Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WCU's Speir Wants Coach Moore to Consult

JCline0429

WCU's Speir Wants Coach Moore to Consult

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

a.k.a JC0429

ASU-FTW
School: Appalachian State

Re: WCU's Speir Wants Coach Moore to Consult

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:28 pm

If you STILL can't beat them, hire them. It really worked out well for the Can'ts last year. Wonder if they'll go after Dale Jones for their DC. Hey why not? :lol: :lol:

Not sure how much Coach Moore cares about his legacy at ASU, but if he goes to Western, he will burn a lot of bridges in many fans' minds.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:If you STILL can't beat them, hire them. It really worked out well for the Can'ts last year. Wonder if they'll go after Dale Jones for their DC. Hey why not? :lol: :lol:

Not sure how much Coach Moore cares about his legacy at ASU, but if he goes to Western, he will burn a lot of bridges in many fans' minds.
I have no problem with Coach Moore sitting down with an old friend and someone he mentored and sharing some thoughts or making suggestions. Nothing he does in his post-ASU life should impact his legacy at Appalachian. The man gave ASU its best quarter century of football. Unless folks want him to shrivel up and die, I say let him do what keeps in the game he has devoted his life to.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:If you STILL can't beat them, hire them. It really worked out well for the Can'ts last year. Wonder if they'll go after Dale Jones for their DC. Hey why not? :lol: :lol:

According to the article, Moore would only be there for occasional consulting...much like we did regarding West Virginia helping us install the spread. As to our former staff helping or hurting WCU last season, it's way to early to tell if it did or not. They haven't gotten a recruiting class some protracted experience yet. We'll have to wait and see.
Last edited by JCline0429 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a JC0429

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm

hapapp wrote:

I have no problem with Coach Moore sitting down with an old friend and someone he mentored and sharing some thoughts or making suggestions. Nothing he does in his post-ASU life should impact his legacy at Appalachian. The man gave ASU its best quarter century of football. Unless folks want him to shrivel up and die, I say let him do what keeps in the game he has devoted his life to.
Maybe it shouldn't, but in the short term it will. I don't necessarily share these thoughts as Western is mostly irrelevant these days, but going to a rival/former rival gives off a bitter vibe.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Maybe it shouldn't, but in the short term it will. I don't necessarily share these thoughts as Western is mostly irrelevant these days, but going to a rival/former rival gives off a bitter vibe.
Fans and players might be rivals, but coaches are a fraternity. Mike Ayers and Jerry Moore are close friends despite the rivalry between their respective schools. My guess is they have bounced many thoughts off one another over the years. I just don't see the big deal.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:56 pm

hapapp wrote:

That's the way I see it, Jerry. I wish him the best no matter what he does in his post-coaching days. As to his legacy mentioned by the other poster, I feel his legacy is of the status that in most fans eyes, it was created in the past 24 years little matter what he said in the press regarding his dismissal. Most fans understand why he tried to defend himself (at least the ones with whom I have communicated). Doing some consultant work for WCU shouldn't in any way shape or form affect negatively his legacy. After all he will be helping a protege who left for a higher position. Most people know what a good relationship he has had with other coaches around the country. These contacts may help Jerry deal with his retirement in a positive way. Like I and a few others have noted, if ASU doesn't want him, more power to the ones who do as well as Jerry himself.
a.k.a JC0429

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Coach Moore will always be a mentor to Coach Speir. I don't think Speir coaching at Western or anywhere else will change that. I'd expect him to reach out to Coach Moore, especially since Coach Moore is no longer coaching. I'm just not sure what kind of advice Coach Moore could give that Speir hasn't already heard. Coach Moore seemed to be slipping back to his old ways after Satterfield left. I'm not slighting Coach Moore but he is still old school and I'm not sure that's what Western needs. Coach Speir is probably not the only coach who will be looking to get some insight from Coach Moore and I think it's perfectly OK and we shouldn't take anything from it other than we had a pretty darn good coach for a long time who has impacted a lot of people.
WE ARE YOSEF!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:14 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:Not sure how much Coach Moore cares about his legacy at ASU, but if he goes to Western, he will burn a lot of bridges in many fans' minds.
Nah, I don't think so. ;)

ASU_MBA

Unread post by ASU_MBA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Jerry Moore on how to take a loss
Coach Speir: "Jerry what should we do following a loss"
Jerry Moore: "Tell the media that the kids had the best week of practice."

Jerry Moore on 1st down playcalling
Coach Spier: "Jerry what is your advice for playcalling on 1st down?"
Jerry Moore: "Well I always liked the committee to argue about the play on the headset and make Armanti wait on the call ,then just call the ol divearooski between the guard and center. The spread that your boy Glenn runs works best as more of a power I offense."

Jerry Moore on scouting opposing teams
Coach Spier: "Any advice on how to scout opposing teams?"
Jerry Moore: "Well first you need to see if they play hard, every team I have watched on film does. Then you need to see if they are well-coached, again every team we ever played was."

Jerry Moore on recruiting:
Coach Spier: "Jerry, how can we improve our recruiting efforts?"
Jerry Moore: "As you know, when you were recruiting coordinator here, it is nice to have a good ol "colon cleanse" of the big lineman. Only recruit and sign 1 O-lineman and 1 D-lineman this year and wait 2 or 3 years to sign another. This keeps the line good and young upfront."

