Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Withers out at Texas State

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Withers out at Texas State

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Underdog Dynasty is reporting that Withers was fired today from HC duties at Texas State along with some assistants.

Nobody knows who is coaching the team for next week as of this moment.

asu66

Re: Withers out at Texas State

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:07 pm
Underdog Dynasty is reporting that Withers was fired today from HC duties at Texas State along with some assistants.

Nobody knows who is coaching the team for next week as of this moment.
I hear some guy named Brad Lambert is available and that he has several years of head coaching experience at that UNC-Harrisburg juggernaut. :roll:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Also from Underdog Dynasty...an uncomplimentary summary of the Withers era in San Marcos.

"Despite AD Teis claiming the program was making strides, apparently the path to success was sans Withers. Sources have also indicated that the assistants will be out and defensive coordinator Chris Woods will coach the final game of the season."

"Having the number one ranked and number two ranked recruiting classes in the Sun Belt in 2017 and 2018, respectively, Withers was on his way to rebuilding TXST and was having his best season in San Marcos this year with the defense stepping up to levels not seen in years.

Despite Withers’ great recruiting classes and his attempts to rebuild the perception of Bobcat football along with his popularity and the utmost respect from his players it ultimately wasn’t enough as the losses piled up for a football program which is about as popular as smallpox.

Withers had constant instability in his assistants throughout his tenure and was plagued this year with crucial play calling that cost the ‘Cats a few chances at victory, clashed with media and criticized the Franchione era players after Withers’ first year.

Withers finishes his tenure with only two Sun Belt wins, four wins against FBS programs and the two worst seasons in Texas State’s 114 year football history."
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Having a crappy team in Texas is kind of ironic. Isn't that like the breeding ground for most stud football players? I know UT, TCU, A&M, Baylor, UH and Tech probably get the top recruits, but still there should be plenty of decent players left over to pick from.

Then again, there's Rice and UTEP...

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:48 pm

This is a very short-sighted decision. TXST prior Everett had a mediocre offense and no defense. He significantly upgraded the talent level (which takes a couple years when you are at the bottom) and this year their defense made significant improvement. Currently they are 4th in scoring defense and 4th in total defense. And as we just saw they held Troy to 12-7.... are you kidding me. Their freshman dual-threat QB has been on a concussion protocol the last two games. I think it is fair to say that with this defense largely coming back and another year in their offense that I would say its likely that they would be a .500 team next year. So now what, you are going to start over again. Oh,, if you read their press release, it says "we were close on winning games but didn't win them." ..... no kidding that's why you keep him because you have to be close to winning BEFORE you win the games. Very dumb move.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:07 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:48 pm
This is a very short-sighted decision. TXST prior Everett had a mediocre offense and no defense. He significantly upgraded the talent level (which takes a couple years when you are at the bottom) and this year their defense made significant improvement. Currently they are 4th in scoring defense and 4th in total defense. And as we just saw they held Troy to 12-7.... are you kidding me. Their freshman dual-threat QB has been on a concussion protocol the last two games. I think it is fair to say that with this defense largely coming back and another year in their offense that I would say its likely that they would be a .500 team next year. So now what, you are going to start over again. Oh,, if you read their press release, it says "we were close on winning games but didn't win them." ..... no kidding that's why you keep him because you have to be close to winning BEFORE you win the games. Very dumb move.
Maybe it was a survival move? Hasn't Teis himself been on the hot seat as of late?
Either way, dumb to do it today, takes the wind out of the Bobcats winning the conference Volleyball championship.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Article by Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal on Coach Withers.

App Trail: Former App State safety fired at Texas State, according to reports

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... ail-latest

Beat Troy!!
Give Em Hell!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”