EZU fires athletics director

HighlandsApp
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 269 times

EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 pm

https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... -115985015

New AD’s will try again at EZU as well as Charlotte.....



BUTCH1991
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Point
Has thanked: 461 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Kind of ridiculous to give a man a 5 year extension and then can him within a year.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4017
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 833 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 am

Wow. Not BOTH of our fellow G5 teams in NC are overhauling their athletic departments to try to keep up with App State.


NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am
Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that!

Stonewall
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am

I can see them talking to DG.



User avatar
HkyMtneer
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hickory, NC
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 52 times
Contact:

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am
I can see them talking to DG.
Shut your mouth!



Stonewall
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am
Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am
I can see them talking to DG.
Shut your mouth!
I know , know... it's just reality.



User avatar
HkyMtneer
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hickory, NC
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 52 times
Contact:

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:17 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 am
HkyMtneer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am
Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am
I can see them talking to DG.
Shut your mouth!
I know , know... it's just reality.
Maybe they could talk Judy-Judy-Judy Rose out of retirement, instead?



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am

I don't understand how they can afford to fire Compher after giving him a 5 year extension, especially considering they have been running in the red. IIRC, there was a report that each athletic program had to cut their budget by 10% last summer. They also added women's lacrosse so as to not lose 2 men's programs to the tune of $500k/year. Throw in COA and the scholarship shortfall, where is the money coming from?

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/11/1 ... n-AAC.html

"...the lack of institutional support leaves a substantial disparity between ECU’s $44 million athletics budget and that of its competitors. Additionally, revenues at ECU have fallen and expenses have increased, Niswander said.

New expenses include a $3.9 million move to the American from Conference USA. Along with that came the university’s commitment to paying full cost of attendance for all its student-athletes at $1 million per year and adding a women’s lacrosse team at $500,000 annually. A scholarship shortfall due largely to changes in the status of student-athletes from out of state also created a shortfall of about $2.5 million."


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

HighlandsApp
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 am

moonshine wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am
I don't understand how they can afford to fire Compher after giving him a 5 year extension, especially considering they have been running in the red. IIRC, there was a report that each athletic program had to cut their budget by 10% last summer. They also added women's lacrosse so as to not lose 2 men's programs to the tune of $500k/year. Throw in COA and the scholarship shortfall, where is the money coming from?

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/11/1 ... n-AAC.html

"...the lack of institutional support leaves a substantial disparity between ECU’s $44 million athletics budget and that of its competitors. Additionally, revenues at ECU have fallen and expenses have increased, Niswander said.

New expenses include a $3.9 million move to the American from Conference USA. Along with that came the university’s commitment to paying full cost of attendance for all its student-athletes at $1 million per year and adding a women’s lacrosse team at $500,000 annually. A scholarship shortfall due largely to changes in the status of student-athletes from out of state also created a shortfall of about $2.5 million."
I suspect some wealthy alumni ponied up to get rid of him. The football program is a mess. I don’t understand why he would have been given such a generous extension a year ago.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3288
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 406 times
Been thanked: 1033 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:51 am

Maybe more to the story?



mike87
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Most of their alumni went to EZU. I think that explains their behavior.



ericsaid
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 pm
Kind of ridiculous to give a man a 5 year extension and then can him within a year.
He had to go. There are three things that happened under Compher that is a problem:

1. A rift between the AD and McNeil is what caused McNeil to be terminated which was extremely unpopular with the general fans, alumni, and others associated with ECU; McNeil is an Alum and was treated poorly

2. A sizable chunk of ECU's fan base pledged to not donate as much, if at all, unless Coach Montogery was let go. Instead he was retained.

3. ECU athletics, outside of baseball, have not been competitive in the AAC



ericsaid
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: EZU fires athletics director

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 am
moonshine wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am
I don't understand how they can afford to fire Compher after giving him a 5 year extension, especially considering they have been running in the red. IIRC, there was a report that each athletic program had to cut their budget by 10% last summer. They also added women's lacrosse so as to not lose 2 men's programs to the tune of $500k/year. Throw in COA and the scholarship shortfall, where is the money coming from?

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/11/1 ... n-AAC.html

"...the lack of institutional support leaves a substantial disparity between ECU’s $44 million athletics budget and that of its competitors. Additionally, revenues at ECU have fallen and expenses have increased, Niswander said.

New expenses include a $3.9 million move to the American from Conference USA. Along with that came the university’s commitment to paying full cost of attendance for all its student-athletes at $1 million per year and adding a women’s lacrosse team at $500,000 annually. A scholarship shortfall due largely to changes in the status of student-athletes from out of state also created a shortfall of about $2.5 million."
I suspect some wealthy alumni ponied up to get rid of him. The football program is a mess. I don’t understand why he would have been given such a generous extension a year ago.
Much of the pool for donations dried up for 2018 and beyond when Coach Montgomery was retained following what was likely the worst ECU football season in 20 years. This happening after firing Ruffin, who consistently competed with local ACC schools, demolishing UNC and NC State in the same season.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 17 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests