• Birthdays

Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

NoLongerLurking
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:28 pm

It is as if you scholarly gentlement have never innerakted with a troll.



NewApp
Posts: 3360
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 206 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:05 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:00 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am
AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm


Want to have the conversation about putting away childish things that we had on the Sun Belt board? You know, the one that led to you admitting that you don’t care that CHeat has screwed App over for professional degree offerings, because you already have your degree?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845068-page-4.html
Since you apparently have nothing better to do, sure ... As an App football fan, I'm so so concerned how UNC, or other ACC schools have kept us from winning 3 FCS Championships, numorius Socon titles, two SunBelt titles, and 3 bowl wins ...

Here's my stance. With work and family getting in the way, you know, life. I pretty much just have time to keep my fandom on the gridiron or on the court. I'm more concerned about who App plays on a regular basis and who they recruit against on a regular basis to keep them from football success. I just don't have either the luxury or the time to worry myself to discus and hatred over anything else that just really doesn't matter. I have more problems in this difficult world to worry about then things you suggest. Sorry, but it really isn't that important.
You don’t care about the academic offerings of App and how they can be made to make her stronger???

I truly am ashamed your diploma looks like mine.
I do care, but not to the point of it deciding who I pull against on the Athletic field. At least not to get me worked up to the point of hate.
If you can convince me that a particular major is keeping App from being successful on the football field, then sure, I'll care a little bit more. But I've got more things to worry myself over then that.
I'm proud of what App is as a university. Part of App's (any college for that matter) uniqueness is the majors they offer/or don't offer. It would be kinda boring if every university would be the same. Seems like some of you are jealous in that you want App to be MORE LIKE UNC, Duke, or State ... if that's the case, no thinks. I LOVE App the way it is. Just my two cents. Go Apps!
Everyone's time and resources are their own prerogative to spend as they see fit. I don't want to come across as judgemental, but I'm a little confused by your position, Coach Rob. Are you suggesting that college athletics and college academics exist in seperate vacuums?

I disagree, and I have often heard a quote attributed to Chancellor Peacock, that "athletics are the front porch of a university". He understood this concept better than most, but UNC-CH obviously does as well. Why else would you risk your accreditation and general respect of your academic peers to perpetuate the largest academic fraud in college athletics? Athletics is a primary mechanism (of many) that UNC-CH uses to maintain the status quo. The only way for App to grow in either arena, is by upsetting the status quo maintained by UNC-CH.

If you are strictly a casual football fan, thank you for supporting us in your own way. However we (greater Appalachian community) need you ,et al, to change the way you view the relationship between App and UNC-CH. If you believe we are not competing with UNC-CH, you could not be more wrong. We compete, everyday for very finite resources from the state, and for competitive students from the populace. My wife is a teacher at a very high performing Union county school, and students are choosing between the two schools regularly.

Sorry for being long-winded. I am admittedly a "big picture" person, and certainly subscribe to the interconnections of systems. I am passionate about App growing, if we become static, we will squander the momentum gained over the previous decades. We've always done more with less, I believe its time we start trying to do more with more.

Interesting. I taught in Union County for a good while and now sub there. Subbing is great in that I work only when and where I choose to. I love their computerized sub system.



bcoach
Posts: 3098
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 596 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am
The Rock wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:03 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am
App fans really are SUPER sensitive about UNC. It does seem like some folks overreacted to a post by a UNC student (App alum) in a thread about UNC. It was a poor choice of words for him to use the "we" in reference to UNC, but still.....WOW.

That being said, UNC IS a rival. No, they're not a direct athletic rival very often but we compete for athletes, media time, funding and YES...on occasion we DO compete on the athletic field. Nothing wrong with someone pulling for UNC as a secondary team, especially when they also went there. I think AppDoggy's selection of words was at best dismissive and at worst condescending. I would suggest that the Legal profession has a cornerstone in precision as much as the characteristics me mentioned (Logic and ethics).

Regarding CoachRob's observation (AGAIN) about the fact that App hasn't beaten a P5 in 10 years....is anyone on this board actually NOT aware of that? I assume that most are also aware that the vast majority of those games were played against upper echelon programs. Frankly, if UNC had played those same teams over the same time period, their results would probably be very similar, despite the fact that their athletic budget is 3 times what App has to spend. Yeah....the Wake game might be arguable, but Wake could very likely have beaten UNC this past year as well). We are all disappointed that we haven't pulled another big upset, especially with the "should have won" games against Tennessee and Wake, but some folks have really ridiculous expectations apparently.
I can agree with your point. Sure every DI program is a rival, especially if they are located in NC.
My argument I guess is that from an athletic standpoint, there shouldn't be any more dislike for UNC then their should for Duke or State. Heck, at least UNC has the balls to play us. The fact that many posters on here have the extreme dislike for UNC comes from other personal factors thats not related to App's athletic success. Which leads to all these negative reactions. And THAT is what is ridiculous.
I actually agree with the disproportionate UNC hate issue. I do have a resentment, however, that they have suffered ZERO consequences from the largest academic/athletic fraud in history and continue to thump their chests with impunity.

