Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WCU fans are actually going to games

app97
School: Appalachian State

WCU fans are actually going to games

Unread post by app97 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:31 am

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/spo ... 436341002/

I know that most don't care what happening in Cullowhee, but I see stories in local media since I'm in the Asheville area. It appears that Spier and company have made a big difference. Exceeding 12,000 fans twice this year is a big deal for WCU, although the wins have been against Newberry, Gardner Webb, and a shootout with VMI :lol: They also led the Socon in attendance last year...never thought that would happen. I suppose they are one of the largest schools in the conference now, along with UTC and ETSU. Maybe UTC's off-campus stadium affects their attendance.

HighlandsApp

Re: WCU fans are actually going to games

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 am

https://news-prod.wcu.edu/2018/09/wcu-r ... ld-report/

There are good things happening in Cullowhee all the way around. They are probably where we were 20 years ago as far as academic standing in Improvement. Their former Chancellor was really outstanding he passed away unfortunately in the last year from a brain tumor.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:29 am

Simple answer. Winning helps.

Also the cheap tuition is helping with enrollment.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 am

It doesn’t hurt that we sent them a few coaches...
The Appalachian State

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 am

There are good things happening in Cullowhee all the way around. They are probably where we were 20 years ago as far as academic standing in Improvement. Their former Chancellor was really outstanding he passed away unfortunately in the last year from a brain tumor.
definitely improved, especially since more students are going to college now, more students enter schools that were not as desirable in the past, especially as other schools become more competitive for admission. I wouldn't say they are where we were 20 years ago...App seemed like a backup school for UNC, even when I was in school in the mid-late 90s. Also, high school GPAs have been inflated due to more students taking honors and AP classes (even if they're not cut out for it) thereby, flooding more universities with applications. I would say we were similar to UNCC and UNCG for admissions competition when I was in school, and ECU and WCU were behind those schools. So, maybe WCU is closer to UNCC and UNCG now, but they are very different schools, attracting a different breed of student, it seems. I could be wrong, but it seems that we have taken the biggest leap in the system as far as freshman admission standards in the last 10-12 years. UNCW and UNCA have similar entering freshman numbers, although they specialize in different areas. I know we were always the teacher school, and now maybe more known for business and other areas, but I always felt like App had well-rounded students....not overly academic with a nose constantly in a book, but a good balance of academic, social, athletic, and outdoorsy.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:29 am

app97 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am
HighlandsApp wrote:

definitely improved, especially since more students are going to college now, more students enter schools that were not as desirable in the past, especially as other schools become more competitive for admission. I wouldn't say they are where we were 20 years ago...App seemed like a backup school for UNC, even when I was in school in the mid-late 90s. Also, high school GPAs have been inflated due to more students taking honors and AP classes (even if they're not cut out for it) thereby, flooding more universities with applications. I would say we were similar to UNCC and UNCG for admissions competition when I was in school, and ECU and WCU were behind those schools. So, maybe WCU is closer to UNCC and UNCG now, but they are very different schools, attracting a different breed of student, it seems. I could be wrong, but it seems that we have taken the biggest leap in the system as far as freshman admission standards in the last 10-12 years. UNCW and UNCA have similar entering freshman numbers, although they specialize in different areas. I know we were always the teacher school, and now maybe more known for business and other areas, but I always felt like App had well-rounded students....not overly academic with a nose constantly in a book, but a good balance of academic, social, athletic, and outdoorsy.
AppState, UNCA and UNCW are ahead of the middle pack and have been for years. WCU and UNCG are making great strides at trying to join us in this group. Scores of incoming freshmen have increased significantly each year at WCU. They have done an outstanding job of marketing themselves as an adventure school with their similar resources as ours. I’m glad that they are having success so long as it isn’t at our expense.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:02 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:29 am
app97 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am
HighlandsApp wrote:

AppState, UNCA and UNCW are ahead of the middle pack and have been for years. WCU and UNCG are making great strides at trying to join us in this group. Scores of incoming freshmen have increased significantly each year at WCU. They have done an outstanding job of marketing themselves as an adventure school with their similar resources as ours. I’m glad that they are having success so long as it isn’t at our expense.
I work with high school students, many of whom are applying to colleges. I know that WCU has made strides with marketing, lower tuition costs, etc., but they still seem pretty far behind App, judging by the types of students who apply and attend both schools. Part of their marketing as an "adventure school" was due to them winning an online contest for a couple of years for best outdoors and/or adventure school. The contest was essentially an online game where the number of student votes determined the winner. So, schools with more students with time on their hands, with nothing better to do end up winning, therefore giving the school a reason to market themselves as outdoorsy/adventurous. Also, scores are increasing across the board at many schools due to the inflated GPAs, more students getting AP credit, although many aren't prepared for college, and the state of NC going to a 10 point grading scale in high school instead of the 7 point scale we had forever. Unfortunately, one of the byproducts of the grade inflation is that we have hoards of students who only know how to take tests, increase GPA, and play the school game...this in turn creates more kids who don't know how to think critically/creatively. It works great for the corporate model of learning how to be managed by others, but not so great for conversation, discussion, thinking, and independent learning.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Awesome. Speir seems to be a good man. I never hated WCU. Actually, I considered briefly finishing my degree there after military service due to the fact the area is more rural and less....... things that displease a 4 tour combat veteran. My old roommate has 2 fly shops down there (Bryson City and Sylva). Tuckaseegee Fly Shop if anyone is headed that way for delayed harvest on the Natahala or Tuck.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 pm

I don't know if it's done but they're getting a bypass that goes from the freeway to right outside Cullowhee so you don't have to drive through Sylva to get to campus. That will help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”