Jerry Moore on coaching the Defense
Coach Spier: "Any thoughts on improving the play of our D?
Jerry Moore" "I liked to let Dale do whatever he wanted, it was like a Xmas surprise to see the D in a 3-4 one week then a 4-3, then the 4-2-5. I loved never knowing what Dale would do."

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

You forgot, after a loss:
Well, if we don't learn something from this, then there is something wrong.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm

hapapp wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Fans and players might be rivals, but coaches are a fraternity. Mike Ayers and Jerry Moore are close friends despite the rivalry between their respective schools. My guess is they have bounced many thoughts off one another over the years. I just don't see the big deal.
That's because it is not a big deal but there are those who will look for any excuse to bash the Coach. It will never end.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

It truly is amazing how ungrateful some of our expert fans are towards the coach who produced the best quarter century of App football.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

hapapp wrote:It truly is amazing how ungrateful some of our expert fans are towards the coach who produced the best quarter century of App football.
That guy really was terrible, huh? Wish he'd at least won some games, discovered some top-notch assistants or recruited some great players while he was here. Worst coach ever, if you ask me.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm

What difference does it make if Jerry burns the bridge? He already removed all the planks last month.

Let him go wherever he wants. Wherever he goes, it isnt to give new ideas. He couldnt figure out what was wrong at App, why would he do any better somewhere else?

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 pm

asumike83 wrote: That guy really was terrible, huh? Wish he'd at least won some games, discovered some top-notch assistants or recruited some great players while he was here. Worst coach ever, if you ask me.
Maybe instead of increasing his son's pay, he should have used the money to replace the excellent staff that moved on with more capable coaches, and he'd still be here.

Replacing great assistants with 23 year olds a year out of App, payed them hardly anything, isnt going to cut it.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Some people are just very bitter and looking for a target.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
asumike83 wrote: That guy really was terrible, huh? Wish he'd at least won some games, discovered some top-notch assistants or recruited some great players while he was here. Worst coach ever, if you ask me.
Maybe instead of increasing his son's pay, he should have used the money to replace the excellent staff that moved on with more capable coaches, and he'd still be here.

Replacing great assistants with 23 year olds a year out of App, payed them hardly anything, isnt going to cut it.
I don't disagree. I've never said that Jerry didn't make mistakes or that he shouldn't be held accountable for them.

I just don't understand the need to mock him, even after he's been let go. I think the time was right to move on but I also feel that he deserves some respect.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

asumike83 wrote:I don't disagree. I've never said that Jerry didn't make mistakes or that he shouldn't be held accountable for them.

I just don't understand the need to mock him, even after he's been let go. I think the time was right to move on but I also feel that he deserves some respect.
Jerry Moore sure didnt respect Cobb, Peacock, or Appalachian State when he left. You know from my Rivals postings how much I wished and hoped for him to retire, but I had never called for him to be fired. I was thrilled last year when Cobb was able to make necassary changes, and allow JM to go out on top. Even with several others telling me what a bad idea that was. I was wrong.

Public interviews, including the word "blindsided." His cronies attacking Cobb and Peacock in the media, and message boards. Trying to end around a deal he'd already taken. Hearing nothing but how good a man JM was for years, I must say, he apparently didnt practice what he preached in this case. This is how he chose to go out.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:20 pm

GlassOnion wrote: Jerry Moore sure didnt respect Cobb, Peacock, or Appalachian State when he left. You know from my Rivals postings how much I wished and hoped for him to retire, but I had never called for him to be fired. I was thrilled last year when Cobb was able to make necassary changes, and allow JM to go out on top. Even with several others telling me what a bad idea that was. I was wrong.

Public interviews, including the word "blindsided." His cronies attacking Cobb and Peacock in the media, and message boards. Trying to end around a deal he'd already taken. Hearing nothing but how good a man JM was for years, I must say, he apparently didnt practice what he preached in this case. This is how he chose to go out.
We don't have the whole story regarding his departure and we likely never will. What we know is that Cobb sent a very thoughtful e-mail to him saying that he thought it was in the best interest of Appalachian and his family to step away after last season. We know that Coach Moore declined the offer and wanted to work out his contract. Nobody outside the two men in that room know how the conversation went, whether it was "one more year and you're gone" or "one more year and we'll talk".

Another statement made that I've never heard disputed is that they did not broach the topic again until the meeting where Moore asked to extend his contract and was denied. Regardless of how the initial conversation went, I think we can all agree that something as big as your head coach ending a long, successful career probably merits another conversation about how you're going to handle the transition. Jerry thought that winning another SoCon title could possibly get him another year but if they'd communicated with each other in the meantime, he would not have had any false hope. JM should have never spoken to any media outlet before hashing this out but neither side is without fault, very poor communication.

Regardless of what happened (and honestly, I'm not sure I really care at this point), I don't think Jerry did anything so egregious that our fans should forget about all he did for us and lose respect for him. The positives of his tenure outweigh the negatives and it is not even close. This is not directed at you individually but continuing to kick him while he's down is unnecessary, in my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”