Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WCU's Speir Wants Coach Moore to Consult

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: WCU's Speir Wants Coach Moore to Consult

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 am

Appsolutely wrote:
You better watch it GO, or he will quit the board AGAIN, and this time he might not even start a poll to see if we want him to stay.
No need for a poll, he's gotten 14,287 emails imploring him to stay.
Give 'em hell!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 am

I have grounds. As a matter of fact I have had four cups of coffee this morning and I own a couple acres in Maryland.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

WataugaMan wrote:I have grounds. As a matter of fact I have had four cups of coffee this morning and I own a couple acres in Maryland.
No kidding right? Ive already polished off a pot and a half. Had to switch to "half-caff" a while back because I was typing with the shakes. :shock:

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

GlassOnion wrote:If your boss said to you, "Pack your bags at the end of the month, I'm replacing you." and didnt broach the topic for the rest of the month, do you assume youre not being replaced? Furthermore, do you assume the boss that has already told you in writing that "the people that mattered" had already made their decision, will give you a contract extension? Going even further, do you give public interviews telling the press that you were "blindsided" at the end of that month?
Like I said, Jerry should have never said a word to the press without hashing this out internally. I do not think Jerry is without fault and I agree with you in that regard.

However, we are not privy to all the information here. We have Cobb's memo to Moore and Cobb's memo to Peacock but we do not know how the private conversation in between transpired. In his memo to Jerry, he didn't say the people that mattered had made a final decision. The quote was "short of guaranteeing another championship season, I'm not sure the people that matter will be satisfied". Maybe Jerry thought that winning another SoCon championship would satisfy them or maybe it was communicated more clearly in their private conversation but we will never know.

Regardless, I do not think Cobb is without fault either. This was the biggest decision in his career to this point and I certainly think a follow-up conversation to discuss the transition was necessary. Charlie is a savvy guy, he knows that there had been rumblings about Jerry's retirement for a while and he had to know it would be one of the first questions asked at the last press conference of the season. If he and Jerry were on the same page about his exit, why would you not sit down with him at some point and discuss when and how this would be handled with the press? It was the end of a quarter century era of Appalachian football and the biggest news story about ASU football since the championships. Part of his job as athletic director is not only communicating internally but with the fans and media. I am a supporter of Charlie Cobb and think he has done a fine job for us but in my opinion, that aspect of the job is not his strong suit.

In the end, we wound up with a great coach, kept an excellent offensive staff in place and did not lose a single recruit or returning player thus far. I won't bring it up again and shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. Some think Jerry was completely in the right and got the shaft, others think Cobb handled it perfectly and some are in middle. Either way, it has been beaten to death and I don't think anyone is changing their opinion of the situation.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Appsolutely wrote:
You better watch it GO, or he will quit the board AGAIN, and this time he might not even start a poll to see if we want him to stay.
Yeah, but WVApp sent 14,286 of them.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 am

Rep Point :D

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

WataugaMan wrote:Rep Point :D
And a big +1 right back at ya. :D
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am

GlassOnion wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:I have grounds. As a matter of fact I have had four cups of coffee this morning and I own a couple acres in Maryland.
No kidding right? Ive already polished off a pot and a half. Had to switch to "half-caff" a while back because I was typing with the shakes. :shock:
I took a sick day today, doctor's appointment later on. Thus, I slept in a little longer, almost to 7 AM. Usually I drink a pot per day, keeps me regular. :D
Last edited by WataugaMan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 am

Appsolutely wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Appsolutely wrote:
Yeah, but WVApp sent 14,286 of them.

:lol:

Oh goodness. That one got me right in the ribs.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 am

WataugaMan wrote: I took a sick day today, doctor's appointment later on. Thus, I slept in a little longer, almost to 7 AM. Usually I drink a pot per day, keeps me regular. :D
I think "regular" may be too weak an adjective. :lol:

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am

GlassOnion wrote:
WataugaMan wrote: I took a sick day today, doctor's appointment later on. Thus, I slept in a little longer, almost to 7 AM. Usually I drink a pot per day, keeps me regular. :D
I think "regular" may be too weak an adjective. :lol:
Oh Crap!! :lol:

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am

asumike83 wrote: Either way, it has been beaten to death and I don't think anyone is changing their opinion of the situation.
I agree.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Most of us know the definition of insanity is preforming the same task over and over and expecting different results. Transposing that it this board insanity is repeating the same arguments over and over and expecting to change someone’s mind. From what it looks like the lines are pretty well drawn and nothing is going to change that.

It is January 8, 2013 and as I type this it’s 12:40 pm. This whole discussion and every other thread about it are discussing things in the PAST. Unless someone has access to a time machine we can’t change what happened one minute ago much less know what was said a year ago. Not one person on here, unless one of you is Charlie Cobb or Jerry Moore, knows EXACTLY what was said and how many times they talked. We have two documents and the rest is he said, he said and there is nothing that will change that.

I, for one, am going to look at the future. We are in the middle of recruiting. We have an ongoing coaching search for two positions. We are awaiting a possible invite and a decision on whether we move up or stay where we are. We have other sports going on, and while I know discussing basketball can lead to heartburn cussing, and heavy drinking, it’s still here and now. Baseball is around the corner with a new coach and what looks to be a pretty good team. Various other sports and events are occurring or are about to. Given the fact that I can’t change the past I am choosing to look ahead and leave this whole thing behind us. I hope some of you choose to do the same. ALWAYS ATTACK!!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Amen to that!

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm

First, Why is this in the ASU Football Thread?

Second, Why are we still hashing out the PAST?

Third, I "heard?read" that Coach was/is going to UNCC, now WCU....who cares....he turned down a lot more $ than most any of us will make in a year to be an ambassador for ASU a place that paid him a lot during the last 24 years....And that he gave a lot to!

Fourth, Not only did he tell the press but he was telling the PUBLIC....I heard a lady say he was "let go" (her words) the Sunday after the last game at about 11:15 ish and texted BHG to ask if he knew anything...

Fifth....what we might need if this keeps up!

Go Apps!
Go APPS!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:34 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:First, Why is this in the ASU Football Thread?

Go Apps!
Hadn't noticed, but it's fixed now. The rest? Well, I can't do much about those.

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:47 pm

I know I haven't been here for awhile, but I'd like to welcome everyone to the OFFICIAL MMB Off-season!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”