Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Paul Johnson retiring at GT

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Paul Johnson retiring at GT

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:13 pm

app97 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:10 pm
The names I’ve seen thus far are the LA Chargers offensive coordinator, who played for P.J., the OC at Clemson, and Monken at Army.
The chargers OC would be a sexy hire. Maybe that one will stick

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:15 pm

appaneer1984 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:08 pm
And if Satt does go, Mike Houston can always pull a Frank Beamer and renege on his acceptance to coach UNCC...Beamer was set to be UNC's coach way back in the day before he had a change of heart and went to VT
Beamer was already the coach at VT. He was set to leave and had a change of heart.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 pm

appaneer1984 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:06 pm
Personally I think they'll go after a coach who uses the triple option far more than App State employs it
Perhaps, but GT is not GS. They aren't necessarily wedded to the TO.
Last edited by hapapp on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:21 pm

I sure hope Gillin is prepared for the inevitable when it happens.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm

AppSt91 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:21 pm
I sure hope Gillin is prepared for the inevitable when it happens.
From everything I've seen from Gillin, I would be more surprised if he's not prepared. We have a young successful coach that's been talked about nationally for two years now. There's no reason for a competent AD to not at least have a short list (although with Houston going to UNCC the list might have just narrowed a little bit). I don't want Satt to leave, but I have confidence in Gillin should the situation arise.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:31 pm

I’m sure Doug and Scott have had some open and honest comversations. Scott would feel he’s left a new coach with a killer team. And I’m sure Doug has a short list that may include the existing staff.

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think Gillin is as competent as they come and am sure he has a short list. Guess my concern is with continuity assuming the majority of the assistants go with Satt.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm

AppSt91 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:42 pm
Don't get me wrong, I think Gillin is as competent as they come and am sure he has a short list. Guess my concern is with continuity assuming the majority of the assistants go with Satt.
This.
And students that transfer and recruits that follow him/staff.
Its going to happen sometime, and it is going to suck when it does.
Best case scenario, we drop off pretty steeply for a couple years until our recruiting base/depth gets built back up.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm
mike houston off the table. UNCC announced his hire a bit ago
Hate this news. UNCC means business. I really hoped for Houston if Satt leaves, and now wth the GT opening, watch out!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:44 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm
AppSt91 wrote:
This.
Best case scenario, we drop off pretty steeply for a couple years until our recruiting base/depth gets built back up.
Come on, that’s certainly not the best-case scenario. Plenty of schools have lost their coach, made a good hire and not missed a beat. Obviously not guaranteed, but certainly not impossible either.

As for raiding the roster, look, I love our guys, but even if Satt wanted to leave the cupboard bare, I don’t think he’s going to want to start out at a P5 job by stocking the roster with players who had no P5 offers. A couple incoming recruits, sure.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:51 pm

GT makes sense for a long list of reasons but hoping they aren't that smart. I called the Houston to UNCC deal awhile back , call me "Captain Obvious" .I did think they might wait on the FCS playoffs but with the early recruiting those days are gone, for better or worse.If things "go south" , we have plenty of options , I have one in particular in mind. In any event I would be shocked if DG doesn't have plans A-Z locked away but within easy reach.Keep the faith my friends we will be fine.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:59 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:44 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppSt91 wrote:
This.
Come on, that’s certainly not the best-case scenario. Plenty of schools have lost their coach, made a good hire and not missed a beat. Obviously not guaranteed, but certainly not impossible either.

As for raiding the roster, look, I love our guys, but even if Satt wanted to leave the cupboard bare, I don’t think he’s going to want to start out at a P5 job by stocking the roster with players who had no P5 offers. A couple incoming recruits, sure.
I really can't see Satt decimating our program if/when he leaves. He's got too many connections to the university and program to want to become a hated villain that led us off a cliff for personal gain. He'll leave us in good shape and we will wish him luck and success until we ever face off against him on the field of play...then it's game on.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:10 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 pm
I hope Doug Gillen has called Mike Houston and told him to wait a few days before accepting the UNCC deal...

Between Louisville/Purdue/GT I just don't see how we make it through.

Man and I thought we were done after UNC
You do realize that there are other coaches that will interview for these jobs as well. Satt isn’t standing by his agent with a lineup of jobs that he gets to pick from.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:13 pm

If they want to continue with the triple option then obviously they won't hire SS. if they do its not exactly easy to change to our type of offense. Ga Tech recruits players to run the option. Lineman aren't great pass blockers and talented wide receivers don't go there for lack of catches. I doubt they have any qb capable of doing well in a more pass oriented offense. Their defense gave up almost 30 points a game with Woody and over 30 if you take away the shutout vs Alcorn State despite being in the top ten for time of possession. As for SS knowing Georgia recruiting App doesn't recruit the same players as Georgia Florida etc. I think it would be at least year 3 before results are seen maybe longer depending on recruiting.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:47 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:59 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:44 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppSt91 wrote:
This.

I really can't see Satt decimating our program if/when he leaves. He's got too many connections to the university and program to want to become a hated villain that led us off a cliff for personal gain. He'll leave us in good shape and we will wish him luck and success until we ever face off against him on the field of play...then it's game on.
I don’t know. He may not, but I feel like the first year he would have to take some of his recruits to prop up the first class. He has been going after the guys that fit in his scheme and P5 programs aren’t very patient for success.
You can’t blame him. He needs to set himself up for success and use the pieces he is familiar with and trusts.
I don’t see a scenario where he leaves and takes no assistant coaches with him and where ,either by his influence or their decision, players and recruits don’t follow him.
I don’t think he will do anything unethical or burn any bridges but I can’t see him going to a P5 job and not taking any pieces with him just to protect the place he is leaving

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Assistant coaches, sure. I’d absolutely expect him to take most of the staff with him.

As for Gillin being prepared, obviously that’s true. What we don’t know (because no one can) is whether whatever coach he hires will work out. Just no sure things at this level. Gillin has been a home run on scheduling, fan responsiveness and facilities improvement. Hopefully he’ll be the same on coaching hires, but we simply don’t have any track record on him there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”