Trouble in Maryland

User avatar
ASUchipman
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by ASUchipman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 pm




Yosef84
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 am

Reading this article makes me really grateful for the culture that we have at App with Coach Satterfield and Coach Mike.



AppSt94
Posts: 2768
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 598 times
Been thanked: 507 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am

Why does it take loss of life to bring this type of information to light?



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25205
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 792 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 am

Because there are shady characters all over big-time college sports who are out only for themselves; costs of any nature be-damned! A few of them have apparently nested and become protected at UMD. The article made it seem as if the university has a finger on the "Scale of Justice" to improperly affect the outcome of all of the investigations...as in intimidating/blocking/discouraging witness testimony.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ASU3432Mi
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:43 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 606 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am

Is the Dr. Rod Walters mentioned in the article an App State alum?



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25205
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 792 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am
Is the Dr. Rod Walters mentioned in the article an App State alum?
Yes! http://rodwalters.com/biography/


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4942
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm

If stuff like this ever happens at App State I would want everyone involved fired.

Nine years ago a freshman almost died during workouts at KBS and the S&C coach had to go, and that was the right call IMO.



User avatar
ASUchipman
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by ASUchipman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 am

It appears the head coach and strength coaches have been suspended.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25205
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 792 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 am

Maryland has problems a lot bigger than mere poor attendance. The Head FB Coach and the Asst. AD for strength/conditioning may have negligently contributed to the death of a player through bullying and overworking him through punishment for inability to achieve goals set for him--and then trying to cover it up through coercion of witnesses.

No happy ending here! Possible criminal charges. Sad for family and friends of the deceased player. UM now experiencing attrition from FB program as parents pull their sons out to transfer elsewhere. More power to them.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appgrad2010
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm
If stuff like this ever happens at App State I would want everyone involved fired.

Nine years ago a freshman almost died during workouts at KBS and the S&C coach had to go, and that was the right call IMO.
Don't remember hearing about this. Who was the student-athlete and who was the S&C at the time?



NewApp
Posts: 3781
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:20 am

asu66 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 am
Because there are shady characters all over big-time college sports who are out only for themselves; costs of any nature be-damned! A few of them have apparently nested and become protected at UMD. The article made it seem as if the university has a finger on the "Scale of Justice" to improperly affect the outcome of all of the investigations...as in intimidating/blocking/discouraging witness testimony.
Chuck, you missed your calling. You should have been a writer. I don't always agree with your posts, but they are always well composed and articulate; even eloquent at times.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4942
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 am
T-Dog wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm
If stuff like this ever happens at App State I would want everyone involved fired.

Nine years ago a freshman almost died during workouts at KBS and the S&C coach had to go, and that was the right call IMO.
Don't remember hearing about this. Who was the student-athlete and who was the S&C at the time?
The freshman was OL Storm Moore. He clinically died on the field after collapsing during a workout. Storm never played again due to an after-efect on his heart, but was kept on scholarship and graduated. The S&C was Jeff Dillman and he was gone shortly after. This was in July right before the season started.

I don't believe Dillman was malicious or anything like that. It was just something that happened under his watch.



appgrad2010
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 pm
appgrad2010 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 am
T-Dog wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm
If stuff like this ever happens at App State I would want everyone involved fired.

Nine years ago a freshman almost died during workouts at KBS and the S&C coach had to go, and that was the right call IMO.
Don't remember hearing about this. Who was the student-athlete and who was the S&C at the time?
The freshman was OL Storm Moore. He clinically died on the field after collapsing during a workout. Storm never played again due to an after-efect on his heart, but was kept on scholarship and graduated. The S&C was Jeff Dillman and he was gone shortly after. This was in July right before the season started.

I don't believe Dillman was malicious or anything like that. It was just something that happened under his watch.
I know remember that taking place. Did not know he clinically died on the field. I believe Dillman left for greener pastures though as he was intense but really good as a S & C coach and a high level motivator like our current S & C coach. Mike Kent made a 2nd appearance at App and was good, but I can't remember why he left or where he left for....then who was after him briefly?



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25205
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 792 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 am

Here again is the background story about the sad situation at U of Maryland FB. If you haven't read it, it's worth your time to see what can happen with a couple of bad hires.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -dj-durkin


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4942
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 am

appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 am
I know remember that taking place. Did not know he clinically died on the field. I believe Dillman left for greener pastures though as he was intense but really good as a S & C coach and a high level motivator like our current S & C coach. Mike Kent made a 2nd appearance at App and was good, but I can't remember why he left or where he left for....then who was after him briefly?
Mike Kent left for Colorado State after the 2011 season, followed by Kareem Young, who was S&C for about two and a half years before being replaced by Iron Mike in late spring 2014.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25205
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 792 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Trouble in Maryland

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am



If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: appfan83 and 11 guests