Wake BB assistant in big trouble

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wake BB assistant in big trouble

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:16 am

The coach is both. He is the one who killed someone.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 am

It amazes me that adults reach conclusions based on such little information.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:34 am

So to recap without details. Drunk man is loud and looking for his Uber. Citizen comes out and drunk guy pushes/punches citizen. Coach punches drunk guy in an attempt to defend said citizen. Drunk guy falls from punch and hits his head on the curb. Coach assist drunk guy by sitting him up against the wall.

Agree coach probably should not have left the scene, but do we know if the man looked to be in distress before the coach left? I’m not a lawyer but I don’t see a malicious intent, assault, much less homicide.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 am

The accounts I’ve read haven’t mentioned anything about the coach defending anyone. It’s just as easy to conclude he was pissed his car got hit. And I also haven’t read he propped him up against a wall either, ( or that he read him a bedtime story and tucked him in) just that he got out of Dodge and didn’t say a word until a bulletin with his photo came out.
Let’s just wait for all the facts.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 am
The accounts I’ve read haven’t mentioned anything about the coach defending anyone. It’s just as easy to conclude he was pissed his car got hit. And I also haven’t read he propped him up against a wall either, ( or that he read him a bedtime story and tucked him in) just that he got out of Dodge and didn’t say a word until a bulletin with his photo came out.
Let’s just wait for all the facts.
Read the Journal article attached on page 1.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:22 am

Didn’t get attachment. I went to WSJ and the only article I saw just mentioned the order of the punches, not that the coach was defending the citizen. Anyhow... it’s all tragic and senseless.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 am

A few facts per Martha McCallum's 7 PM FNC show last night...

WFU has put Jones on leave until this case is resolved.

Too many conflicting accounts floating around on the grapevine and in the media. Facts will be established with witnesses and evidence.

NY state law has been ultra-liberal on cases of this nature until recently. Now there is a statute allowing for a charge of manslaughter in the second degree carrying with it a prison sentence averaging 12 months. Could be more or less.

NYPD has obtained two or three videos of the incident but will release no details until the investigation is complete.

DA's office in Queen's County, NY had precious little to say except that the evidence will be under review with no timeline on charging decisions.

Civil suits in cases like this are expected under the circumstances known to date. If found to be responsible for a death in NY state, monetary awards to the decedent's family can be in the millions. Some individuals escape the heaviest portion of the awards through NY bankruptcy courts, but it's a huge elephant in that individual's credit rating.

Then there are the legal fees. And that recurring memory/nightmare that one can never shed. Inevitable feelings of guilt--unless one is a psychopath. There has been no accusation to date that Jones fits the psychopath's profile.

If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”