Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFP Semi Games

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

CFP Semi Games

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Two pretty lopsided games. I hate to say I am pulling for UCF to win convincingly.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Re: CFP Semi Games

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:29 pm

From what I saw out of UCF and the fact they lost their starting QB, I wouldn't expect much different results if they were playing.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Quote from Dave Portnoy (@stoolpresidente) :

Ah a BCS tradition....watching the highly overrated Notre Dame Fighting Irish be exposed as a fraud football team that hasn’t been relevant on a national scale since the 80’s and if they played in a conference would be in the Idaho Potato Bowl every year

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:46 pm

That’s actually my point, they could get throttled just as easily as ND did and probably deserve it just as much 😀

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Notre Dame should never get in until they join a conference. Or get the G5 treatment of needing a miracle in order to get in.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Georgia took the undisputed #1 to the wire and should have won. Notre Dame getting in instead of UGA is a continuation of the joke the BCS was before the playoff. UGA V Clemson would have been an epic battle.
I think independent teams shouldn’t be allowed in the playoff unless they play all top 15 teams all season.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:46 pm
That’s actually my point, they could get throttled just as easily as ND did and probably deserve it just as much 😀
I don’t have a problem with ND getting in - I thought they deserved it. But I think your point is right. People say we can’t let UCF in because *maybe* they’d get blown out. Yet plenty of blueblood teams actually do get blown out in the CFP (and BCS title game before that) and no one ever questions them being there.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Always lots of hindsight regarding the playoff. Look at the final 8. Michigan got throttled as a 7 seed (based on the rankings). UCF loses to Alabama by 60 tonight if they played. Only the middle teams would be competitive against each other. All that maybe needs to happen is expand to 6 with 2 byes. And everybody plays a conference championship game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:52 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:29 pm
Georgia took the undisputed #1 to the wire and should have won. Notre Dame getting in instead of UGA is a continuation of the joke the BCS was before the playoff. UGA V Clemson would have been an epic battle.
I think independent teams shouldn’t be allowed in the playoff unless they play all top 15 teams all season.
Shouldn’t have lost by 20 to LSU then.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 am

The Rock wrote:
I think the continuation of the joke would be putting a two loss team over an undefeated team just because they took Bama to the wire. They still lost and as EastHall pointed out, destroyed by LSU.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:52 pm
The Rock wrote:
Do you really think ND was a better team than UGA?
ND only played 3 top 25 teams. Michigan, Northwestern and Syracuse.
The 7 point win to Michigan looks to be the best win, but Michigan was overrated this year.
Northwestern was #22 and they only won by 10.
Syracuse was really their only big win (points differential) to a decent team and they struggled with a decent Pitt team, who is middle tier ACC at best.

UGA played 5 top 25 teams with big wins over Missouri, Florida and Kentucky.

While getting beat soundly by LSU wasn’t great for them, LSU was ranked #11 and playing really good ball at that time.

The thing about the Alabama loss that probably kept them out of the playoff that is really messed up is:
They were playing for the SEC championship, while ND sat around and rested and healed because they didn’t have a confrence to play for.
UGA did what no one else has done this year and had Alabama beat for 55 + minutes of an “extra” game and they were punished for it.
ND had an extra week of rest than Clemson and didn’t even show up for the game.
Let’s say ND was in ACC And got drubbed by Clemson the way they did tonight in ACC championship game, and UGA nearly beat Bama. Wouldn’t that look a lot different to the committee?
I’m not buying that ND was the better team or the more deserving team. Especially not at the 3 seed and it showed tonight.
Oklahoma’s QB would have carved up the ND defense all night long. ND wouldn’t have been competitive with any of the other 3 teams, or UGA
Last edited by The Rock on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 am
The Rock wrote:
I think the continuation of the joke would be putting a two loss team over an undefeated team just because they took Bama to the wire. They still lost and as EastHall pointed out, destroyed by LSU.
If we are going strictly by wins and losses and not body of work, then why not put in UCF over Oklahoma?
They were beat, albeit closer, by a much lower seeded team than LSU was.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:57 am

Told my wife both would be blowouts before they started. The time for an 8 team playoff has arrived. Letting the same few teams play each other every year has gotten stale, as has trying to convince us that there is no better football out there past the P5. I honestly feel sorry for people when they tell me they don't care about App or G5 football..... It's a more balanced playing field and coaches actually have to coach and teams actually have to win on multiple phases of the game.
The Appalachian State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:03 am

The Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 am
The Rock wrote:
If we are going strictly by wins and losses and not body of work, then why not put in UCF over Oklahoma?
They were beat, albeit closer, by a much lower seeded team than LSU was.
Why not, indeed?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am

The Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am
EastHallApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Do you really think ND was a better team than UGA?
ND only played 3 top 25 teams. Michigan, Northwestern and Syracuse.
The 7 point win to Michigan looks to be the best win, but Michigan was overrated this year.
Northwestern was #22 and they only won by 10.
Syracuse was really their only big win (points differential) to a decent team and they struggled with a decent Pitt team, who is middle tier ACC at best.

UGA played 5 top 25 teams with big wins over Missouri, Florida and Kentucky.

While getting beat soundly by LSU wasn’t great for them, LSU was ranked #11 and playing really good ball at that time.

The thing about the Alabama loss that probably kept them out of the playoff that is really messed up is:
They were playing for the SEC championship, while ND sat around and rested and healed because they didn’t have a confrence to play for.
UGA did what no one else has done this year and had Alabama beat for 55 + minutes of an “extra” game and they were punished for it.
ND had an extra week of rest than Clemson and didn’t even show up for the game.
Let’s say ND was in ACC And got drubbed by Clemson the way they did tonight in ACC championship game, and UGA nearly beat Bama. Wouldn’t that look a lot different to the committee?
I’m not buying that ND was the better team or the more deserving team. Especially not at the 3 seed and it showed tonight.
Oklahoma’s QB would have carved up the ND defense all night long. ND wouldn’t have been competitive with any of the other 3 teams, or UGA
I think Georgia would have beaten Notre Dame. But to me, the playoff is about settling what’s unsettled from the regular season. Georgia had their chance to earn a spot and they didn’t do it. I’d have actually rather seen Ohio State make it than Georgia or Oklahoma, but they had the one really bad loss too.

ND played a reasonably good schedule and went unbeaten. On principle, I want to include teams who do that whenever possible.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 am

Two good teams versus two great teams,plus under any scenario the final two would be the final two.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:36 am

EastHallApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
The point is they are clearly a better team that Notre Dame despite the loss. Do you want to see the best teams or the best record?

edit: I see you have already answered in a post above. I just disagree.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:47 am

The playoff is doing exactly what it was intended to do-keeping people talking, this keeping CFB on everyone’s mind year round, as well as lining the pockets of the haves. The power conferences will use the collective outrage to get even more TV money out of ESPN or whoever when they finally decide to expand. It’s brilliant really.
Give 'em hell!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:14 am

fjblair wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:36 am
EastHallApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
The point is they are clearly a better team that Notre Dame despite the loss. Do you want to see the best teams or the best record?

edit: I see you have already answered in a post above. I just disagree.
And that’s fine, I can see both views. It’s just that sometimes the conventional wisdom about who’s “clearly better” doesn’t hold up when the games are played.

Remember when #1 Ohio State edged #2 Michigan in the regular season finale, and a lot of people thought they should rematch in the title game because they were clearly the two best teams? Instead OSU played Florida and got blown out.

Plenty of other examples where conventional wisdom turned out wrong. And then there are cases where it goes as expected. I just prefer to see those things settled on the field.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

If ND was in the Coastal division this year and didn’t get play Clemson in the regular season they end up playing them in the ACC championship game and most certainly lose. Then you have a one loss ND team versus a two loss Georgia team. Committee still probably puts ND in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”