• Birthdays
    • HendoYosef (53)

Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 527 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am

"We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently."

Examples please.



Yosef84
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 450 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am
"We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently."

Examples please.
Really? How bout scrolling back up a few posts to the one I referenced. I see you post on here enough to know you've read the complaints and whining about how we haven't beaten a P5 team in 10 years. That's the example. Expecting App to beat Georgia, LSU, Michigan (again), Virginia Tech (as an FCS team when VT was rolling), on any regular basis is unrealistic.

Yes, I expect App to play our best and compete and I believe we've done that. Yes, I've been disappointed a couple of times but the reality is that we are heavy underdogs when we play.

Frankly, I was much more disappointed by our mid season collapse against UMass and ULM last year than by any P5 loss, but that's part of the game. We recovered and finished strong and I'm proud of what was accomplished.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3541
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 1182 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 am

So who is winning this explosion of typing indignation? This “conversation” occurs every couple of years and I swear people cut and paste the same old comments. Just a suggestion but I’d just let the 2 school fandom thing roll off like water off a 🦆 back. We’ve had this chip on our shoulder for far too long. Silence to comments like this speaks volumes.



CoachRob
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm
I'm still trying to figure out who all these UNC haters pulled for growing up, dook or the wolfies? The amount of venom and hate from some of these posters is beyond ridiculous and makes us as App fans look just as immature and pathetic. It's 1 thing to pull against the in-state P5s, but some of the reasons listed in this thread just take it way beyond sports. Life is too short to be getting this worked up over something, let's be realistic, in the real world, is so so very small.

Until we start going head to head with UNC, or NCState or any other P5 consistently, or seriously competing with them every year with recruits. I'm not going to get worked up over these schools like I would GS or stAte ... this has become ridiculous.
Want to have the conversation about putting away childish things that we had on the Sun Belt board? You know, the one that led to you admitting that you don’t care that CHeat has screwed App over for professional degree offerings, because you already have your degree?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845068-page-4.html
Since you apparently have nothing better to do, sure ... As an App football fan, I'm so so concerned how UNC, or other ACC schools have kept us from winning 3 FCS Championships, numorius Socon titles, two SunBelt titles, and 3 bowl wins ...

Here's my stance. With work and family getting in the way, you know, life. I pretty much just have time to keep my fandom on the gridiron or on the court. I'm more concerned about who App plays on a regular basis and who they recruit against on a regular basis to keep them from football success. I just don't have either the luxury or the time to worry myself to discus and hatred over anything else that just really doesn't matter. I have more problems in this difficult world to worry about then things you suggest. Sorry, but it really isn't that important.
You don’t care about the academic offerings of App and how they can be made to make her stronger???

I truly am ashamed your diploma looks like mine.
I do care, but not to the point of it deciding who I pull against on the Athletic field. At least not to get me worked up to the point of hate.
If you can convince me that a particular major is keeping App from being successful on the football field, then sure, I'll care a little bit more. But I've got more things to worry myself over then that.
I'm proud of what App is as a university. Part of App's (any college for that matter) uniqueness is the majors they offer/or don't offer. It would be kinda boring if every university would be the same. Seems like some of you are jealous in that you want App to be MORE LIKE UNC, Duke, or State ... if that's the case, no thinks. I LOVE App the way it is. Just my two cents. Go Apps!



bcoach
Posts: 3154
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 644 times
Been thanked: 633 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm
Gonzo: always the guy to get too worked up on a message board and go personal. You didn’t disappoint this time around.

You guys seriously can’t handle the idea of someone not absolutely hating Carolina on this board? If he didn’t go to Carolina I’d get it but the man will have a degree. I hate Carolina as much as anyone but a bunch of you guys do have some serious little brother syndrome. It’s about as bad as East Carolina’s.
If you walk in my house and crap on the floor, I'm going to react. This is no different.

This little brother thing is ridiculous. I don't put any school anywhere above App. We are nobody's little brother and it's time more of us act that way.
I am so glad someone finally came out and said it.



CoachRob
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.



User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 527 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am
"We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently."

Examples please.
Really? How bout scrolling back up a few posts to the one I referenced. I see you post on here enough to know you've read the complaints and whining about how we haven't beaten a P5 team in 10 years. That's the example. Expecting App to beat Georgia, LSU, Michigan (again), Virginia Tech (as an FCS team when VT was rolling), on any regular basis is unrealistic.

