of beating Wake and a play or so from beating Mass.

That being said are we “content” to remain in this fairly consistent level or are we beginning to approach delusional- demanding that we knock off the Georgia’s of the world or else! Obviously there are crazy fan bases out there who have lofty sometimes unrealistic expectations of their programs. In the case of Texas A&M they actually will pay a guy $10M to not coach! And the guy can and probably will get a nice gig next season and can keep all of the money! Insanity my friends.

It’s a shame that the playoff has ruined some of the joy of college football. It should be enough to simply play and enjoy games, battle for conference championships and then go on to a nice bowl.

Good post until your last paragraph - I'm guessing that you didn't mean that literally, because we have seen the absolute insanity of not deciding the champion on the field....
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

Tennessee? Probably not. But there are of course plenty of other openings out there.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:05 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:

Probably not realistic to expect we should beat national title contenders, but also not unrealistic to think we can get better than where we are now.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

Good post until your last paragraph - I'm guessing that you didn't mean that literally, because we have seen the absolute insanity of not deciding the champion on the field....

Yeah I don't see what the playoff has to do with it. It's not like nobody wanted to win the national championship before 2014. I know college football was once considered more of a regional sport, but those days are decades past. Everybody wants to compete nationally now. Which is the same as every other sport anyway.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:00 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

Key word is some

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm

I have said it before. I don’t see SS even pondering leaving for the next four years. Money can move mountains but it isn’t everything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”