Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mike Houston new Head Coach at Charlotte

3rd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Mike Houston new Head Coach at Charlotte

Unread post by 3rd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:26 am

Let him go.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am

Charlotte can be a good job. I'd rather him go there than him use Satts talent and leave after 3 years

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am
Charlotte can be a good job. I'd rather him go there than him use Satts talent and leave after 3 years
I’d rather be a great coach’s stepping stone than see a bad hire come in and waste our talent. We’re always going to be a great coach’s brief stop unless we find another Jerry.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:05 am

Apptrain wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 am
Rekdiver wrote:
I’d rather be a great coach’s stepping stone than see a bad hire come in and waste our talent. We’re always going to be a great coach’s brief stop unless we find another Jerry.
Bingo.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:05 am
Apptrain wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Bingo.
The game has completely changed now with early signing period it is unlike anything before. I follow recruiting in all our sports very closely. Say Satt leaves this class could be a struggle....then new coach comes in win (which I believe many coaches would with what he still have here) then leaves after 2-3 years. That is 2 classes in 4 years that could be struggle classes.... that is not good for G5. The early signing period proved solid for G5 if coach is staying but couldn't be a worse time if coach is leaving. But everything is ifs and buts so it is what it is and I will keep supporting as I always have no matter and I hope a majority of our fan base takes this view as well.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am

Houston would take less of a risk with Charlotte.
* They are in a weak conference and as bad as they've been, they were a couple wins away from a bowl this year, which if Houston achieves, he'll likely get a bonus.
* Attendance would be easy to increase, as these fans have protested their Chancellor, former AD, and former coach with their absence.
* He wouldn't be compared with a successful predecessor.
* He'd be chosen by a very popular AD, who'd be greatly invested in his success.
* The fan base believes they got their AD and coach fired, so they are also invested in the new guy's success.

But, If he wants to compete for championships, play in front of the state's greatest fans in a remarkable setting, and inherit a very talented team of mainly underclassmen, and live in God's Country... we've got an APP for that.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Seems he is upset that the word got out. He had asked for it to be kept under wraps till they were done playing. Looks like he is not a happy camper.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Football Scoop states that Scotty Montgomery was fired today (with no athletic director in place) for this reason.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm

ECU wants Houston. The 49whiners will be crying in their white zinfadels if the Pirates take their homerun away.

Yahoo sports writer Pete Thamel tweeted: Sources indicating that East Carolina is targeting JMU's Mike Houston for its head coaching job. He has told media in Virginia he's been offered Charlotte. A fascinating stare down is happening. :shock: :shock:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm

moonshine wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm
ECU wants Houston. The 49whiners will be crying in their white zinfadels if the Pirates take their homerun away.

Yahoo sports writer Pete Thamel tweeted: Sources indicating that East Carolina is targeting JMU's Mike Houston for its head coaching job. He has told media in Virginia he's been offered Charlotte. A fascinating stare down is happening. :shock: :shock:

Haha! I would love it if ECU hijacks their hire of Houston. I took a look at their board and they are convinced that UNCC is a better job than ECU and App. I guess we'll see.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm

3rd wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Apptrain wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Bingo.
The game has completely changed now with early signing period it is unlike anything before. I follow recruiting in all our sports very closely. Say Satt leaves this class could be a struggle....then new coach comes in win (which I believe many coaches would with what he still have here) then leaves after 2-3 years. That is 2 classes in 4 years that could be struggle classes.... that is not good for G5. The early signing period proved solid for G5 if coach is staying but couldn't be a worse time if coach is leaving. But everything is ifs and buts so it is what it is and I will keep supporting as I always have no matter and I hope a majority of our fan base takes this view as well.

True... but if you make a bad hire just because you want to avoid anyone who might not stay forever, then your program goes in the tank AND you still wind up looking for a new coach in a few years. Only now he's taking on a rebuild instead of trying to keep a strong program going.

Don't get me wrong, if we can find a coach who'll keep us rolling AND stay in Boone 10+ years, I'm all for it. I just think that's a tough needle to thread.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:33 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm
3rd wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Apptrain wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Bingo.

True... but if you make a bad hire just because you want to avoid anyone who might not stay forever, then your program goes in the tank AND you still wind up looking for a new coach in a few years. Only now he's taking on a rebuild instead of trying to keep a strong program going.

Don't get me wrong, if we can find a coach who'll keep us rolling AND stay in Boone 10+ years, I'm all for it. I just think that's a tough needle to thread.
Agree that is why I put that last part in. However Houston could turn out to be a bad hire. We wont know until it happens and years past that hire if we knew the future we would do the WX Threads.... *looks at you Jeff*

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm
moonshine wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Haha! I would love it if ECU hijacks their hire of Houston. I took a look at their board and they are convinced that UNCC is a better job than ECU and App. I guess we'll see.
Wow. That is just preposterous. I don’t think the most delusional fan in our fan base would have the balls to say something like that.

Those UNCC guys are few and far between but they really might be the most delusional group of people I’ve ever heard of.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:53 pm

We are a better fit for Houston.

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Post on the Sunbelt message board says that even if available, Houston will not be the App coach. It's on the internet, must be true.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 pm

AppSt91 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 pm
Post on the Sunbelt message board says that even if available, Houston will not be the App coach. It's on the internet, must be true.
I'll wait for it to be on Wikipedia.... If it gets there, then there is no argument.
The Appalachian State

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Well, it looks as if Mike Houston could sign with Charlotte tomorrow if he hadn't burned the bridge at Harrisburg. Guess he'll have to settle for ECU's entry-level salary now that he's persona non grata on the UNCC campus! :lol:

Last edited by asu66 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 pm

If Satt leaves. Houston is my #1
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

CharlestonAppFan

Unread post by CharlestonAppFan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Guys, I’ve bit my tongue for a long time on Houston and can’t any longer. I was privy to privileged inside info on The Citadel’s football team during his tenure and it wasn’t pretty. Very unethical methods and coaching tactics were used during his one year there and many were happy to see him go to JMU.

Now, that’s only one college stop and could be an anomaly but nonetheless, I understand that winning is great but it can come with consequences. I’m not trying to demean nor tarnish his coaching legacy (and again this is “hearsay”) but there might be a reason why he stays for only a couple of years and moves on. This is a message board and take it for what you want, but I for one don’t want him here for 2 years and see him leave a program that employs something other than what we at App stand for.

As for Satt, I want him to stay at App. I just can’t imagine him selling out our school for $ (I’m sure that it’s just me because I’ve given up other positions myself to remain loyal, right or wrong). It’s just my opinion and have at it for what you will. The grass isn’t always greener in most cases but he is a good man and his decision will be all his. If he goes, I don’t think he’ll ever be back and that’s very sad. I know I live it every day and wish I could come back to this special place. I think every poster here can relate somewhat. I’m not giving up hope....but hope is eternal and not worth much haha.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:41 pm

CharlestonAppFan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm
Guys, I’ve bit my tongue for a long time on Houston and can’t any longer. I was privy to privileged inside info on The Citadel’s football team during his tenure and it wasn’t pretty. Very unethical methods and coaching tactics were used during his one year there and many were happy to see him go to JMU.

Now, that’s only one college stop and could be an anomaly but nonetheless, I understand that winning is great but it can come with consequences. I’m not trying to demean nor tarnish his coaching legacy (and again this is “hearsay”) but there might be a reason why he stays for only a couple of years and moves on. This is a message board and take it for what you want, but I for one don’t want him here for 2 years and see him leave a program that employs something other than what we at App stand for.

As for Satt, I want him to stay at App. I just can’t imagine him selling out our school for $ (I’m sure that it’s just me because I’ve given up other positions myself to remain loyal, right or wrong). It’s just my opinion and have at it for what you will. The grass isn’t always greener in most cases but he is a good man and his decision will be all his. If he goes, I don’t think he’ll ever be back and that’s very sad. I know I live it every day and wish I could come back to this special place. I think every poster here can relate somewhat. I’m not giving up hope....but hope is eternal and not worth much haha.
Just one man’s opinion and a bit of heresy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”