Yes, I expect App to play our best and compete and I believe we've done that. Yes, I've been disappointed a couple of times but the reality is that we are heavy underdogs when we play.

Frankly, I was much more disappointed by our mid season collapse against UMass and ULM last year than by any P5 loss, but that's part of the game. We recovered and finished strong and I'm proud of what was accomplished.

Take a deep breath 84. When you stated "ridiculous expectations," I simply asked for examples for clarification. This thread has delved into a number of variables (too many) , mainly relating to another in-state school . Yes, I've heard the vague "haven't won a P5 game in 10 years" comments and agree that beating upper echelon P5s on the road is unlikely, even for most P5s, (yet I'll always believe we have a chance in each individual game). Phrases like "some folks" and "ridiculous expectations" led me to ask for examples, as I don't recall anyone specifically posting the expectations of beating all, or any of the teams you have now mentioned.



Yosef84
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 450 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.
I actually agree with the disproportionate UNC hate issue. I do have a resentment, however, that they have suffered ZERO consequences from the largest academic/athletic fraud in history and continue to thump their chests with impunity.



BUTCH1991
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Point
Has thanked: 511 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:46 am

Just think, only 5 more months of this until we get to football season! Joy, joy.



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 am

UNC first fans deflecting to Duke, NC State, Wake, yet I've seen no Duke, NC State or Wake fans on here talking about how great "we" are and acting condescending towards their own alumni in favor of their Walmart team selection.



AppDawg
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1073 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am
AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm
I'm still trying to figure out who all these UNC haters pulled for growing up, dook or the wolfies? The amount of venom and hate from some of these posters is beyond ridiculous and makes us as App fans look just as immature and pathetic. It's 1 thing to pull against the in-state P5s, but some of the reasons listed in this thread just take it way beyond sports. Life is too short to be getting this worked up over something, let's be realistic, in the real world, is so so very small.

Until we start going head to head with UNC, or NCState or any other P5 consistently, or seriously competing with them every year with recruits. I'm not going to get worked up over these schools like I would GS or stAte ... this has become ridiculous.
Want to have the conversation about putting away childish things that we had on the Sun Belt board? You know, the one that led to you admitting that you don’t care that CHeat has screwed App over for professional degree offerings, because you already have your degree?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845068-page-4.html
Since you apparently have nothing better to do, sure ... As an App football fan, I'm so so concerned how UNC, or other ACC schools have kept us from winning 3 FCS Championships, numorius Socon titles, two SunBelt titles, and 3 bowl wins ...

Here's my stance. With work and family getting in the way, you know, life. I pretty much just have time to keep my fandom on the gridiron or on the court. I'm more concerned about who App plays on a regular basis and who they recruit against on a regular basis to keep them from football success. I just don't have either the luxury or the time to worry myself to discus and hatred over anything else that just really doesn't matter. I have more problems in this difficult world to worry about then things you suggest. Sorry, but it really isn't that important.
You don’t care about the academic offerings of App and how they can be made to make her stronger???

I truly am ashamed your diploma looks like mine.
I do care, but not to the point of it deciding who I pull against on the Athletic field. At least not to get me worked up to the point of hate.
If you can convince me that a particular major is keeping App from being successful on the football field, then sure, I'll care a little bit more. But I've got more things to worry myself over then that.
I'm proud of what App is as a university. Part of App's (any college for that matter) uniqueness is the majors they offer/or don't offer. It would be kinda boring if every university would be the same. Seems like some of you are jealous in that you want App to be MORE LIKE UNC, Duke, or State ... if that's the case, no thinks. I LOVE App the way it is. Just my two cents. Go Apps!
The simple fact the UNC board has not allowed App to have a professional school. Whether it be Medicine or Law, is an example. Professional schools graduate higher earning alumni that have the ability to back to the university in higher amounts (fully fund scholarships??). Chancellor Peacock fought this fight and found a way around it for our current nursing program by partnering with Wake Forest. That program is becoming a force to be reckoned with. However, we are still a long way away from the bling bling doctorate programs.

Additionally, the UNC board relegating us as a Masters University significantly impacts out ability to move up futher in the G5 chain (or the pipe-dream P5 offer). For instance, the AAC is comprised of National Research institutions. Not regional Masters universities. If we are happy and satisfied in the SunBelt, so be it. Not a big deal. But if we want to continue to grow, academic standard does play a big role.



NoLongerLurking
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:46 am

You guys are letting the terrorists win.



NewApp
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.
Ummm. NC State has played App many times in football.

