Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FCS national championship

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: FCS national championship

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
RankinApp wrote:
appst89 wrote:Setting us up to put a dramatic end to their attempt to win three in a row next year.
That would be freakin' epic. :D

Although we'll have to make it past the second round first. :P
It's a new era. One and done is done.

Could very well be, but I seem to recall Sparky Woods having a one and done or two and he is revered by many on this board.
Again I have to ask, seriously? What does Sparky have to do with anything? Come on. You're just trying to see what you can stir up.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
asu1978 wrote:We WILL be there next year.It WILL happen. 8-)

If we announce before July we are moving up in 2014 we won't be eligible for the playoffs next year, right?
I think several people on this board have said that we would not be eligible. We will be in netherland; not eligible for a bowl nor for the play-offs.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 pm

appst89 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
RankinApp wrote:
appst89 wrote:Setting us up to put a dramatic end to their attempt to win three in a row next year.
That would be freakin' epic. :D

Although we'll have to make it past the second round first. :P
It's a new era. One and done is done.

Could very well be, but I seem to recall Sparky Woods having a one and done or two and he is revered by many on this board.
Again I have to ask, seriously? What does Sparky have to do with anything? Come on. You're just trying to see what you can stir up.
Oh come on, are you paranoid? I was simply making an analogy, that just because we may have arguably better coaching doesn't mean we will be a shoe in. Heck if Jamal goes down for the season and our back ups aren't up to the task, we could easily have to struggle to get past the second round. My fingers are crossed that we make a serious run all the way to the finals.
I've always contended...many times on here as a matter of fact....that had Sparky stayed with us all these years that he would have bettered JM's record.
I've seen enough pissing matches on here that I don't care to see ANY more at all. :!:
a.k.a JC0429

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Gee, I and most of America missed the game.......

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Rekdiver wrote:Gee, I and most of America missed the game.......
As is the case with almost every postseason/bowlgame played thus far.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:42 am

Here is what is so hard to understand. People get on here and the other place and bash FCS like it is the lowest form of football you can imagine. They call it JV, and nobody cares, and it is irrelevant. Then they claim to be the biggest ASU football fans on the planet. That just makes no sense. You can want to move to FBS and that is fine but to continually put down where you are now just does not match up with a real fan. If nobody cares then why should anybody be looking at us to make a move. Why should anybody care about us? If nobody wants to watch us then why would a conference want us? What value do we bring? If they don't want to watch us now why will they want to watch us later? If you are trying to sell your product you don’t say “well my industry sucks but I am different”. If you want to sell your product you say “I am the best of a really great industry”. I am sorry but all this “nobody cares” stuff about FCS just smacks of inferiority complex. Just like hapapp has said nobody cares about the lower bowls either so what the heck are you going to do after the move?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:01 am

Based on the ratings of the games. 99% of the nation doesn't care about the FCS, and 98% doesn't care about the bottom 15 bowls.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 am

bcoach wrote:Here is what is so hard to understand. People get on here and the other place and bash FCS like it is the lowest form of football you can imagine. They call it JV, and nobody cares, and it is irrelevant. Then they claim to be the biggest ASU football fans on the planet. That just makes no sense. You can want to move to FBS and that is fine but to continually put down where you are now just does not match up with a real fan. If nobody cares then why should anybody be looking at us to make a move. Why should anybody care about us? If nobody wants to watch us then why would a conference want us? What value do we bring? If they don't want to watch us now why will they want to watch us later? If you are trying to sell your product you don’t say “well my industry sucks but I am different”. If you want to sell your product you say “I am the best of a really great industry”. I am sorry but all this “nobody cares” stuff about FCS just smacks of inferiority complex. Just like hapapp has said nobody cares about the lower bowls either so what the heck are you going to do after the move?
This. One thousand times this.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 pm

The fact that we are comparing the pinnacle of FCS football to the lowest bowls speaks volumes about FCS. Whether it's TV ratings or attendance it's always a comparison with the lowest of FBS.

As for me it's about having better matchups during the season, and from that standpoint I do view FCS as inferior to FBS in every way. That doesn't mean I'm not there pulling for us to win every game and donating what I can to help. FCS football ain't what it used to be, and ASU is much better than what it was when I-AA came to be.

Love ASU but loathe FCS.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 pm

JTApps1 wrote:The fact that we are comparing the pinnacle of FCS football to the lowest bowls speaks volumes about FCS. Whether it's TV ratings or attendance it's always a comparison with the lowest of FBS.

As for me it's about having better matchups during the season, and from that standpoint I do view FCS as inferior to FBS in every way. That doesn't mean I'm not there pulling for us to win every game and donating what I can to help. FCS football ain't what it used to be, and ASU is much better than what it was when I-AA came to be.

Love ASU but loathe FCS.
But it's not even about FCS vs. FBS any longer. That ship has sailed and the decision has been made. It was the decision that had to be made. But you don't sell yourself to a potential new employer by pointing out all the things you can't do. I don't understand the constant need to downgrade everything we have done. Seems to me those are the very points we should be selling to a new suitor.

The comnparison to the lower bowls is valid. It's where we are going to be except in rare circumstances. I get the desire for better regular season matchups, but how are we helping to get those by continually running down what we do now?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Since everyone is comparing them here is the attendance for all bowls involving the Sun Belt, MAC, and CUSA versus the FCS National Championship. Not sure what this proves but it's interesting to see.

