Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Editorial and HS FB news from triangle area

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Editorial and HS FB news from triangle area

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 pm

In this morning's Greensboro paper there was an editoral about Ed Hardin writing about the shoe scandal at UNC-CHeat. The writer identified as an App fan.

I left the.paper at work and don't have it in front of me to paraphrase and give the author's name.

In other news paper clippings ( this from today's Raleigh paper) Chapel Hill High is not having a varsity FB team this year. Will have JV squad. Last year it was East Chapel Hill High that did this. CHHS plans to have Varsity next year again Creek Ridge High on Orange County not fielding a varsity team this year which they announced in June. The Chapel Hill announcement was earlier this week.

I am on a phone so everyone is on their own to find the links to each article mentioned above.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MountaineerMafia

Re: Editorial and HS FB news from triangle area

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 pm
In this morning's Greensboro paper there was an editoral about Ed Hardin writing about the shoe scandal at UNC-CHeat. The writer identified as an App fan.

I left the.paper at work and don't have it in front of me to paraphrase and give the author's name.

In other news paper clippings ( this from today's Raleigh paper) Chapel Hill High is not having a varsity FB team this year. Will have JV squad. Last year it was East Chapel Hill High that did this. CHHS plans to have Varsity next year again Creek Ridge High on Orange County not fielding a varsity team this year which they announced in June. The Chapel Hill announcement was earlier this week.

I am on a phone so everyone is on their own to find the links to each article mentioned above.
Cedar Ridge is the HS in Orange County that will not have varsity football. This area has become very soccer heavy with lots of schools that could field more than 1 varsity team (Cardinal Gibbons for 1). Football is certainly becoming less popular with this younger generation. We will see many years from now how this effects football long term.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 am

Whether we like it or not high school football and really youth football is less popular than at any previous time I can recall. My high school which was wildly football crazy and regularly having 60 kids on the varsity, now has barely 30. This long term trend will effect college and the NFL.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Cedar Ridge is the HS in Orange County that will not have varsity football. This area has become very soccer heavy with lots of schools that could field more than 1 varsity team (Cardinal Gibbons for 1). Football is certainly becoming less popular with this younger generation. We will see many years from now how this effects football long term.
I never call Cedar Ridge by the right name. Is there Creek Ridge somewhere I am confusing it with?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 am
Whether we like it or not high school football and really youth football is less popular than at any previous time I can recall. My high school which was wildly football crazy and regularly having 60 kids on the varsity, now has barely 30. This long term trend will effect college and the NFL.
I assume some went out for Varsity at CHHS but not enough for a 4A school. I imagine the numbers would have rquired a lot of the team members playing O, D and Special Teams. A 1A school I bet does a lot of that but no so much a 4A school. By the end of the game it could be like FCS vs FBS.

The NCHSAA needs to look into classifying not just along enrollment numbers but also participation numbers and some other factors.

That is not going to solve all the problems with football and safety, which is driving some or most of this, but it could help a few schools along the edges that are tyring to hve the sport be a part of the school offerings. I feel bad for the seniors on this team.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 am

One question I have is whether the popularity of Charter schools and other alternative HS options is effecting football more than other sports due to the amount of players needed to field a team. My home county just merged the two High Schools into one due to the drop in enrollment. Everyone that can is sending their kids to charters or private schools. The charters and private school options do not have large enough enrollments to support football, whereas they can support other sports.

I can see an eventual move to football clubs/associations as there is still a lot of interest in the sport locally but no-one is going to choose to send their child to the local county HS just to play football when they can send them to a safe/productive school environment.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”