As to UNC, watch what happens should we have a powerhouse and a lot of seniors the year we are scheduled to play them in Boone. It will either be on a neutral site, Chapel Hill, or a buy out.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

NewApp
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am
AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm


Want to have the conversation about putting away childish things that we had on the Sun Belt board? You know, the one that led to you admitting that you don’t care that CHeat has screwed App over for professional degree offerings, because you already have your degree?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845068-page-4.html
Since you apparently have nothing better to do, sure ... As an App football fan, I'm so so concerned how UNC, or other ACC schools have kept us from winning 3 FCS Championships, numorius Socon titles, two SunBelt titles, and 3 bowl wins ...

Here's my stance. With work and family getting in the way, you know, life. I pretty much just have time to keep my fandom on the gridiron or on the court. I'm more concerned about who App plays on a regular basis and who they recruit against on a regular basis to keep them from football success. I just don't have either the luxury or the time to worry myself to discus and hatred over anything else that just really doesn't matter. I have more problems in this difficult world to worry about then things you suggest. Sorry, but it really isn't that important.
You don’t care about the academic offerings of App and how they can be made to make her stronger???

I truly am ashamed your diploma looks like mine.
I do care, but not to the point of it deciding who I pull against on the Athletic field. At least not to get me worked up to the point of hate.
If you can convince me that a particular major is keeping App from being successful on the football field, then sure, I'll care a little bit more. But I've got more things to worry myself over then that.
I'm proud of what App is as a university. Part of App's (any college for that matter) uniqueness is the majors they offer/or don't offer. It would be kinda boring if every university would be the same. Seems like some of you are jealous in that you want App to be MORE LIKE UNC, Duke, or State ... if that's the case, no thinks. I LOVE App the way it is. Just my two cents. Go Apps!
The simple fact the UNC board has not allowed App to have a professional school. Whether it be Medicine or Law, is an example. Professional schools graduate higher earning alumni that have the ability to back to the university in higher amounts (fully fund scholarships??). Chancellor Peacock fought this fight and found a way around it for our current nursing program by partnering with Wake Forest. That program is becoming a force to be reckoned with. However, we are still a long way away from the bling bling doctorate programs.

Additionally, the UNC board relegating us as a Masters University significantly impacts out ability to move up futher in the G5 chain (or the pipe-dream P5 offer). For instance, the AAC is comprised of National Research institutions. Not regional Masters universities. If we are happy and satisfied in the SunBelt, so be it. Not a big deal. But if we want to continue to grow, academic standard does play a big role.
Exactly, dawg.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

The Rock
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 206 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:03 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.
I actually agree with the disproportionate UNC hate issue. I do have a resentment, however, that they have suffered ZERO consequences from the largest academic/athletic fraud in history and continue to thump their chests with impunity.

Umm, don’t you think that might have something to do with the “disproportionate” hate?
The sheer arrogance of the school and it’s fans who tout their national championships while completely dismissing the fact they were won with academically ineligible players is a large reason as to why I dislike them so much



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3541
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 1182 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:12 am

Wayyy too much time rehashing old arguments............



CoachRob
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:03 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.
I actually agree with the disproportionate UNC hate issue. I do have a resentment, however, that they have suffered ZERO consequences from the largest academic/athletic fraud in history and continue to thump their chests with impunity.

Umm, don’t you think that might have something to do with the “disproportionate” hate?
The sheer arrogance of the school and it’s fans who tout their national championships while completely dismissing the fact they were won with academically ineligible players is a large reason as to why I dislike them so much
Apparently you've never met any duke fans and the, "I go to duke, I'm just better then you" attitude. The "know it all" yankee tone that comes from the school (larger % of student body is out of state, shocking I know) is past arrogant and beyond annoying. State fans think they are the "football power" of the state, which other then competing on a higher level, their accomplishments are nowhere close to ours ... btw, ncstate isn't spotless either with the Dennis Smith Jr problem either, however, it's really up to your point of view. If you hate Carolina, of course they are all cheaters and only reason they've won any game is cause their dumb players didn't go to any classes. If you favor Carolina, the easy class given had ZERO impact with UNC's ability of court success and isn't a issue. If you favor State, Dennis Smith Jr is a victim of circumstance with the corrupt agents and his nor State's fault. If you hate State, They pay all their players to come play at state. Amazing how personal feelings cause ridiculous reactions ... ON BOTH SIDES! But again, what goes on at State, Carolina, or duke SHOULDN'T be that big of an issue to App fans. But I digress.



