Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Young to Va Tech

wncapp78
School: Appalachian State

Young to Va Tech

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Mike Young to Va Tech. Great move for Hokies.

hapapp

Re: Young to Va Tech

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:52 pm

He's going home.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Hope Kerns sticks with us and doesn’t jump to Wofford

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm

app97 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:06 pm
I don’t see this being remotely likely since we’ve already hired him, can’t see him leaving like that. Good thing we already hired him though.

If he had his choice between both I wonder which he would have gone with.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:44 pm

app97 wrote:
I would be more worried about him going to be an assistant at Tech

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm
app97 wrote:
I don’t see this being remotely likely since we’ve already hired him, can’t see him leaving like that. Good thing we already hired him though.

Phones have been hot..hot...hot all weekend. In all honesty, DK may still have those two options and/or the option to go to VT as an assistant under Young. Fasten your seatbelts for a wild week.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:50 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm
app97 wrote:

It was a different situation, and a lot more money involved, but Chris Beard was UNLV’s coach for 19 days a few years ago before accepting at Texas Tech, after his one year at UALR. The good thing for us (I think) is that Boone is pretty close to home for Kerns, although Blacksburg and Spartanburg aren’t that much further.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am

66, you seem to have good info.

Everything I’m reading makes me believe VT is in a very difficult position right now. Lost senior leadership, one guy announced he’s leaving early, 2-3 others are transferring and their recruits are backing out. I get that an assistant there may make more than what we can pay, but as far as his career, I would think App would put him in a better position to land a high major coaching gig in the next 5 years.

As far as Wofford, I get he coached there and I would imagine they have a decent roster coming back next year, despite losing Magee, but looking at everything else, again I am biased, but it seems like App is a a more favorable destination....based on what we have coming back, the potential to make noise in our conference, Salary, enrollment (attendance potential). It may be more plug and play at Wofford, but we would have a higher ceiling.

Should we be worried about these rumors?

AppySprayberry

Unread post by AppySprayberry » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:55 am

After the year Wofford had, surely the possibility of this happening was on Doug's radar. I can't imagine that they didn't discuss it in the interview process.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I didn't intend to start a rumor, I was just speculating since Kerns spent some years with Young at Wofford. I also figured that the associate HC there would have a pretty decent shot at the job. Here's the latest from Hoopdirt...

Early names at Wofford include current Terriers associate head coach Jay McAuley and Minnesota assistant coach Ed Conroy (former head coach at Tulane and The Citadel). More on this one shortly

also, this...

It sounds like new Appalachian State head coach Dustin Kerns will retain current Mountaineers associate head coach Jason Allison. The former VMI assistant has been on the App State bench for the past five seasons.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am

Everything I’m reading makes me believe VT is in a very difficult position right now. Lost senior leadership, one guy announced he’s leaving early, 2-3 others are transferring and their recruits are backing out. I get that an assistant there may make more than what we can pay, but as far as his career, I would think App would put him in a better position to land a high major coaching gig in the next 5 years.

As far as Wofford, I get he coached there and I would imagine they have a decent roster coming back next year, despite losing Magee, but looking at everything else, again I am biased, but it seems like App is a a more favorable destination....based on what we have coming back, the potential to make noise in our conference, Salary, enrollment (attendance potential). It may be more plug and play at Wofford, but we would have a higher ceiling.

Before I retired, I was paid to worry about everything in our organization for more than 38 years in two or three different capacities. That's a hard habit to break. I remain a worrier!

Still, we're in agreement that DK should attach himself to everything App State MBB and put visions of other "opportunities" aside until he's proved himself capable of building a legacy of his own. He just skipped out of a five-year commitment to PC after only two years. I doubt he could ever explain away skipping out of a five-year commitment to App after only two weeks. He's no Chris Beard (yet). ;)

This week could still become a "Wild, Wild West" imitation if certain shoes drop...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:41 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am

Before I retired, I was paid to worry about everything in our organization for more than 38 years in two or three different capacities. That's a hard habit to break. I remain a worrier!

Still, we're in agreement that DK should attach himself to everything App State MBB and put visions of other "opportunities" aside until he's proved himself capable of building a legacy of his own. He just skipped out of a five-year commitment to PC after only two years. I doubt he could ever explain away skipping out of a five-year commitment to App after only two weeks. He's no Chris Beard (yet). ;)

This week could still become a "Wild, Wild West" imitation if certain shoes drop...

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Wofford is loaded for next year although 2 starters graduate. They are deep. But I think these are situations DG had to think about. I’d expect their Assoc HC to move up.
And also in their pot—I’d expect their AD to be the next SoCon Commissioner.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:08 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 pm
Wofford is loaded for next year although 2 starters graduate. They are deep. But I think these are situations DG had to think about. I’d expect their Assoc HC to move up.
And also in their pot—I’d expect their AD to be the next SoCon Commissioner.
Sounds about right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”