Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

We need this type of facility -will our new facility fill some of these roles?

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

We need this type of facility -will our new facility fill some of these roles?

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

http://footballscoop.com/news/video-min ... e-complex/

Looks awesome. Will our new building encompass some of these things?

ComebackShack

Re: We need this type of facility -will our new facility fill some of these roles?

Unread post by ComebackShack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Lol. We have been trying to get our track removed for like 30 years. No way are we gonna get a "life complex"

Saint3333

Re: We need this type of facility -will our new facility fill some of these roles?

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

When people say they want to pay student athletes, they need to be reminded of all the perks and benefits they receive that the average student does not.

The lifestyle they live while in college will be unattainable at any point in their lives post graduation for 95+% of them.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm
When people say they want to pay student athletes, they need to be reminded of all the perks and benefits they receive that the average student does not.

The lifestyle they live while in college will be unattainable at any point in their lives post graduation for 95+% of them.
But they only build facilities like this because they don’t have to pay the players...and then the universities cry broke after they build said facilities. Take a poll and i bet you 99.999% of the players will take say a $30 million facility and some cash in their pockets versus having a $166 million facility.

Maybe that lifestyle post grad would be a little more attainable if they were actually paid for the billions in revenue they generate

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 pm

That is a pretty sweet complex. Back in the fall, ESPN had something on it and it is top notch. Let the battle of the facilities continue...

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

What do you think that they are doing as student athletes; sitting around drinking protein shakes and eating bon bons as though they are at a destination spa resort?

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

It looks like it is the season for upgrades.

http://footballscoop.com/news/photos-mi ... ncredible/

The Big10 really is spending the $$$$

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 pm

meh Meatchicken, meh Gophers.

Northwestern is doing the mic drop on the lake.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm
Lol. We have been trying to get our track removed for like 30 years. No way are we gonna get a "life complex"
Please. No.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 am

We need more folks to start buying football season tickets and giving more to the Yosef Club to fully fund all scholarships first.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

What do you think that they are doing as student athletes; sitting around drinking protein shakes and eating bon bons as though they are at a destination spa resort?
Thanks for bringing hyperbole into the discussion, great add.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

But they only build facilities like this because they don’t have to pay the players...and then the universities cry broke after they build said facilities. Take a poll and i bet you 99.999% of the players will take say a $30 million facility and some cash in their pockets versus having a $166 million facility.

Maybe that lifestyle post grad would be a little more attainable if they were actually paid for the billions in revenue they generate
They do get some cash in their pocket, the COA was added two years ago. $100k in education costs, a few thousand dollars of spending money each semester, excellent nutrition program, access to world class facilities to train, first cut at all classes and times, tutors. And that is for 300+ athletes at 200+ programs.

I would kill to have my daughters be talented enough to receive such poor treatment 10 years from now.

If we should pay athletes the profit (not revenue, big difference here) they generate, should we ask the athletes in non-revenue sports and athletes are mid-majors to pay a portion of the benefits they receive as they aren't profitable?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

They do get some cash in their pocket, the COA was added two years ago. $100k in education costs, a few thousand dollars of spending money each semester, excellent nutrition program, access to world class facilities to train, first cut at all classes and times, tutors. And that is for 300+ athletes at 200+ programs.

I would kill to have my daughters be talented enough to receive such poor treatment 10 years from now.

If we should pay athletes the profit (not revenue, big difference here) they generate, should we ask the athletes in non-revenue sports and athletes are mid-majors to pay a portion of the benefits they receive as they aren't profitable?
Excellent post and rebuttal, Saints.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

No. But, compared to the rest of the students, yes.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Its funny, in this debate, no one ever factors the $$ of the "free" ( put parenthesis because i do believe a SA puts in work) education. The debate should start with the difference between the average wage earned between at non college education and a degree over the average life span. That is what a SA is "earning" in the equation.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 am

All college students have opportunities available that they will not have in their life after graduation. Workout facilities, study and travel abroad, tutors and advisors, medical and psychological services, etc. Sure it is a better deal for those on athletic and academic scholarship (they must produce to keep). College life is good, take advantage.
Bring Your A Game!

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:11 pm

MN, MI and NW's facilities look awesome and I'm sure they are advantages or at least equalizers in their recruiting efforts. I love football, hate the track and would like to see our stadium evolve into somewhat of a horseshoe with 30K plus seating...I know, I know we need more season ticket holders and more butts in seats generally. I think if we ramped up our marketing efforts to non-Appalachian graduates, ie locals and regionals we could see bigger numbers. I have 4 friends that went to other Universities but have season tickets to App State football so I know it's possible. Still, I have to say, if we have $175 million in hand I hope we spend it on improving the University overall and on increasing the number of scholarships, etc. Appalachian State is after all a higher education institution first and foremost.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

The money they bring far outweighs the money they receive. That’s indisputable. All the fluff is cool, though. College athletics is literally the only industry in the country where the talent doesn’t earn its market value in wages but yippee they get a piece of paper after their education is compromised by design. Walter Byers himself, the man who legitimized this current system, said this setup is a sham. I’ll never know why some folks choose to defend it so whole heartedly.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

The money they bring far outweighs the money they receive. That’s indisputable. All the fluff is cool, though. College athletics is literally the only industry in the country where the talent doesn’t earn its market value in wages but yippee they get a piece of paper after their education is compromised by design. Walter Byers himself, the man who legitimized this current system, said this setup is a sham. I’ll never know why some folks choose to defend it so whole heartedly.
And thats the problem right there. There are some of us to whom that still means something, alot actually. And then, well those where its not.
I know you are all for equitable, so what about the other SA's who don't generate $$ or the FB programs outside of the P5 generate a lot less money. Does that go out the window when you are getting yours?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Only approximately two programs of about 40 schools out the 20 programs at 200+ schools make a profit, should we pay all student athletes or only those that make a profit? No student athlete at App would get paid in the latter.

You may also not understand the difference between revenue and profit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”