Yosef84
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 450 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:10 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:03 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.
I actually agree with the disproportionate UNC hate issue. I do have a resentment, however, that they have suffered ZERO consequences from the largest academic/athletic fraud in history and continue to thump their chests with impunity.

Umm, don’t you think that might have something to do with the “disproportionate” hate?
The sheer arrogance of the school and it’s fans who tout their national championships while completely dismissing the fact they were won with academically ineligible players is a large reason as to why I dislike them so much
The "disproportionate hate" existed long before this scandal, so this embarrassment increased and reinforced the hate, but didn't create it.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25193
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 941 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

"So when it comes to athletics, acidemics has such a small impact for me on who I root for as a college sports fan. I’m more interested in community, overall athletic program, coaches, style of play, team character, and history ... Degrees? Could care less now that I have 1."

This soooooooooooo speaks for itself! This is all we need to know about this dude.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

BallantyneApp
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:00 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am
AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm
I'm still trying to figure out who all these UNC haters pulled for growing up, dook or the wolfies? The amount of venom and hate from some of these posters is beyond ridiculous and makes us as App fans look just as immature and pathetic. It's 1 thing to pull against the in-state P5s, but some of the reasons listed in this thread just take it way beyond sports. Life is too short to be getting this worked up over something, let's be realistic, in the real world, is so so very small.

Until we start going head to head with UNC, or NCState or any other P5 consistently, or seriously competing with them every year with recruits. I'm not going to get worked up over these schools like I would GS or stAte ... this has become ridiculous.
Want to have the conversation about putting away childish things that we had on the Sun Belt board? You know, the one that led to you admitting that you don’t care that CHeat has screwed App over for professional degree offerings, because you already have your degree?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845068-page-4.html
Since you apparently have nothing better to do, sure ... As an App football fan, I'm so so concerned how UNC, or other ACC schools have kept us from winning 3 FCS Championships, numorius Socon titles, two SunBelt titles, and 3 bowl wins ...

Here's my stance. With work and family getting in the way, you know, life. I pretty much just have time to keep my fandom on the gridiron or on the court. I'm more concerned about who App plays on a regular basis and who they recruit against on a regular basis to keep them from football success. I just don't have either the luxury or the time to worry myself to discus and hatred over anything else that just really doesn't matter. I have more problems in this difficult world to worry about then things you suggest. Sorry, but it really isn't that important.
You don’t care about the academic offerings of App and how they can be made to make her stronger???

I truly am ashamed your diploma looks like mine.
I do care, but not to the point of it deciding who I pull against on the Athletic field. At least not to get me worked up to the point of hate.
If you can convince me that a particular major is keeping App from being successful on the football field, then sure, I'll care a little bit more. But I've got more things to worry myself over then that.
I'm proud of what App is as a university. Part of App's (any college for that matter) uniqueness is the majors they offer/or don't offer. It would be kinda boring if every university would be the same. Seems like some of you are jealous in that you want App to be MORE LIKE UNC, Duke, or State ... if that's the case, no thinks. I LOVE App the way it is. Just my two cents. Go Apps!
Everyone's time and resources are their own prerogative to spend as they see fit. I don't want to come across as judgemental, but I'm a little confused by your position, Coach Rob. Are you suggesting that college athletics and college academics exist in seperate vacuums?

I disagree, and I have often heard a quote attributed to Chancellor Peacock, that "athletics are the front porch of a university". He understood this concept better than most, but UNC-CH obviously does as well. Why else would you risk your accreditation and general respect of your academic peers to perpetuate the largest academic fraud in college athletics? Athletics is a primary mechanism (of many) that UNC-CH uses to maintain the status quo. The only way for App to grow in either arena, is by upsetting the status quo maintained by UNC-CH.

If you are strictly a casual football fan, thank you for supporting us in your own way. However we (greater Appalachian community) need you ,et al, to change the way you view the relationship between App and UNC-CH. If you believe we are not competing with UNC-CH, you could not be more wrong. We compete, everyday for very finite resources from the state, and for competitive students from the populace. My wife is a teacher at a very high performing Union county school, and students are choosing between the two schools regularly.

Sorry for being long-winded. I am admittedly a "big picture" person, and certainly subscribe to the interconnections of systems. I am passionate about App growing, if we become static, we will squander the momentum gained over the previous decades. We've always done more with less, I believe its time we start trying to do more with more.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: AppStateNews and 17 guests