Umm, don’t you think that might have something to do with the “disproportionate” hate?
The sheer arrogance of the school and it’s fans who tout their national championships while completely dismissing the fact they were won with academically ineligible players is a large reason as to why I dislike them so much
Apparently you've never met any duke fans and the, "I go to duke, I'm just better then you" attitude. The "know it all" yankee tone that comes from the school (larger % of student body is out of state, shocking I know) is past arrogant and beyond annoying. State fans think they are the "football power" of the state, which other then competing on a higher level, their accomplishments are nowhere close to ours ... btw, ncstate isn't spotless either with the Dennis Smith Jr problem either, however, it's really up to your point of view. If you hate Carolina, of course they are all cheaters and only reason they've won any game is cause their dumb players didn't go to any classes. If you favor Carolina, the easy class given had ZERO impact with UNC's ability of court success and isn't a issue. If you favor State, Dennis Smith Jr is a victim of circumstance with the corrupt agents and his nor State's fault. If you hate State, They pay all their players to come play at state. Amazing how personal feelings cause ridiculous reactions ... ON BOTH SIDES! But again, what goes on at State, Carolina, or duke SHOULDN'T be that big of an issue to App fans. But I digress.
Your attempt at deflection just was not that strong.



CoachRob
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Heels Bite the Dust in Charlotte no less

Unread post by CoachRob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:52 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:00 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am
AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm


Want to have the conversation about putting away childish things that we had on the Sun Belt board? You know, the one that led to you admitting that you don’t care that CHeat has screwed App over for professional degree offerings, because you already have your degree?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845068-page-4.html
Since you apparently have nothing better to do, sure ... As an App football fan, I'm so so concerned how UNC, or other ACC schools have kept us from winning 3 FCS Championships, numorius Socon titles, two SunBelt titles, and 3 bowl wins ...

Here's my stance. With work and family getting in the way, you know, life. I pretty much just have time to keep my fandom on the gridiron or on the court. I'm more concerned about who App plays on a regular basis and who they recruit against on a regular basis to keep them from football success. I just don't have either the luxury or the time to worry myself to discus and hatred over anything else that just really doesn't matter. I have more problems in this difficult world to worry about then things you suggest. Sorry, but it really isn't that important.
You don’t care about the academic offerings of App and how they can be made to make her stronger???

I truly am ashamed your diploma looks like mine.
I do care, but not to the point of it deciding who I pull against on the Athletic field. At least not to get me worked up to the point of hate.
If you can convince me that a particular major is keeping App from being successful on the football field, then sure, I'll care a little bit more. But I've got more things to worry myself over then that.
I'm proud of what App is as a university. Part of App's (any college for that matter) uniqueness is the majors they offer/or don't offer. It would be kinda boring if every university would be the same. Seems like some of you are jealous in that you want App to be MORE LIKE UNC, Duke, or State ... if that's the case, no thinks. I LOVE App the way it is. Just my two cents. Go Apps!
Everyone's time and resources are their own prerogative to spend as they see fit. I don't want to come across as judgemental, but I'm a little confused by your position, Coach Rob. Are you suggesting that college athletics and college academics exist in seperate vacuums?

I disagree, and I have often heard a quote attributed to Chancellor Peacock, that "athletics are the front porch of a university". He understood this concept better than most, but UNC-CH obviously does as well. Why else would you risk your accreditation and general respect of your academic peers to perpetuate the largest academic fraud in college athletics? Athletics is a primary mechanism (of many) that UNC-CH uses to maintain the status quo. The only way for App to grow in either arena, is by upsetting the status quo maintained by UNC-CH.

If you are strictly a casual football fan, thank you for supporting us in your own way. However we (greater Appalachian community) need you ,et al, to change the way you view the relationship between App and UNC-CH. If you believe we are not competing with UNC-CH, you could not be more wrong. We compete, everyday for very finite resources from the state, and for competitive students from the populace. My wife is a teacher at a very high performing Union county school, and students are choosing between the two schools regularly.

Sorry for being long-winded. I am admittedly a "big picture" person, and certainly subscribe to the interconnections of systems. I am passionate about App growing, if we become static, we will squander the momentum gained over the previous decades. We've always done more with less, I believe its time we start trying to do more with more.
Thank you for taking the time to explain it in a much more mature manner than others on this board. I understand where you are coming from and it does make sense. With what you and Yosef84 explained, I have no argument against and would agree. The difference with us may be that you look at the big picture while I look at the small picture. As a graduate, that small picture for me is rooting and supporting Apps athletic program. We all have our differences.

My argument in this thread is not about pulling against/for UNC or whether it's right or wrong or trying to lesson the academic scandal or any of the other stuff going on over there. What you have helped show was that we as an App fan base can discuss other teams with maturity and respect without acting like little kids trying to trash talk 1 another. I would argue with you that we are also competing with state and duke over those same kids as well. We also compete with those schools for money as well. At the end, I'm not trying to defend UNC or support them in any way. I just want to point out the immaturity and malice many have against UNC that is more or less based on personal feelings then on the actual competition. If ya hate UNC, duke, or state, that's fine. I personally believe the dislike should be more even solely based on competition between us and them and our opinions should be direct in a more respectful manner. At the end of the day, we're all App fans and nothing more I want to see is App win every single ball game. Even more so those games against in state foes! Go APPS!



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests