Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NDSU

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: NDSU

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm
Tatedc wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:07 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 pm
Appftw wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm
If we had played the same P5 cupcakes that NDSU has we would have a very similar record. Likewise if NDSU had played Georgia, Clemson, and other heavyweights like we have, they would also be 0-fer against P5 schools. This is why I want Doug to really try to schedule us winnable P5 games.
Tennessee was not very good the year we lost to them. They were a 5-7 or 6-6 team that year if I remember correctly. Penn State and Georgia are heavyweights but Wake Forest and Tennessee (at the time) were not.

NDSU has not played a P5 the last two years because these schools are scared of them. Iowa was 8-5 in 2016 when NDSU beat them. Without that loss Iowa would have most definitely finished ranked that year. They beat Iowa State by 20 points in 2014 and they were very bad though. They also have wins over Kansas State and Minnesota. I would compare our games against Wake Forest and this year against UNC as like those. Our game with South Carolina this year is probably equal to their Iowa game. They for sure have not played a team as good as Penn State or Georgia though.
Tennessee finished 9-4 and #22 in the nation when we played them. Since 2000 we have NEVER played a p5 that wasn't on the up or in excellent form. We played wake forest and Kansas in some of their best 2-3 seasons in 20 years
Yeah, without looking at it, I'm pretty sure Tenn was one of the better scoring offenses that year too, and we manhandled them defensively.
Someone earlier referenced my beating Kansas question. Obviously I was trying to pick out a perennial doormat “P5”. Sadly a good chunk of our fan base is obsessed with beating ANY P5. Would anyone take a “big” Kansas win and a 4-8 record? Is it that important? I want us to win Every game every year but that’s delusional thinking. I’ll take 10+ wins every year no matter how it’s done.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm

I would love to host NDSU in Boone. It’d be a great game and I have a ton of respect for their fan base. FCS or not.
YNWA

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:09 pm
NDSU has more P5 wins in the last 10 years than we do. They brought 12-15k fans over 1000 miles to their FCS title game. We brought 4500 the 700 miles to Nola. The same reason we didn’t want New Mexico State and Idaho in SBC——unrealistic travel expenses and time away from class is why they likely stay where they are (I have no information other than my intuition). It’s almost 2000 miles from Fargo to San Diego State for example. They are totally different than JMU.
Never realized that. That is absolutely insane. Crazy that like 50% of the state travelled to that game

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm
wncapp78 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:49 am
North Dakota State has won six straight against P5 competition—including a win over No. 13 Iowa. Would I be excited to beat Kansas? Heck yes. The fact is, we are 0 in the P5 win column in the past eleven years, and unlike before we have had two chances at home to win, and didn’t.
Beating Kansas in football is like going to stag to the prom and aiming to bag the ugliest girl there.
If I recall correctly Kansas stomped our ass a few years back, like 38-6 so.....

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 am

Apptrain wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
North Dakota State has won six straight against P5 competition—including a win over No. 13 Iowa. Would I be excited to beat Kansas? Heck yes. The fact is, we are 0 in the P5 win column in the past eleven years, and unlike before we have had two chances at home to win, and didn’t.
Beating Kansas in football is like going to stag to the prom and aiming to bag the ugliest girl there.
If I recall correctly Kansas stomped our ass a few years back, like 38-6 so.....
Yes they did. But you forgot this is the make ourselves look good by downgrading others thread. Same people who celebrated 3 National Championships now call 7 not meaningful.
They only beat Iowa, Kansas and Minnesota. But we LOST to Georgia, Wake, Tennessee and Clemson so that makes us better.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 am

ASUchipman wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 am
Apptrain wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
Yes they did. But you forgot this is the make ourselves look good by downgrading others thread. Same people who celebrated 3 National Championships now call 7 not meaningful.
They only beat Iowa, Kansas and Minnesota. But we LOST to Georgia, Wake, Tennessee and Clemson so that makes us better.
That's not quite accurate. Regardless of the level of football, what NDSU has done is impressive. But to sit here and say it is greater than what FCS teams have done in the past is crazy. There is a reason some of us were adamate about making the move up to FBS. The writing was on the wall with FCS, it has become so watered down that it looks like the NJCAA. NDSU has the benefit of factors that allow them to build more talent and they do it better than anyone at the FCS level for sustainable success. They run a nice offensive system that stands up well to BIG10 opponents (and MAC) blending Power O with spread concepts. Speed and misdirection kill a lot of these P5s that are built on size and strength, we should know. When a smaller team can properly execute in this system, they should win more often than not.

