Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tubby Smith to High Point

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Tubby Smith to High Point

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:52 am

Big South's High Point University about to land alum and former Kentucky coach, who was fired at Memphis although he won 21 games this season. I say nothing other than good for them.

appstate24

Re: Tubby Smith to High Point

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 am

When I saw he was fired a couple weeks back, I immediately thought Tubby would look good in black & gold.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:42 pm

HPU is building a new basketball arena on campus. This was a no brainer as far as the next coach. There's little to no student support on campus for basketball. Soccer and lacrosse draw more students
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:42 pm
HPU is building a new basketball arena on campus. This was a no brainer as far as the next coach. There's little to no student support on campus for basketball. Soccer and lacrosse draw more students
Help me understand High Point University if you can and or send me a link to a good article. As a resident of the high country and app grad, I have not really heard that much about HP until the last several years. Seems the last 10+ years HP has spent a billion dollars and grown from the size of Lees Mcrea to maybe the size of Wake Forest. What is the catalyst? Where has the money coming from and how do they have such Big Business Names associated with the university? I have been following as I have kids that will be looking into college soon. What is the current draw for a student to HP and what does the $50,000 (tuition and room) get a college student upon graduation? Not trying to down play anything they are doing or what has happened. But there are some big names associated and or at least marketed/advertised by the university. Thanks...

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 pm

I got a report last week of this being in the works. It didn't surprise me , Nido being Nido.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:56 pm

asu2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
Help me understand High Point University if you can and or send me a link to a good article. As a resident of the high country and app grad, I have not really heard that much about HP until the last several years. Seems the last 10+ years HP has spent a billion dollars and grown from the size of Lees Mcrea to maybe the size of Wake Forest. What is the catalyst? Where has the money coming from and how do they have such Big Business Names associated with the university? I have been following as I have kids that will be looking into college soon. What is the current draw for a student to HP and what does the $50,000 (tuition and room) get a college student upon graduation? Not trying to down play anything they are doing or what has happened. But there are some big names associated and or at least marketed/advertised by the university. Thanks...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nido_Qubein

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:11 pm

asu2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
If you don't know much about HPU, here's the article that made big waves several years back: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... university

As others have said, Nido is quite the controversial figure, and his model for changing the face of HPU has leaned heavily on student amenities and courting well-off students, especially from the Northeast. In his defense, a lot of universities are doing that, but it's particularly pronounced at High Point. It's like a microcosm of some of the less attractive trends in higher ed over the last couple of decades.

Then again, the city of High Point needed a boost and HPU has done some good. And by many, many metrics, the school is far ahead of where it was a decade ago. But lots of local residents, alumni, and other onlookers have been put off by the way it got to where it is. When Nido moves on, we'll see how much of it was real and how much was a cult of personality.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Everyone has said what I could say.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Greek Mafia

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm

My wife attended HPU while working 40+ hrs a week at Starbucks, living at home (and paying rent to do so), and a few grants. She graduated in 2010 and still pays about $500 a month in student loans. She drove a salvaged cherokee and parked next to the spoiled kids....... needless to say, she's awesome and I am blessed to be able to call her my wife.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:13 am

Somewhat surprising but he played his college ball there. I have had the occasion to be around him several times. He and his wife Donna are fine people and I wish him the very best.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm
My wife attended HPU while working 40+ hrs a week at Starbucks, living at home (and paying rent to do so), and a few grants. She graduated in 2010 and still pays about $500 a month in student loans. She drove a salvaged cherokee and parked next to the spoiled kids....... needless to say, she's awesome and I am blessed to be able to call her my wife.
Does she have an older sister...maybe an aunt?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”