Orange Bowl- 72,073 MAC
Liberty Bowl- 53,687 CUSA
New Orleans Bowl- 48,828 SB/CUSA
Independence Bowl- 41,853 SB/MAC
Armed Forces Bowl- 40,754 CUSA
Hawaii Bowl- 30,024 CUSA
Idaho Bowl- 29,243 MAC
Little Caesars Bowl- 23,310 SB/MAC
St. Petersburg Bowl- 21,759 CUSA/MAC
FCS National Champ- 21,411
Military Bowl- 17,853 MAC

GoDaddy.com Bowl- Being played tonight
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 pm

JTApps1 wrote:Since everyone is comparing them here is the attendance for all bowls involving the Sun Belt, MAC, and CUSA versus the FCS National Championship. Not sure what this proves but it's interesting to see.

Orange Bowl- 72,073 MAC
Hawaii Bowl- 30,024 CUSA
Idaho Bowl- 29,243 MAC

Reported attendance, not butts in seats. I watched several of those games and I'll bet my house there weren't that many people there. They count as attendance all the tickets forced upon the participating institutions whether they are occupied or not. A more accurate comparison might be to look at percentage of capacity, but that would only be accurate if you could get the actual attendance numbers for the bowls. Also, demand has to be looked at. There were Orange Bowl tickets on Stubhub for well less than face value. According to ND State sources, they were not able to fulfill all the ticket requests they received.

The issue of tickets for bowl games is a completely different argument. When you have BC$ programs taking multi-million dollar losses on tickets and the MAC stepping in to absorb some of the loss incurred by Northern Illinois, there is a bigger problem than whether people are watching the game.

And again, I'm not arguing FCS vs, FBS. We have to make the move if we get the opportunity, but we're trading one set of warts for another.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 pm

we are forgetting one thing...listen carefully....if app goes fbs...now listen...THEY WILL NEVER PLAY FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP...NEVER! not because they couldn't be good enough but because the bcs and its championship playoff system will only be comprised of so many upper level conferences which already have their 16 team memberships locked up. app will never move into one of those conferences and seeing how we are a regional school with limited fan base, a lower tier bowl being more likely the scenario, will be poorly attended in the likes of idaho, new mexico, california...or really any place west of the mississippi. yes we travel well to a championship game...but its also a 20k stadium compared to 40k stadiums. i wonder why wisconsin white water and valdosta state dont move up to fbs...theyve won tons of championships too.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:if app goes fbs...now listen...THEY WILL NEVER PLAY FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP...NEVER!
We will be playing for a conference championship. Realistically, it just means that we will have about the same chance of winning a National Championship that we already do in every other sport.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:55 pm

appst89 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Since everyone is comparing them here is the attendance for all bowls involving the Sun Belt, MAC, and CUSA versus the FCS National Championship. Not sure what this proves but it's interesting to see.

Orange Bowl- 72,073 MAC
Hawaii Bowl- 30,024 CUSA
Idaho Bowl- 29,243 MAC

Reported attendance, not butts in seats. I watched several of those games and I'll bet my house there weren't that many people there. They count as attendance all the tickets forced upon the participating institutions whether they are occupied or not. A more accurate comparison might be to look at percentage of capacity, but that would only be accurate if you could get the actual attendance numbers for the bowls. Also, demand has to be looked at. There were Orange Bowl tickets on Stubhub for well less than face value. According to ND State sources, they were not able to fulfill all the ticket requests they received.

The issue of tickets for bowl games is a completely different argument. When you have BC$ programs taking multi-million dollar losses on tickets and the MAC stepping in to absorb some of the loss incurred by Northern Illinois, there is a bigger problem than whether people are watching the game.

And again, I'm not arguing FCS vs, FBS. We have to make the move if we get the opportunity, but we're trading one set of warts for another.
Capacity is a bad way to compare. Lets say the FCS championship moved to Cowboys Stadium and it sold 30,000 tickets. That would be the highest attendance ever for the I-AA/FCS, but % of capacity would be terrible.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:57 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:we are forgetting one thing...listen carefully....if app goes fbs...now listen...THEY WILL NEVER PLAY FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP...NEVER! not because they couldn't be good enough but because the bcs and its championship playoff system will only be comprised of so many upper level conferences which already have their 16 team memberships locked up. app will never move into one of those conferences and seeing how we are a regional school with limited fan base, a lower tier bowl being more likely the scenario, will be poorly attended in the likes of idaho, new mexico, california...or really any place west of the mississippi. yes we travel well to a championship game...but its also a 20k stadium compared to 40k stadiums. i wonder why wisconsin white water and valdosta state dont move up to fbs...theyve won tons of championships too.
Other than a few individual track champions we've never won any national championships competing against all Div 1 schools.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Based on the ratings of the games. 99% of the nation doesn't care about the FCS, and 98% doesn't care about the bottom 15 bowls.
Great points.
a.k.a JC0429

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:we are forgetting one thing...listen carefully....if app goes fbs...now listen...THEY WILL NEVER PLAY FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP...NEVER! not because they couldn't be good enough but because the bcs and its championship playoff system will only be comprised of so many upper level conferences which already have their 16 team memberships locked up. app will never move into one of those conferences and seeing how we are a regional school with limited fan base, a lower tier bowl being more likely the scenario, will be poorly attended in the likes of idaho, new mexico, california...or really any place west of the mississippi. yes we travel well to a championship game...but its also a 20k stadium compared to 40k stadiums. i wonder why wisconsin white water and valdosta state dont move up to fbs...theyve won tons of championships too.
Other than a few individual track champions we've never won any national championships competing against all Div 1 schools.
Add wrestling to that last year. We did have two very successful wrestlers (individual sport again) in the national tournament.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”