We've all made fair points about NDSU, and for you to poo poo all of them like we are jealous is ridiculous. I said it before and I'll say it again, App would beat them by 2 TDs atleast. We match up better in terms of team speed. Same reason why I can name dozens of P5s that we would beat. Unfortunately, App has matched up against the top half of P5 versus the middle or bottom. I mean, Clemson and UGA were National Title contenders the years we played them. Looking back to FCS days, we were playing LSU, Michigan and NC St (when they were good).
The Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 am

ASUchipman wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 am
Apptrain wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
I think you can equally praise NDSU for an incredible run that’s impressive at any level, while still understanding that the FCS in its current format is not the league it once was. We recognized that and got out, as I suspect NDSU will eventually do too.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 am

Tatedc wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Appftw wrote:
If we had played the same P5 cupcakes that NDSU has we would have a very similar record. Likewise if NDSU had played Georgia, Clemson, and other heavyweights like we have, they would also be 0-fer against P5 schools. This is why I want Doug to really try to schedule us winnable P5 games.
Tennessee was not very good the year we lost to them. They were a 5-7 or 6-6 team that year if I remember correctly. Penn State and Georgia are heavyweights but Wake Forest and Tennessee (at the time) were not.

NDSU has not played a P5 the last two years because these schools are scared of them. Iowa was 8-5 in 2016 when NDSU beat them. Without that loss Iowa would have most definitely finished ranked that year. They beat Iowa State by 20 points in 2014 and they were very bad though. They also have wins over Kansas State and Minnesota. I would compare our games against Wake Forest and this year against UNC as like those. Our game with South Carolina this year is probably equal to their Iowa game. They for sure have not played a team as good as Penn State or Georgia though.
Tennessee finished 9-4 and #22 in the nation when we played them. Since 2000 we have NEVER played a p5 that wasn't on the up or in excellent form. We played wake forest and Kansas in some of their best 2-3 seasons in 20 years
Tennessee was still down that year compared to what they are use to. They weren't up or in excellent form. The others were for sure. Still though a 7-5 or 6-6 Wake Forest team is good for them and if we are top 25 we should beat those teams.

Perception is perception and right now voters have not seen a team who can upset a P5 team, and no matter how bad the P5 team is we are not suppose to beat them and NDSU certainly is not suppose to either. If we want to be ranked we can't lose to teams outside of the top 15. Plain and simple.

UNC should still not be a winning team in 2019 and South Carolina has a brutal schedule with us in a prime spot to be a trap game. We have no excuse in 2019. Have to win these games.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 am
Tatedc wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Appftw wrote:

Tennessee was still down that year compared to what they are use to. They weren't up or in excellent form. The others were for sure. Still though a 7-5 or 6-6 Wake Forest team is good for them and if we are top 25 we should beat those teams.

Perception is perception and right now voters have not seen a team who can upset a P5 team, and no matter how bad the P5 team is we are not suppose to beat them and NDSU certainly is not suppose to either. If we want to be ranked we can't lose to teams outside of the top 15. Plain and simple.

UNC should still not be a winning team in 2019 and South Carolina has a brutal schedule with us in a prime spot to be a trap game. We have no excuse in 2019. Have to win these games.
There are many we would be favored against. I would venture to say that we will be favored against UNC this year.
WE ARE YOSEF!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
That may have been the best team Tennessee has fielded in a decade...
Give 'em hell!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
That may have been the best team Tennessee has fielded in a decade...
Which is not saying much because Tennessee has not been good in the last decade. I bet they have finished ranked twice in 10-12 years. It is not the 90s anymore.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tatedc wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Appftw wrote:

There are many we would be favored against. I would venture to say that we will be favored against UNC this year.
And we should have to beat them all to stay ranked. I would imagine if we lose to anyone and we are ranked #18 that we will fall out completely instead of a drop to like 23-25 like many teams would do.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm
goapps93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tatedc wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

And we should have to beat them all to stay ranked. I would imagine if we lose to anyone and we are ranked #18 that we will fall out completely instead of a drop to like 23-25 like many teams would do.
As a G5 ranked #18 we should probably drop out if we lose to ANY unranked team. But it would also depend on who we've beaten. It's not as cut and dried as you would apparently like for it to be.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm
goapps93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tatedc wrote:

As a G5 ranked #18 we should probably drop out if we lose to ANY unranked team. But it would also depend on who we've beaten. It's not as cut and dried as you would apparently like for it to be.
With our schedule, if we lose to any team we are out and we should be out. If we were in the ACC or SEC then it is not cut and dry. The only way we could lose next year and remain ranked is if we are undefeated and top 20 going to Columbia, they are ranked, and we lose a close game. If we lose to UNC or any team besides South Carolina there is no shot we can remain ranked and still lose, no matter the score.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”